Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Quality Retail Bank - Does it exist?

Quality Retail Bank - Does it exist?

Old Jul 4th 2006, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

qwerty007 will become famous soon enoughqwerty007 will become famous soon enough
Default Quality Retail Bank - Does it exist?

Does anyone know an efficient, quality bank in California? I know things vary from branch to branch, but I am finding service levels wanting. Washington Mutual didn't know how to do a Swift transfer, overcharged and then blamed exchange rates, failed to repsond to a threat of account closure and then didn't undertstand why I left them. I was very happy to see tech savvy HSBC appear on the scene, but employees were working out to the door in my branch and things were going seriously awry; an application for a line of credit has turned into a mud slinging match, and an application to open a HSBC account in another country (something they proudly advertise), is nothing short of Fred Karno's Army. I have always found that if you can befriend a competent individual within a branch, they will pull out all stops. I'm based in LA and any recommendations for banks, branch's, individuals, much appreciated.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 4:50 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quality Retail Bank - Does it exist?

Originally Posted by qwerty007
Does anyone know an efficient, quality bank in California?
Bwwaaaahahahahahhahahahhhaaahhh!

Sorry, I know one in New Mexico, but that won't help you much.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 5:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know an efficient, quality bank in California? I know things vary from branch to branch, but I am finding service levels wanting. Washington Mutual didn't know how to do a Swift transfer, overcharged and then blamed exchange rates, failed to repsond to a threat of account closure and then didn't undertstand why I left them. I was very happy to see tech savvy HSBC appear on the scene, but employees were working out to the door in my branch and things were going seriously awry; an application for a line of credit has turned into a mud slinging match, and an application to open a HSBC account in another country (something they proudly advertise), is nothing short of Fred Karno's Army. I have always found that if you can befriend a competent individual within a branch, they will pull out all stops. I'm based in LA and any recommendations for banks, branch's, individuals, much appreciated.

Don't get me started on US banks.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

qwerty007 will become famous soon enoughqwerty007 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Don't get me started on US banks.
OK I get the picture ...I'm not the only one
Old Jul 4th 2006, 6:25 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

They don't handle international transfers well.... could be in part from having to send duplicates of each transfer to the White House.

You can try the biggies -- Bank of America, Citibank -- or foreign banks like IBC based in Mexico. Bear in mind that in the US, banks make their fortune on fees, and every international transfer = fee. My Dutch husband thinks we are far behind the banking times here; from his Dutch account he can transfer all over the world with an IBAN number and account number -- for free.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 6:29 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Many banks have a separate arm called something like "Private Client Services" where you get your own private banker who has a magic wand to make things happen quickly and efficiently. You need a fixed amount of money in or going through the bank before they invite you to this other side -- but this can be as low as a couple of 100k or so. Failing that, you have to take your chances with the rest of the proletariat.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 6:36 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Many banks have a separate arm called something like "Private Client Services" where you get your own private banker who has a magic wand to make things happen quickly and efficiently. You need a fixed amount of money in or going through the bank before they invite you to this other side -- but this can be as low as a couple of 100k or so. Failing that, you have to take your chances with the rest of the proletariat.
Yes, BofA have this. Before my ex spent all our money on divorce lawyers, we were in it.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 7:32 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Just a couple of 100k ??? But surely anyone who parks that sum of $$$ with a bank could be classified as certifiably insane? (Unless they already have a few millions stashed away in various 'investment vehicles', of course...)

I have to say we have been extremely happy with our 'designated' BoA person. We struck lucky because she dealt with us the very first time we stepped into that branch, and I make a point of seeing her every now and again, even if it's just for a couple of minutes chit-chat. I have her e-mail and her direct line, so if ever there is a problem, I can get hold of her easily. So far she has always come up trumps!

I would suggest to the OP to go into a few local branches and, in the first instance, just observe how the Customer Service Reps conduct business. Get a feel for the place, and how happy the customers look. And then make a decision on the basis of those observations and a healthy dose of gut feeling. (I am assuming that, for some reason, she is unable to get recommendations from friends and acquaintances - normally that would be my first port of call.)
Old Jul 4th 2006, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

That's interesting. I wonder if that means you just get the service you should anyway, while us prols suffer the deficit from the 'extra' effort Nah! That's unfair! I've despaired over worse service in other domains. The reason why banks offer a lowsy service is because they ......?????? Invitations to finish the sentence. Prize for the best entry is a free overdraft for one year
Old Jul 4th 2006, 10:04 pm
Lapine Member

That's interesting. I wonder if that means you just get the service you should anyway, while us prols suffer the deficit from the 'extra' effort Nah! That's unfair! I've despaired over worse service in other domains. The reason why banks offer a lowsy service is because they ......?????? Invitations to finish the sentence. Prize for the best entry is a free overdraft for one year
Can't finish the sentence, but the inducement is for you to put more money into the bank than $100k, usually, since that's the FDIC insurance limit. It isn't much as I have said, though if you have an Issue, there's someone that'll chase it down for you, and you get invited to cocktail parties and crap. There really wasn't anything that made it a good deal at least not at BofA.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Can't finish the sentence, but the inducement is for you to put more money into the bank than $100k, usually, since that's the FDIC insurance limit. It isn't much as I have said, though if you have an Issue, there's someone that'll chase it down for you, and you get invited to cocktail parties and crap. There really wasn't anything that made it a good deal at least not at BofA.
Thanks snowbunny. I've already zapped HSBC with a request.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 5:24 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Usually the way the system is set up guarantees you crap service. The cheerful face that greets you in the bank is told that nirvana only awaits them if they sell you so many products this week. Rarely are there incentive schemes whereby there is any point in sorting out a mess. Hence, the poor rep does what they need to for survival: sell you products you neither need nor want while avoiding any customer who requires work that won't count on their score sheet.

On the private client sheet, customer retention rate is often a large part of the bonus, and hence they will go the extra mile. Also on this side, the private banker usually has direct access to people in other departments to make things happen that your average joe rep could only dream about.

IMO, most US companies work on the simple premise that with a customer base of 300m or so, it doesn't matter that you piss a lot of people off.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 5:32 pm
Lapine Member

IMO, most US companies work on the simple premise that with a customer base of 300m or so, it doesn't matter that you piss a lot of people off.
Sadly true. And not just the companies: people have very short memories when it comes to companies that have fecked up: Jack and the Box and Exxon ought to be ought of business, but they aren't.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 5:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

They were about as much use as a chocolate walking stick when I had my problem with an International Wire Transfer.
Old Jul 9th 2006, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

No you are not, sad really.