Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question about the Heathrow Express....

Question about the Heathrow Express....

Old Feb 14th 2005, 8:26 pm
Gurning up a storm!

Location: Just moved back to NH from UK after the wife and I tried living in UK
Suffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura about
Default Question about the Heathrow Express....

Hi All,

Just a couple of questions about travel on London underground.

The wife and I are shortly getting on a plane at Heathrow to emigrate to the USA (for the second time!).

This time though - we've decided to take the Heathrow Express train from Paddington underground , to Heathrow Airport.

My question is - are there TWO stations at Paddington? It looks like there are on the London underground map (unusually!)

If so - which one do we need? The one that sits on the Pink (Hammersmith and city) line? Or the one that sits on the Yellow and Green (circle and district line)?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated - as I've never been to Paddington before (we usually travel to Heathrow entirely on the tube via the Picadilly line - which takes AGES. Using the Heathrow Express is alot quicker it seems.

Many thanks in advance, and sorry if this thread is in the wrong location!

Bumpkin
Old Feb 14th 2005, 8:38 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about the Heathrow Express....

I'll reckon it's the one on the right on the Circle and District. I doubt the heathrow express would go to some shoddy little station on just the Hammersmith line.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 8:49 pm
Another gloomy day!

hayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Suffolk Bumpkin
Hi All,

Just a couple of questions about travel on London underground.

The wife and I are shortly getting on a plane at Heathrow to emigrate to the USA (for the second time!).

This time though - we've decided to take the Heathrow Express train from Paddington underground , to Heathrow Airport.

My question is - are there TWO stations at Paddington? It looks like there are on the London underground map (unusually!)

If so - which one do we need? The one that sits on the Pink (Hammersmith and city) line? Or the one that sits on the Yellow and Green (circle and district line)?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated - as I've never been to Paddington before (we usually travel to Heathrow entirely on the tube via the Picadilly line - which takes AGES. Using the Heathrow Express is alot quicker it seems.

Many thanks in advance, and sorry if this thread is in the wrong location!

Bumpkin
Paddington is just one station, but there are two parts, the underground platforms and the train platforms, all signed. If you are getting there by tube, just follow the signs to all trains. If not, you'll be in the right part! I think the Heathrow Express goes from platform 4, it's very quick, just 15 to 20 minutes. And it costs 15 GBP. I used to work at Heathrow and I've been on it lots of times to Paddington. I hope this is helpful to you!
Old Feb 14th 2005, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well not quicker, or if so marginally.

I used to travel from Tower Hill, did Paddington Heathrow once. By the time you change and carrying the luggage etc it was not worth it, never mind the extra cost.

There is actually 4 underground lines at Paddington.

Circle/District - if coming from East you will need to use the overpass, so up and down stairs, then through the connecting tunnel and up into the main concourse, the ticket office is to your fron right, not the main ticket office.

Bakerloo - if you go the wrong way then you end up coming out the above route, there is a shortcut that brings you out down a corridor and then the ticket office to the left, just a few steps.

The Hammersmith and City is half way down the Station, more steps both up and down and then a walk back down the station with the ticket office being on your right.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 9:20 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Or you could just ask, like I did, the kind people will tell you, the best way, where to pay, how much to pay and where to go. Far easier.

alan
Old Feb 14th 2005, 9:54 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Question about the Heathrow Express....

Originally Posted by Boiler

I used to travel from Tower Hill, did Paddington Heathrow once. By the time you change and carrying the luggage etc it was not worth it, never mind the extra cost.

Yes but if the O/P is flying from Terminal 4 (eg. British Airways) they won't be able to take the Underground anyway.....it's closed until Sept 2006 and the Heathrow Express is the alternative route. I've been on it a few times and it's much better than taking the Piccadilly Line....at least there's space for one's cases and it's a nice comfy seat....plus it is so quick:

Here's the info on the Underground airport station closure:

http://askba-questions.custhelp.com/...p?p_faqid=2491
Old Feb 14th 2005, 11:28 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Last time I travelled on the Express it was £17 one way and £25 return, (to be used within a month).

Damn good service even though they've shown the same video re-run, (apart from the news) every single time I've travelled on it for the past year and a half!

Oh, and there are two stations on your way there as it stops at terminals 1,2 and 3 first before getting to terminal 4, (the track is looped and will always stop at 1,2 and 3 before or after terminal 4 depending on which way you're headed).

You can't miss the Heathrow Express at Paddington as there are two or three dedicated tracks - just hop on the nearest one.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Yes but if the O/P is flying from Terminal 4 (eg. British Airways) they won't be able to take the Underground anyway.....it's closed until Sept 2006 and the Heathrow Express is the alternative route. I've been on it a few times and it's much better than taking the Piccadilly Line....at least there's space for one's cases and it's a nice comfy seat....plus it is so quick:

Here's the info on the Underground airport station closure:

http://askba-questions.custhelp.com/...p?p_faqid=2491
Now that I did not know - 20 months to do a junction?
Old Feb 15th 2005, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

Its £13 one way. £25 r/t.

In regard to underground service to Terminal 4 - there is a replacement shuttle bus.

Also you can take the Heathrow express free within the airport.

If you would rather take a car service - brilliant rates at:

www.justairports.com and www.totallyairports.com
Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:05 am
Gurning up a storm!

Suffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Boiler

We're coming in from Liverpool St.

The Picadilly line to Heathrow takes a long a** time. And the swap at Holburn is a horrible, dirty station, deep underground.....bleargh!!

I think if we can get to Picadilly from Liverpool St. in 30 mins we'll be OK (9 stops). Then 15 mins to Heathrow terminal 3.....thats 45 mins. total.- instead of over an hour on the Picadilly line.

I usually plan as meticulously as possible like this when travelling - it reduces my stress levels, and boredom levels too! (sitting around at airports for 3 hours...snore)

Many thanks for everyones great help......may the great god of trains, planes and automobiles keep you all safe and on time

Bumpkin
Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:36 am
Just Joined

Leky is an unknown quantity at this point

you could also take the coach
http://www.nationalexpress.com/home/hp.cfm

As I'm a Norfolk bumpkin, I also have to go to Liverpool street & it's a royal pain (especially if you are like me & take enough stuff to last a few months
And are also loaded down with t-bags, sausage rolls, pork pies etc). There is a bit of walking up & down stairs at liverpool st. Anyway for the Heathrow Express just make sure you are in the British rail station (upstairs) & not the underground (downstairs). Also when you buy your regular train ticket just get it to Heathrow (make sure you state that you will be using the Heathrow Express) I don't think it's any cheaper but it is more convenient.

Have a good trip
Old Feb 15th 2005, 12:00 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Question about the Heathrow Express....

Blimey.....if it was me (I didn't realise that Bumpkin would be starting his journey from Suffolk) I wouldn't dream of taking numerous trains to get to Heathrow if I had large suitcases.

I would just rent a car for the day (one way drop) and leave it at one of the Heathrow depots.....they all provide a shuttle service to the terminals. The cheapest car rental companies tend to be Sixt Kenning and Enterprise, but there is also British Car Rentals plus the biggies (Hertz, Avis and Budget).

By the time the rail fares are taken into account it will surely be cheaper to rent a car....
Old Feb 15th 2005, 1:57 pm
Another gloomy day!

hayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=Leky]you could also take the coach

When I go home (my parents live in Cornwall) I've taken the coach the last few times. With two big cases, it's so much easier and you don't have to worry about keeping an eye on them. Also it's cheaper, yes it takes longer but I find it alot less stressful!
Old Feb 15th 2005, 4:03 pm
Gurning up a storm!

[QUOTE=hayley82]
Originally Posted by Leky
you could also take the coach

When I go home (my parents live in Cornwall) I've taken the coach the last few times. With two big cases, it's so much easier and you don't have to worry about keeping an eye on them. Also it's cheaper, yes it takes longer but I find it alot less stressful!
yup - driving to Heathrow is a bit too stressful for the Wife and I. train travel is about as relaxing as travel gets IMHO.
Hacking my way through traffic around London , before I have to fly, would drive me nuts...

As for using the coach network - yup - let someone else do the driving. Only problem is that you can still get held up in congestion.

A mate and I went to Tenerife a few years ago and got the coach from Norwich to Heathrow. Luckily, we set off with over 3 hours to spare - the journey took nearly 2 hours longer than it was timetabled, and I was just about chewing the headrest on the seat in front by the time we arrived. 'cough'

Its definately the rail for me.......gonna miss it in the US.

BTW - does anyone in the Norwich area want a nice Vauxhall Astra going for a pittance?
Its 1991 - 12 months MOT, 5 months TAX , good bodywork- it is a great starter, and has always been very reliable. We'd take £100.00 for it. If you know someone who needs a little runabout - this is a steal......

Cheers, all

Bumpkin.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 6:33 am
Just Joined

Leky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Suffolk Bumpkin
yup - driving to Heathrow is a bit too stressful for the Wife and I. train travel is about as relaxing as travel gets IMHO.
Hacking my way through traffic around London , before I have to fly, would drive me nuts...

As for using the coach network - yup - let someone else do the driving. Only problem is that you can still get held up in congestion.

A mate and I went to Tenerife a few years ago and got the coach from Norwich to Heathrow. Luckily, we set off with over 3 hours to spare - the journey took nearly 2 hours longer than it was timetabled, and I was just about chewing the headrest on the seat in front by the time we arrived. 'cough'

Its definately the rail for me.......gonna miss it in the US.

BTW - does anyone in the Norwich area want a nice Vauxhall Astra going for a pittance?
Its 1991 - 12 months MOT, 5 months TAX , good bodywork- it is a great starter, and has always been very reliable. We'd take £100.00 for it. If you know someone who needs a little runabout - this is a steal......

Cheers, all

Bumpkin.
Hi Suff Bumpkin,

Will pass that info to my mum in Gt Yar, she may need a run around car..

Norfikk Bumpkin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.