Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

question about credit

question about credit

Old May 1st 2002, 10:40 pm
Cameron...

Default question about credit

Moving from Canada to the U.S. do I have to re-establish my credit? Or can I use
credit cards from Canada as references? Curious how it works.

Secondly, what happens when I bring my car down there? I'm wondering what sort of
procedures are involved (ie. registration and all that).

Pretty sure no one can help but I'm gonna throw it out there anyway.... if I have a
couple of unpaid parking tickets (for a Canadian car) that are a year or two old, how
will this effect me getting a driver's license or registering the same car down
there? I'd like to pay the tickets but I believe they add pretty heavy late charges
so who knows how much they're worth by now.

Thanks for any help.

Old May 2nd 2002, 12:53 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: question about credit

You need a compliance letter from the manufacturer of the vehicle stating the car meets the DOT specs for the US. You will need to have your auto insured before you can register it in the state you are moving to. That might be a problem if you are in a state that will not give you a license until you have a green card and the insurance insists on a US driver's license before issuing insurance. Then again, some insurance companies will insured your car if you have a Canadian license. GEICO was willing to insure my Canadian husband's car without him having a NY state DL.

As for credit someone reported that Bank of America (at least one branch) was willing to take a Canadian credit report for a US reference on a US card. Our personal experience was that was not the case for my husband who was 57 at the time with excellent credit in Canada and he was a home owner, etc. Had to start fresh. I added him to one of my cards and with my excellent record he had a good credit standing inside of a few months.

As for your unpaid tickets, they will not affect you down here but if you ever return to Canada, will they deny you a driver's license and/or registration if you tried to reinstate your Canadian DL and registration?

Rita
Old May 2nd 2002, 2:10 am
Cameron...

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the parking tickets are from visiting the U.S. Thanks
for the other info.

"Rete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > You need a compliance letter from the manufacturer of the vehicle stating the car
    > meets the DOT specs for the US. You will need to have your auto insured before you
    > can register it in the state you are moving to. That might be a problem if you are
    > in a state that will not give you a license until you have a green card and the
    > insurance insists on a US driver's license before issuing insurance. Then again,
    > some insurance companies will insured your car if you have a Canadian license.
    > GEICO was willing to insure my Canadian husband's car without him having a NY
    > state DL.
    >
    > As for credit someone reported that Bank of America (at least one branch) was
    > willing to take a Canadian credit report for a US reference on a US card. Our
    > personal experience was that was not the case for my husband who was 57 at the time
    > with excellent credit in Canada and he was a home owner, etc. Had to start fresh. I
    > added him to one of my cards and with my excellent record he had a good credit
    > standing inside of a few months.
    >
    > As for your unpaid tickets, they will not affect you down here but if you ever
    > return to Canada, will they deny you a driver's license and/or registration if you
    > tried to reinstate your Canadian DL and registration?
    >
    > Rita
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    >
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 2nd 2002, 2:40 am
Bea

Some banks, it seems, are able and willing to do a Canadian credit check. I have
managed (with alot of prodding) to get Key bank to do this, in order to provide me
with credit. Other banks have said they can't do this. If you can't get a bank to do
this, the other option would be to have them give you a "secured" credit card -
secured against a certain amount of funds in your account that you have to keep in
there, just to get started. After a year or so they won't need the security any more.

"Cameron..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]> ...
    > Moving from Canada to the U.S. do I have to re-establish my credit? Or can I use
    > credit cards from Canada as references? Curious how it works.
    >
    > Secondly, what happens when I bring my car down there? I'm wondering what sort of
    > procedures are involved (ie. registration and all that).
    >
    > Pretty sure no one can help but I'm gonna throw it out there anyway.... if I have a
    > couple of unpaid parking tickets (for a Canadian car) that are a year or two old,
    > how will this effect me getting a driver's license or registering the same car down
    > there? I'd like to pay the tickets but I believe they add pretty heavy late charges
    > so who knows how much they're worth by now.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

Old May 2nd 2002, 2:40 am
Cameron...

One other thing.... when can I apply for a state driver's license? I assume it varies
by state (I'd be in Washington St.) but if I have to wait until I have a green card
what do I do in the meantime while waiting for my I-485 adjustment? Use my Canadian
license or just not drive?

"Rete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > You need a compliance letter from the manufacturer of the vehicle stating the car
    > meets the DOT specs for the US. You will need to have your auto insured before you
    > can register it in the state you are moving to. That might be a problem if you are
    > in a state that will not give you a license until you have a green card and the
    > insurance insists on a US driver's license before issuing insurance. Then again,
    > some insurance companies will insured your car if you have a Canadian license.
    > GEICO was willing to insure my Canadian husband's car without him having a NY
    > state DL.
    >
    > As for credit someone reported that Bank of America (at least one branch) was
    > willing to take a Canadian credit report for a US reference on a US card. Our
    > personal experience was that was not the case for my husband who was 57 at the time
    > with excellent credit in Canada and he was a home owner, etc. Had to start fresh. I
    > added him to one of my cards and with my excellent record he had a good credit
    > standing inside of a few months.
    >
    > As for your unpaid tickets, they will not affect you down here but if you ever
    > return to Canada, will they deny you a driver's license and/or registration if you
    > tried to reinstate your Canadian DL and registration?
    >
    > Rita
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    >
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 2nd 2002, 6:10 am
Mrpher

> One other thing.... when can I apply for a state driver's license? I assume it
    > varies by state (I'd be in Washington St.) but if I have to wait until I have a
    > green card what do I do in the meantime while waiting for my I-485 adjustment? Use
    > my Canadian license or just not drive?
    >

I dont know about Washington but in California all my wife had to do was show she had
a social security number or in the fact she wasnt able to get one, to get a denial
letter from the social security agency stating she wasnt able to be approved for a
SSN. Basically have proof or show you arent able to get one. Again, dont know if its
the same for Washington

Old May 2nd 2002, 9:40 am
Greg Van Westen

Cameron,

I moved to the USA from Canada in 1998 on a TN Visa. I had (emphasis on HAD)
excellent credit in Canada. Unfortunately, my driving record and credit record
did not follow me down to Texas. I applied for several credit cards and was
promptly rejected from all of them. I finally got a secured credit card with a
$600 credit limit for the low low security deposit of $600. I was also planning
to purchase a Nissan 300Z - that is until I checked out what my insurance rates
would be. No driving record, single male, high performance car, speeding ticket
(Note that negative events DO FOLLOW YOU, but your good insurance record of no
accidents does not ;-( ). The insurance was more than the car payment. I decided
on a nice 4 door sedan.

You must investigate if you can import your car to the USA. I drove a VW Corrado
in Canada and was attached to it. I was not able to import it to the USA. Be
careful of this.

Greg

> Moving from Canada to the U.S. do I have to re-establish my credit? Or
can
    > I use credit cards from Canada as references? Curious how it works.
    >
    > Secondly, what happens when I bring my car down there? I'm wondering what sort of
    > procedures are involved (ie. registration and all that).
    >
    > Pretty sure no one can help but I'm gonna throw it out there anyway.... if
I
    > have a couple of unpaid parking tickets (for a Canadian car) that are a
year
    > or two old, how will this effect me getting a driver's license or registering the
    > same car down there? I'd like to pay the tickets but I believe they add pretty
    > heavy late charges so who knows how much they're worth by now.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

Old May 2nd 2002, 3:10 pm
Dj

Bank of America will check your Canadian credit, all you have to do is ask....no
prodding needed! All they needed was a SIN number and they were off.

DJ

"Bea" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Some banks, it seems, are able and willing to do a Canadian credit check. I have
    > managed (with alot of prodding) to get Key bank to do this, in order to provide
    > me with credit. Other banks have said they can't do this. If you can't get a bank
    > to do this, the other option would be to have them give you a "secured" credit
    > card - secured against a certain amount of funds in your account that you have to
    > keep in there, just to get started. After a year or so they won't need the
    > security any more.

Old May 2nd 2002, 3:10 pm
Dj

> Unfortunately, my driving record and credit record did not follow me down to Texas.
    > I applied for several
credit
    > cards and was promptly rejected from all of them.

They don't "follow" you, they still remain in Canada, but there are US companies that
will search both your driving and credit record in Canada.

I used Bank Of America to get a credit card in the US based on my Canadian credit
history (which was excellent). All they wanted was my SIN number. Many local banks
will do this to, but you will probably have to spend time convincing some of them to
do the Canadian credit check.

I used State Farm Insurance to get insurance for a truck in Oklahoma, they wanted my
Ontario drivers license number so that they could check my driving record. My
insurance is now extremely reasonable and much much cheaper than what I'm used to
paying in Canada.

HTH

DJ

Old May 2nd 2002, 4:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

DJ

You have been one very very fortunate Canadian individual. I applaud your success in obtaining a credit card in the US based on your Canadian credit rating. However, although your experience is invaluable and a booster shot in the arm for other Canadians migrating to the US, I have to say that you and only one Canadian have experienced this generosity in the US credit industry.

At the age of 57, being a home owner, never defaulting a credit card, with a savings account, etc. my Canuck was not able to get any credit card company or our bank, The Bank of New York, to access his Canadian credit record. He has a Bank of Nova Scotia visa card and he even tried their New York based bank and they refused.

So again I reiterate, your experience and that of one other Canadian is unique.

As for auto insurance, this is a matter of company and state. I personally would not touch State Farm for auto, life or health insurance. Nor would I touch Alstate.

My insurance put my husband on my insurance before we were married and offered to insure his Canadian registered car as well as he was unable to register it in New York State.

As for price differences between Canada and the US, there are variables in play here that you have not touched upon. Demographics play as large a part in insurance costs as driving records, make of vehicle, equipment in vehicle, safety record of vehicle, etc. For our two cars (2000 and 2001) with driver, passenger and side airbags, ABS, etc. we pay $2,400 a year. Neither of us have had an accident in 10 years, or a traffic ticket. It is based on location, suburban New York, type of vehicle, etc. Move us to rural Virginia and our annual premium would be around $1,200.

So for all your Canadians out there ... shop around for credit cards and car insurance. If turned down, continue hunting. You will find someone willing to insure you and trust you with their money. Hey the NJ winner of the $58 Million powerball lottery is reported to owe $202,000 on a total of 70 credit cards.

Rita
Old May 2nd 2002, 4:10 pm
Susan

Hi there,

I just went this week to apply for a Washington State drivers license. (came here on
a K-1 Visa) I've been driving with my Canadian Drivers license up until now, but I
believe it says that you have to get a WA state license within 30 days of taking up
residence here. I just went in with my Canadian Drivers License, my passport, and my
marriage certificate so I could get it in my married name, and that was good enough.
You'll have to take a written test, and also do a driving test.

Hope that helps Susan

> One other thing.... when can I apply for a state driver's license? I assume it
    > varies by state (I'd be in Washington St.) but if I have to wait until I have a
    > green card what do I do in the meantime while waiting for my I-485 adjustment? Use
    > my Canadian license or just not drive?
    >
    > "Rete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > You need a compliance letter from the manufacturer of the vehicle stating the car
    > > meets the DOT specs for the US. You will need to have your auto insured before
    > > you can register it in the state you are moving to. That might be a problem if
    > > you are in a state that will not give you a license until you have a green card
    > > and the insurance insists on a US driver's license before issuing insurance. Then
    > > again, some insurance companies will insured your car if you have a Canadian
    > > license. GEICO was willing to insure my Canadian husband's car without him having
    > > a NY state DL.
    > >
    > > As for credit someone reported that Bank of America (at least one branch) was
    > > willing to take a Canadian credit report for a US reference on a US card. Our
    > > personal experience was that was not the case for my husband who was 57 at the
    > > time with excellent credit in Canada and he was a home owner, etc. Had to start
    > > fresh. I added him to one of my cards and with my excellent record he had a good
    > > credit standing inside of a few months.
    > >
    > > As for your unpaid tickets, they will not affect you down here but if you ever
    > > return to Canada, will they deny you a driver's license and/or registration if
    > > you tried to reinstate your Canadian DL and registration?
    > >
    > > Rita
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 3rd 2002, 12:10 am
Eoin

I USED to pay in NZ US$350 a YEAR being under 25 and male, and it wasn't a Toyota
Tercel/Starlet Geo Metro either.

And I thought paying US$1000 a year here was over the top ... (over 25 married etc)

Rete wrote:

> DJ
    >
    > As for price differences between Canada and the US, there are variables in play
    > here that you have not touched upon. Demographics play as large a part in
    > insurance costs as driving records, make of vehicle, equipment in vehicle, safety
    > record of vehicle, etc. For our two cars (2000 and 2001) with driver, passenger
    > and side airbags, ABS, etc. we pay $2,400 a year. Neither of us have had an
    > accident in 10 years, or a traffic ticket. It is based on location, suburban New
    > York, type of vehicle, etc. Move us to rural Virginia and our annual premium would
    > be around $1,200.
    >
    > Rita

Old May 3rd 2002, 7:40 am
Nipidoc

Rete <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > DJ
    >
    > You have been one very very fortunate Canadian individual. I applaud your success
    > in obtaining a credit card in the US based on your Canadian credit rating. However,
    > although your experience is invaluable and a booster shot in the arm for other
    > Canadians migrating to the US, I have to say that you and only one Canadian have
    > experienced this generosity in the US credit industry.

I had absoultely no problems getting credit from HSBC bank in New York City. HSBC,
(formerly Marine Midland) is based in Buffalo, and very routinely does Canadian
credit checks. I had no problems whatsoever. In fact, I was a full time student at
the time, and they didn't even blink an eye. The only minor problem that I have EVER
had in the United States relating to credit, was the fact that my SSN is only 6 years
old. For a 27 year old person, I've had a couple of people ask why that is when they
pull credit reports. I just explain that I immigrated from Canada, and I have never
been turned down for anything.

> At the age of 57, being a home owner, never defaulting a credit card, with a
    > savings account, etc. my Canuck was not able to get any credit card company or our
    > bank, The Bank of New York, to access his Canadian credit record. He has a Bank of
    > Nova Scotia visa card and he even tried their New York based bank and they refused.
    >
    > So again I reiterate, your experience and that of one other Canadian is unique.
    >
    > As for auto insurance, this is a matter of company and state. I personally would
    > not touch State Farm for auto, life or health insurance. Nor would I touch Alstate.

I had abosultely no problem having State Farm transfer my insurance record down here.
The only claim I have ever had on it was that when I was living in New York City,
someone stole the airbags out of the car. The car still had the insurance on it from
Canada, since I did not register it in New York. State Farm paid the claim, and when
I moved to Las Vegas, State Farm out here didn't even blink an eye to transfer the
record. I also had absolutely no problem registering the car at the DMV. I did NOT
have any documentation from/for customs regarding the car. (The reason for this was
that the car was already down here, so I never bothered taking it back to Canada and
then importing it. If the car is currently in Canada, get the documentation.)

nipidoc

Old May 3rd 2002, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Perdue is an unknown quantity at this point

I applied for a credit card through TD Waterhouse Bank prior to moving to the US. They issued a credit card to me, no questions asked, based on my Canadian credit history and employment. I haven't tried applying for anything else since moving here, so I don't know what my chances would be, but just for kicks I recently checked my US credit history...other than the credit card, I'm basically a non-person. No employment history, no marital status...and I had to fax proof to the credit reporting agency that I existed before they would issue the report.

As for my car, I had to provide the documentation proving that it had been legally imported and met DOT and EPA standards when I first registered it in Virginia, and again when I registered it in Arizona.
Old May 6th 2002, 12:40 am
Catz

Hey Rete... and everyone else reading this thread...

I've been married to my US spouse for 2 years and for the past year I have been
applying for credit cards with no success. I, too, had an excellent credit rating in
Canada and was really not happy to have "lost" it when coming to the U.S. Coming from
a banking career when I lived in Canada, I really wanted to establish my own credit
and not have to go through my spouse's history if at all possible.

I spoke with my bank (First Union) and asked what I could do to obtain a credit card
and they suggested trying department stores. I tried. And tried. And got rejected by
them all due to lack of credit history. I finally wrote a letter to First Union's
credit card department and asked them what the heck I was supposed to do to obtain
credit here because it felt like I was in a never ending loop. The next avenue I was
going to attempt was to take a small personal loan with my savings account to secure
it... but I was pleasantly surprised when I recieved a call from the card company.
They said they absolutely COULD obtain my Canadian credit report if I gave them my
Canadian S.I.N. # and my last mailing addresss in Canada. Within two weeks I was the
VERY proud owner of a visa card with a limit 10 times what I had requested... with
no fees and low interest. It CAN be done (I can only speak for Canadians on this
one) if you find the right bank. I am really sorry that Jim had to start from square
one. I do know how frustrating it is when a cat,dog or otter can obtain credit but a
person can't.

Catz