British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Question about sending passport via USPS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/question-about-sending-passport-via-usps-581931/)

thebrit123 Jan 5th 2009 11:31 am

Question about sending passport via USPS

Has anyone else sent their passport, for a renewal, to the UK passport centre in Washington via United States Postal Service?

I mailed mine out last week and requested that I got a confirmation of delivery. Well, this morning I tracked it via the USPS website and noticed that they tried to deliver on Saturday Jan 3rd. It states that a "notice was left" as I guess the office was closed. Hopefully they will send someone to pick up my passport at the local post office. It is making me nervous that I have screwed up by using the USPS.

robin1234 Jan 5th 2009 1:18 pm

Re: Question about sending passport via USPS

Originally Posted by thebrit123 (Post 7128180)
Has anyone else sent their passport, for a renewal, to the UK passport centre in Washington via United States Postal Service?

I mailed mine out last week and requested that I got a confirmation of delivery. Well, this morning I tracked it via the USPS website and noticed that they tried to deliver on Saturday Jan 3rd. It states that a "notice was left" as I guess the office was closed. Hopefully they will send someone to pick up my passport at the local post office. It is making me nervous that I have screwed up by using the USPS.

I don't think you screwed up. USPS is very reliable, I've never used any other service... I've sent UK passports to DC for renewal several times (mine & the children's) and never had a problem. That's what the postal service is for!

Rete Jan 5th 2009 2:40 pm

They will attempt redelivery today (Monday).

thebrit123 Jan 5th 2009 4:50 pm

Thanks for all the reassurance. I was started to believe that it might have been a mistake to use the USPS.

englishinfl Jan 5th 2009 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by thebrit123 (Post 7129108)
Thanks for all the reassurance. I was started to believe that it might have been a mistake to use the USPS.

When I sent mine via USPS for renewal to them a couple of years ago I didn't have any problem. USPS was fine. I'd almost think it may be likely that the passport centre will just call USPS and have them redeliver it to them once they get the notice. I wouldn't panic about it if I were you.

Duncan Roberts Jan 5th 2009 6:15 pm

USPS is weird. I've had things like that happen to packages delivered to me at work. It sounds stupid but this is their explanation. Some places like offices and the embassy are closed on Saturday so no mail goes out for delivery to them on Saturday but the the rest of the mail in that delivery area doesn't stop. All tracking items get scanned as part of the delivery package for the mailman even if they are not going to be delivered. That's where the delivery attempt notification comes in, it's a standard message that gets tagged on because it's the closest to "mail was delivered today but your package wasn't because the place doesn't receive mail today so will be delivered on the next scheduled delivery day." In reality your package was sitting at the post office with the rest of the mail for the embassy for delivery today.

meauxna Jan 5th 2009 7:40 pm

What Duncan said.

It happens with the immigration offices a lot.