Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renewing British Passport as US Citizen

Renewing British Passport as US Citizen

Old Jan 5th 2010, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

kdoc67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renewing British Passport as US Citizen

I was born in the UK but I became a Naturalized US citizen in 2005.

My British passport is expiring and I want to renew it but on the C1 application form it says "If you possess the nationality or citizenship of another country, you may loose this when you acquire a British passport".

Does anyone know if there is really a risk to my US citizenship if I renew my British passport?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 7:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing British Passport as US Citizen

no risk, you have dual nationality and won't lose it.

Might want to have a read of the passport thread in the US section though as it has quite a bit of info on the process at the moment and how long it's taking.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

kdoc67 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
no risk, you have dual nationality and won't lose it.

Might want to have a read of the passport thread in the US section though as it has quite a bit of info on the process at the moment and how long it's taking.
Bob,

thanks for the feedback :-)

I will go read the passport thread as you suggest, I didn't see that one when I was trying to figure out where to post my question :-)
Old Jan 5th 2010, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

wordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to behold

Unless the British embassy has started giving lists of passport applicants to the US government you should be OK.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 2:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wordfool
Unless the British embassy has started giving lists of passport applicants to the US government you should be OK.
Still wouldn't make any difference.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I think its that old chestnut of one country not giving a toss for another "laws", if you like.

For instance, when you take your Oath here, you "Renounce All other Citizenships". Does the UK take this renunciation seriously? No. This situation is just a reversal....that's what it says on the (British) form, but it bears no weight with the US Govt.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Actually in the US naturalization oath, you renounce all other allegiances, not citizenships.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by henryh
Actually in the US naturalization oath, you renounce all other allegiances, not citizenships.
Pedant

AAActually, this is the wording:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen "

Sounds pretty much like foregoing all other citizenships to me....
Old Jan 8th 2010, 2:43 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Pedant

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen "

A REAL pedant would say that what the oath means is that you can start acting as a fifth columnist in the country of the citizenship to which you are renouncing allegiance, and still have a clean conscience.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 3:30 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Pedant

I'd agree, that sounds like your surrendering all allegience to the Queen which is the oath somebody needs to take now when becoming a British Citizen.

I know for a fact that the British pay no heed to this though. Unfortunately however some countries like Japan and Germany still require you to completely surrender all citizenship to your home nation before you can adopt their citizenship and the UK/US governments do have to pay heed to this.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I'd agree, that sounds like your surrendering all allegience to the Queen which is the oath somebody needs to take now when becoming a British Citizen.

I know for a fact that the British pay no heed to this though. Unfortunately however some countries like Japan and Germany still require you to completely surrender all citizenship to your home nation before you can adopt their citizenship and the UK/US governments do have to pay heed to this.
That's right - I have a German friend who will not apply for citizenship due to this. I don't doubt that it would probably stop many Brits too, if it were the case.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 5:30 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

My girlfriend is the same, she's Japanese born and will no doubt never take citizenship of any other country because of this, even though it is highly unlikely that she will ever move back to Japan full time. She just sees it as burning a bridge that she can't really bring herself to let go of, although admittedly as you say it would take a lot for me to give up my UK passport, EU citizenship is a bit too much to let go of really.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 10:34 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds pretty much like foregoing all other citizenships to me...
HTG, it doesn't matter. Why, you ask? Because any oath taken in the US is *NOT* binding on any other country. In other words, the UK decides who is and is not a citizen of the UK... so it doesn't matter what oaths you've taken in the US.

Ian
Old Jan 8th 2010, 11:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
your wrong about Germany.....you just have to apply for permission in advance which will be granted unless you are getting citizenship from a dodgy country.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
your wrong about Germany.....you just have to apply for permission in advance which will be granted unless you are getting citizenship from a dodgy country.
Does the German list of "dodgy countries" include the US?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.