Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

putting the sterling symbol on a US keyboard as a short cut?

Wikiposts

putting the sterling symbol on a US keyboard as a short cut?

Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: putting the sterling symbol on a US keyboard as a short cut?

Originally Posted by sykes
how does that work with a laptop with no num pad? Can't see to get the num lock to function as it would with a full keyboard.
On a laptop, the numerical keypad is usually accessed via the Fn key. So you'd need to hold down Alt+Fn and type in the number code.

Last edited by helwardman; Jan 11th 2010 at 2:39 am. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

Originally Posted by helwardman
On a laptop, the numerical keypad is usually accessed via the Fn key. So you'd need to hold down Alt+Fn and type in the number code.
On my dell the number pad is also located at jkl, uio, 789. So i press the blue FN key and hold it, then press alt and hold it and then J, I, O and it puts a £ symbol in.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I've not tried, but this program called KeyTweak looks interesting:

http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/

Seems you can remap any key you like. Might be worth a try? If using Vista or 7, make sure you run the program "As administrator".
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:02 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goatherder
On my dell the number pad is also located at jkl, uio, 789. So i press the blue FN key and hold it, then press alt and hold it and then J, I, O and it puts a £ symbol in.
No short cuts then lol.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

sykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by helwardman
£ score... thanks.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
No short cuts then lol.
You could install the UK keyboard language thing and then switch your region to UK. That would enable Shift 3 to become the £ symbol (i think its on 3 in the UK keyboard - don't have one handy to check).

However that would enable your US keyboard to react like a UK one (but the printed letters would be in the wrong place on the keyboard ).

Goat..
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

I use the US-International keyboard on my laptop. All I have to do is is hold down right alt+shift+4 on the number bar on the top £. Takes a second to do. I use it to punch in the accent marks in Spanish since I need a fast easy way to put them on so I would use that. It uses all the same keys on the US keyboard so the layout is not any different it just has a few dead keys as well like I press the apostraphe button and I can get either ' or é or if I want double quotes I can do " or ü even ñ with the tilde at the top left corner. It's switchable in the control panel
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:43 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Yep me too ... you gotta mac haven't you??? They make life so simple
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

http://usefulshortcuts.com/downloads/ALT-Codes.pdf

▲↑ This is a handy A4 sized chart of all the ALT Codes ↑▲

I printed this off ages ago when I first had to find out how to type a £ symbol on a USA keyboard. It often comes in quite useful.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

how does that work with a laptop with no num pad? Can't see to get the num lock to function as it would with a full keyboard.
Hold down both the ALT and FN keys...then type 0163 using the keys with the numbers on in blue (on my laptop it would be M-J-O-L).
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

You hold down shift, and then type the letters g, b and p, in that order.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:34 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

hold down the alt and FN keys and type 156 using the keys the numbers are on the front edges off. That works on a Toshiba so I'm guessing it is a consistent thing.