Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Qualifications?

View Poll Results: What is your level of formal education?
None! Didn't get me where I is through no book learnin'!
3.90%
O'Levels / GCSEs / CSEs etc.
9.09%
A'Levels etc.
10.39%
Vocational Qualifications (NVQ / City & Guilds etc.)
11.69%
Bachelor's Degree
35.06%
Master's Degree
11.69%
Professional Degree (MBA / MD / JD etc.)
7.79%
Doctorate
10.39%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Qualifications?

Old Jun 12th 2004, 1:31 am
Moderated

matt_in_philly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by effi
Do you want to tell the following people that they are dumasses?

Obsession with academic exam results at the root of failed education policy

Academic exam results are one of the poorest indicators of potential. Many of the world's most successful people left school with few, and sometimes no, qualifications. These include Albert Einstein (scientist), Soichira Honda (founder of Honda Motor Corporation), Ray Kroc (founder of MacDonalds), Pete Waterman (multi-millionaire record producer), Richard Branson (multimillionaire entrepreneur and inspiration), Philip Green (self-made millionaire businessman and CEO of BHS [British Home Stores]) etc. It could even be said that a surfeit of academic qualifications might condemn one to a life of mediocrity.

As Mark Twain said, "I never let my schooling interfere with my education".
Ok Madam, I’ll play.
First of all, let me tell you that I did not call anybody "dumb-ass". Second of all...

When you copy a text from a website and later paste it on another forum, you should check the bullets, paragraph and the format first. Otherwise it may get distorted or bullets wouldn't appear or paragraphs would look so bad etc that somebody would realize that the post was ripped.

When I read this post of yours I very much doubted they would be your own words as I was so sure that you were not kind of a person who would actually read anything serious. Paragraphs etc helped as well. So, I wanted to find out where you ripped it.

And the winner is...
http://www.bullyonline.org/schoolbully/truancy.htm Go to the page and scroll down to see where you ripped your message from.

Your post (except the "dumass" sentence) is ripped from http://www.bullyonline.org/schoolbully/truancy.htm
I guess you couldn't find anything other than that site to rip from. Very sad. Even when you read the original text it doesn't make any sense at all.

For example, technically Einstein didn't have a degree or anything but he didn't pull all the formulas out of his butt, either. He was educated by the best scientists of his time and later he taught in the universities, too. You cannot think of education and Einstein separately. They are like peas and carrots. Basically when you're laying bricks on the side of the road and whistling at a girl in a mini-skirt, you don't suddenly say " Eureka!!! E = MC² " and unofficially start a new age in the history.

By the way ...

1. Yes, Richard Branson is a "dumb-ass� indeed, at least in my book. He's a typical white-collar criminal. Sooner or later he will be persecuted for his dodgy dealings during the privatization of the Virgin Group. Well, at least people will call him a thief on the street one day. Too bad your example happens to be a thief whose business practices were widely discussed in my classroom as a part of the MBA program. And they say school doesn’t teach you anything. Blah.

2. Ray Kroc was not the founder of McDonalds. He was just a sleazy salesman who lucked out after buying the McDonald’s restaurants that were already there. I'm sorry to break it to you but when you go to school they teach you a lot about the famous corporations of the world etc.

3. Never heard of Philip Green and the Japanese fellow. But I know that Honda first came out in 1940s. So, in 2004 why would anybody name him as an example of undereducated but successful people? It was ages ago. Different times blah blah blah … What about Edison? He’s a better example. The attention deficit order etc.

4. Waterman is a musician who was in the right place at the right time. Tupac had a share in Death Row. So technically he was a "multi-millionaire record producer", too. However, he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. But, that's a different story. Come on! Who are you going to name next, Biggie Small?

Do you want to tell the following people that they are dumasses?
This is the only sentence in the entire post that is actually yours. Congratulations.
Attached Thumbnails Qualifications?-screenshot-1.jpg  
Old Jun 12th 2004, 1:43 am
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice
Default Re: Qualifications?

Originally posted by hhmaker
However, I can earn more in a year than you can in a lifetime.
are you 12? because you sound like it

"my Dad is bigger than yours"

idiot

Old Jun 12th 2004, 2:00 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by hhmaker
However, I can earn more in a year than you can in a lifetime.
Originally posted by Chopper-Chris
are you 12? because you sound like it

"my Dad is bigger than yours"

idiot

Couldn't agree more Chris. It's pitiful that such a petty little man can reach such a position within a company, isn't it?

hhmaker, if you're going to get into a pissing match over salary and job title, it's best to be sure that you're actually better paid and more senior than the people you're pissing on.

By the way, does your bank know you run around waving your CIO position and salary in people's faces like that, just in order to "win" a discussion of further education?

Last edited by dbj1000; Jun 12th 2004 at 2:03 am.
Old Jun 12th 2004, 2:05 am
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Originally posted by dbj1000
Couldn't agree more Chris. It's pitiful that such a petty little man can reach such a position within a company, isn't it?

hhmaker, if you're going to get into a pissing match over salary and job title, it's best to be sure that you're actually better paid and more senior than the people you're pissing on.
It amazed me, of all the people I know in senior positions within fortune 500 companies (and in my line of work, believe me, I meet a few) I couldn't possibly ever imagine that any of them would ever make a comment like this.

It makes me wonder whether hhmaker really is really employed in the job and at the salary that he claims.
Old Jun 12th 2004, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by matt_in_philly
Ok Madam, I’ll play.
First of all, let me tell you that I did not call anybody "dumb-ass". Second of all...

When you copy a text from a website and later paste it on another forum, you should check the bullets, paragraph and the format first. Otherwise it may get distorted or bullets wouldn't appear or paragraphs would look so bad etc that somebody would realize that the post was ripped.

When I read this post of yours I very much doubted they would be your own words as I was so sure that you were not kind of a person who would actually read anything serious. Paragraphs etc helped as well. So, I wanted to find out where you ripped it.

And the winner is...
http://www.bullyonline.org/schoolbully/truancy.htm Go to the page and scroll down to see where you ripped your message from.

Your post (except the "dumass" sentence) is ripped from http://www.bullyonline.org/schoolbully/truancy.htm
I guess you couldn't find anything other than that site to rip from. Very sad. Even when you read the original text it doesn't make any sense at all.

For example, technically Einstein didn't have a degree or anything but he didn't pull all the formulas out of his butt, either. He was educated by the best scientists of his time and later he taught in the universities, too. You cannot think of education and Einstein separately. They are like peas and carrots. Basically when you're laying bricks on the side of the road and whistling at a girl in a mini-skirt, you don't suddenly say " Eureka!!! E = MC² " and unofficially start a new age in the history.

By the way ...

1. Yes, Richard Branson is a "dumb-ass� indeed, at least in my book. He's a typical white-collar criminal. Sooner or later he will be persecuted for his dodgy dealings during the privatization of the Virgin Group. Well, at least people will call him a thief on the street one day. Too bad your example happens to be a thief whose business practices were widely discussed in my classroom as a part of the MBA program. And they say school doesn’t teach you anything. Blah.

2. Ray Kroc was not the founder of McDonalds. He was just a sleazy salesman who lucked out after buying the McDonald’s restaurants that were already there. I'm sorry to break it to you but when you go to school they teach you a lot about the famous corporations of the world etc.

3. Never heard of Philip Green and the Japanese fellow. But I know that Honda first came out in 1940s. So, in 2004 why would anybody name him as an example of undereducated but successful people? It was ages ago. Different times blah blah blah … What about Edison? He’s a better example. The attention deficit order etc.

4. Waterman is a musician who was in the right place at the right time. Tupac had a share in Death Row. So technically he was a "multi-millionaire record producer", too. However, he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. But, that's a different story. Come on! Who are you going to name next, Biggie Small?

This is the only sentence in the entire post that is actually yours. Congratulations.
OMG, you are sooooo smart, you caught me out you little devil. Did I say the words were mine? What is it like having an ego as big as yours?
Old Jun 12th 2004, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Effi, I'm genuinely sorry. Re-reading the thread, my "joke" came across as pretty aggressive, and that's not how I meant it at all.

I don't see that there's any argument to have here. You and your husband have done extremely well without having degrees. You're also 20 years older than me, and your experiences have been very different to mine.

There is no way I could have achived what I have now without my degrees. You can call them "elusive bits of paper" all you like, but it simply isn't possible to do what I am doing without a degree at the very least. That's not the case for all jobs, but neither is it true that you can do any job with sufficient hard work and experience. I'm not trying to belittle anyone who has achieved a great career with little formal education - my hat is off to anyone who can do so - I'm just saying that degrees are a necessity for many jobs now.
Apologie accepted. I do agree with you about needing degrees nowadays, if you intend to make any kind of living in the US and do not have one then you are more or less up shit creek. Like I also said though, timing and sometimes being in the right place at the right time also can have it's advantages as we have proven.

I left school in 1967 and there was no advice on where to go to find out how to get further education. We were just turned loose. I came from a very small place in Scotland, only about 300 or so people in the village, so it was either go and work in the local factory or sweet shop. Not much of a choice. You make the best of what you have though, which we did.

I have enjoyed sparring with you. I am not the brain of Britain as you have probably surmised, but I am not altogether a dumbass either. I hope to meet you again.
Old Jun 12th 2004, 6:14 pm
Moderated

I wrote a different message but you know what, forget it. It turns out you're just an ignorant person. I thought that we could discuss things in a civilized manner but obviously that's too much for you.

Last edited by matt_in_philly; Jun 12th 2004 at 6:18 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

I wrote a different message but you know what, forget it. It turns out you're just an ignorant person. I thought that we could discuss things in a civilized manner but obviously that's too much for you.
I am not an ignorant person. You are the one with the problem, why are you so aggressive? Am I supposed to agree with everything you say? You are the one who started the slagging match. For someone who professes to be so intelligent you have a very unfortunate attitude. I would suggest you get a sense of humour injection, preferably in your arrogant ass.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 1:24 pm
Moderated

As a matter of fact, I don't think that I'm intelligent at all. If I was, I don't think I would have replied to the posts that praise anti-education statements. They are not even worth reading anyway. I don't know what I was thinking when I tried to explain the science to you. Sorry, lost cause when I did that. I re-read all posts just a minute ago and this time even I couldn't believe that I replied to them. They are all so ignorant and are just the words of somebody who bashes things that she could never have. I don't like Ferraris, either. They are just useless.

Reading messages like yours and some other’s on the British Expat forum is quite shocking. They sound more like a Taliban Government Press Release regarding their education policy.

Good luck with your life.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

As a matter of fact, I don't think that I'm intelligent at all. If I was, I don't think I would have replied to the posts that praise anti-education statements. They are not even worth reading anyway. I don't know what I was thinking when I tried to explain the science to you. Sorry, lost cause when I did that. I re-read all posts just a minute ago and this time even I couldn't believe that I replied to them. They are all so ignorant and are just the words of somebody who bashes things that she could never have. I don't like Ferraris, either. They are just useless.

Reading messages like yours and some other’s on the British Expat forum is quite shocking. They sound more like a Taliban Government Press Release regarding their education policy.

Good luck with your life.
Yaaaaaaawn, my life is great thanks, not so sure about yours though.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 6:15 pm
dealing with it

They are all so ignorant and are just the words of somebody who bashes things that she could never have. I don't like Ferraris, either. They are just useless.

come on, don't pick on Ferrari's, they are not useless, just overpriced
Old Jun 15th 2004, 12:32 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

...and only people with degrees should be allowed to drive them!

Old Jun 15th 2004, 12:42 am
Moderated

Whatever you say, Milord. (nice avatar)
Old Jun 15th 2004, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

...and only people with degrees should be allowed to drive them!

I agree. On the point of being useless though, I have to agree with that also. You can only go as fast as the speed limit allows. Mind you if you can afford a Ferrari, you can afford the speeding ticket. Never could see the point of buying a car that does a gazillion miles per hour, especially over here, now if you lived in Germany..................
Old Jun 16th 2004, 12:26 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. On the point of being useless though, I have to agree with that also. You can only go as fast as the speed limit allows. Mind you if you can afford a Ferrari, you can afford the speeding ticket. Never could see the point of buying a car that does a gazillion miles per hour, especially over here, now if you lived in Germany..................
By that logic we all should be limited to driving a Geo Metro with a govenor limiting it to 65mph.

It's not how fast you DO go- but how fast you COULD go that's important.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.