Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question about sending passport via USPS

Question about sending passport via USPS

Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

thebrit123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about sending passport via USPS

Has anyone else sent their passport, for a renewal, to the UK passport centre in Washington via United States Postal Service?

I mailed mine out last week and requested that I got a confirmation of delivery. Well, this morning I tracked it via the USPS website and noticed that they tried to deliver on Saturday Jan 3rd. It states that a "notice was left" as I guess the office was closed. Hopefully they will send someone to pick up my passport at the local post office. It is making me nervous that I have screwed up by using the USPS.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 1:18 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about sending passport via USPS

Originally Posted by thebrit123
Has anyone else sent their passport, for a renewal, to the UK passport centre in Washington via United States Postal Service?

I mailed mine out last week and requested that I got a confirmation of delivery. Well, this morning I tracked it via the USPS website and noticed that they tried to deliver on Saturday Jan 3rd. It states that a "notice was left" as I guess the office was closed. Hopefully they will send someone to pick up my passport at the local post office. It is making me nervous that I have screwed up by using the USPS.
I don't think you screwed up. USPS is very reliable, I've never used any other service... I've sent UK passports to DC for renewal several times (mine & the children's) and never had a problem. That's what the postal service is for!
Old Jan 5th 2009, 2:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

They will attempt redelivery today (Monday).
Old Jan 5th 2009, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

thebrit123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the reassurance. I was started to believe that it might have been a mistake to use the USPS.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 5:15 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebrit123
Thanks for all the reassurance. I was started to believe that it might have been a mistake to use the USPS.
When I sent mine via USPS for renewal to them a couple of years ago I didn't have any problem. USPS was fine. I'd almost think it may be likely that the passport centre will just call USPS and have them redeliver it to them once they get the notice. I wouldn't panic about it if I were you.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

USPS is weird. I've had things like that happen to packages delivered to me at work. It sounds stupid but this is their explanation. Some places like offices and the embassy are closed on Saturday so no mail goes out for delivery to them on Saturday but the the rest of the mail in that delivery area doesn't stop. All tracking items get scanned as part of the delivery package for the mailman even if they are not going to be delivered. That's where the delivery attempt notification comes in, it's a standard message that gets tagged on because it's the closest to "mail was delivered today but your package wasn't because the place doesn't receive mail today so will be delivered on the next scheduled delivery day." In reality your package was sitting at the post office with the rest of the mail for the embassy for delivery today.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 7:40 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

What Duncan said.

It happens with the immigration offices a lot.