Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A question about car related things

A question about car related things

Old Nov 15th 2003, 2:38 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question about car related things

Originally posted by smiler125
If someone lends me a car and insures it under their insurance for any driver, would it cost more as I don't have a U.K licence.
If you don't have a UK license then you cannot drive over here - you must get a learners permit and go through the whole thing, take a test etc, etc

If someone lends me a car and insures it under their insurance for any driver, would it cost more as I don't have a U.K licence.
If this is a typo and you meant US license but you have a UK license most US insurance covers any driver as long as they have the owners permision to drive it. I checked because we have so many visitors whether others could drive it and is fine, as long as they aren't using it permanently.

Would he even have to tell his insurance that I don't have a U.S licence, as it's a any driver policy and I would be able to drive legally for 30 days?

Thanks
You can drive legally on a UK license for a year, its the state laws that dictate how long you have to get either a state license or a state ID card. For most states you have 30 days from when you become a resident to do this (not every state - check on the DMV website for your state)

Patrick
Old Nov 15th 2003, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

smiler125 is an unknown quantity at this point

Smiler: I asked our insurance brokers about having relatives using our car when they visit us in the States. They said that anyone is allowed to use our car with our permission, but I guess it's only meant for short-term only and anything more than a month might be pushing it a bit! The last thing you want is to get in an accident and the insurance company then says it's considered null and void... :scared: [/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply.
I was just concerned that an American any driver policy would not cover me on a U.K licence.
I will take my test in Texas within the 30 day limit.

I also wrongly said in my previous post that I didn't have a U.K licence, and meant to say U.S (Sorry Patrick)
Old Nov 15th 2003, 11:22 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question about car related things

Originally posted by Patrick
..... If you hire a car (which you can on your UK license) you can take the test in that!
Which is exactly what I did.
Old Nov 15th 2003, 12:27 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys for all your replies. I am definitely going to go down the hire car route, and arrange to take my test as soon as I can. I don't know what I'd do without this board! How on earth did people ever emigrate without the internet? LOL.
Old Nov 16th 2003, 10:57 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rockgurl .... How on earth did people ever emigrate without the internet? LOL.
An interesting question that I have asked myself a number of times!
Old Nov 16th 2003, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taking Test

Just FYI, by far the best way to take the D/L test is in a hire car, as you have proof of insurance. I know several people who tried to take their test here (in Aus, TX) and failed before they ever got out the driving test centre due to any number of issues with insurance, ownerership, registration etc.
Insurance is not too bad here, although I did get 9 years clean driving record taken into account, $900 for 6 months, 2 cars, a Jag S type 4.0 and Mazda Tribute, about the same as we paid in the UK getting it tied to house insurance gave a big discount (20%) on the cars.

Good luck
Old Nov 16th 2003, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taking Test

Just FYI, by far the best way to take the D/L test is in a hire car, as you have proof of insurance. I know several people who tried to take their test here (in Aus, TX) and failed before they ever got out the driving test centre due to any number of issues with insurance, ownerership, registration etc.
Insurance is not too bad here, although I did get 9 years clean driving record taken into account, $900 for 6 months, 2 cars, a Jag S type 4.0 and Mazda Tribute, about the same as we paid in the UK getting it tied to house insurance gave a big discount (20%) on the cars.

Good luck
Old Nov 17th 2003, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

SamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really nice

okay, so i moved to Houston at the start of October and am yet to sort out my driving licence or get a car. i have applied for my SSN but i'm still waiting for this to come through. do i need the SSN to take the driving test? or is the document that the SS office gave me saying that i have applied sufficient. also, would i be able to get car insurance easily without a SSN?

with regards to hiring cars, i rented one from enterprise for a friday to monday period but when it came to choosing what insurance to get on the car i was a little confused as to what i really needed. i ended up getting everything although i do not think i really needed to do this. what level of insurance do you need to take a driving test? is a copy of the rental form sufficient evidence that i have insurance?

thanks,

SamJ
Old Nov 17th 2003, 6:01 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by SamuearlJackson
okay, so i moved to Houston at the start of October and am yet to sort out my driving licence or get a car. i have applied for my SSN but i'm still waiting for this to come through. do i need the SSN to take the driving test? or is the document that the SS office gave me saying that i have applied sufficient. also, would i be able to get car insurance easily without a SSN?

with regards to hiring cars, i rented one from enterprise for a friday to monday period but when it came to choosing what insurance to get on the car i was a little confused as to what i really needed. i ended up getting everything although i do not think i really needed to do this. what level of insurance do you need to take a driving test? is a copy of the rental form sufficient evidence that i have insurance?

thanks,

SamJ

I did hear on talk radio that when you use your credit card to pay for car rentals, almost all credit card companies include some sort in car insurance coverage. The consumer affairs guest said that most people should check with their credit card company exactly what sort of coverage they have when they hire a car and therefore only take out the 'extra' insurance they think they're going to need as most people are unaware that they already have some insurance cover. For example:

http://home3.americanexpress.com/cor...vice071599.asp
Old Nov 17th 2003, 6:12 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by SamuearlJackson

SamJ
Sam; you will have to contact the Texas DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) about the SSN requirement as each State has its own rules and regulations. You should be able to find them online. I'm not in Texas but I'm an L2 visa holder (trailing spouse - my husband works but I don't). I was still able to get a driving licence however. I had to go to a Social Security office with my passport and they gave me a letter stating that I wasn't eligible to have a SSN. I took this to the driving test centre and was allowed to take my test.

Again, depending on your State you might be able to get insurance coverage without an SSN. The insurance brokers we use are "Personal Lines Insurance Brokers" who do give insurance coverage to newly arrived and established expatriates. They operate in quite a few States including Texas and have an office in Houston. Their website is:

http://www.plib.com

Do address your concerns (whether by e-mail, snail-mail or phone call) to the Manager who deals with expatriates.

Good Luck!
Old Nov 20th 2003, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

SamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really nice

thanks for getting back to me - it appears that you can fill out a form at the test centre saying that you are ineligible for a SSN. so my wife could take the test i think, but as i am eligible and am waiting for the SSN to come through i'm not sure if i can take it.

maybe i will phone them and try and sort this out.

thanks,

SamJ