Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

purely cost/time of application - US Cit, or renew Green card

purely cost/time of application - US Cit, or renew Green card

Old Feb 11th 2014, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

mmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to all
Default purely cost/time of application - US Cit, or renew Green card

Guys,

Just looking for some advice. I've read the usual pros/cons on getting US Cit., I've been here 16-17yrs now, and personally I don't see any big reasons to get US Cit.

That said, my Green Card expires in April for the first time (10yr), so I need to renew. I did a quick google on fees, as I know those things are always changing, and right now - if i have this right its $450 for the green card (which seems steep) and $680 for Citizenship.

While i don't have any compelling reasons to get Cit., the marginal cost difference might make it worth while to ward off future cost of green card renewal (I'm 37yrs old, and intend to be around for a bit longer). Are there other costs to either process or is that it?

One other big factor - i intend to travel to the UK in August this year - so I believe I need to be completed with whichever process I choose before then. So, any info on the time frames for either? I assume its quicker to get a green card, but can i get citizenship be done in that time frame? Any 'easy out' if i start down the citizenship path, but don't get it done in time and need to travel outside the US with only an expired green card?

Anyhow, would appreciate any advice/insight - purely a business decision, what's most cost effective and can I get it done in time.

thanks,
Matt
Old Feb 11th 2014, 4:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: purely cost/time of application - US Cit, or renew Green card

I think the most important question is are you planning to stay in the US for the rest of your life, if so, citizenship is the way to go. If you plan to leave one day, and never return to live, then you can cut all the strings to the US quite easily by relinquishing your green card.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

mmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to all

that's a tough one to answer - right now, I have no plans to move back to the UK.....
Old Feb 11th 2014, 4:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mmhendrie
One other big factor - i intend to travel to the UK in August this year - so I believe I need to be completed with whichever process I choose before then. So, any info on the time frames for either? I assume its quicker to get a green card, but can i get citizenship be done in that time frame?
You MIGHT get your naturalization done by August of this year, if you file the N-400 ASAP. Keep in mind that if it is NOT, and you have an expired green card in hand, you probably can't travel.

Any 'easy out' if i start down the citizenship path, but don't get it done in time and need to travel outside the US with only an expired green card?
None that I know of, no. You probably can't board the plane with an expired green card.

Anyhow, would appreciate any advice/insight - purely a business decision, what's most cost effective and can I get it done in time.
More cost effective to become a USC, in my opinion. However, might not get done in time. I don't think anything can be guaranteed.

Rene
Old Feb 11th 2014, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Who knows what the price will be in 10 years time when you need to renew again. And when I say price I include into that "the rules". At the time I was considering citizenship, my state of Arizona was deep into passing SB1070 and I did wonder "what if my state tried to do something really stupid", "what if they made it difficult for PRs in general"? As it is, just recently we see that form N400 has ballooned to over 20 pages.

My take is, if you are eligible for citizenship get it before it becomes harder.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

You don't really have a choice with regards to renewing the GC. Even if you apply for US citizenship now, you must renew your GC since it will expire within the next 6 months.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/f...e/chapter3.pdf

24. If my Permanent Resident Card expires while I am applying for naturalization, do I still need to apply for a new card?
If you apply for naturalization 6 months or more before the expiration date on your Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as an Alien Registration Card or “Green Card”), you do not have to apply for a new card. However, you may apply for a renewal card if you wish by using an “Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card” (Form I-90) and paying the appropriate fee. Call the USCIS Forms Line or visit www.uscis.gov.
If you apply for naturalization less than 6 months before the expiration date on your Permanent Resident Card, or do not apply for naturalization until your card has already expired, you must renew your card
Old Feb 11th 2014, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
My take is, if you are eligible for citizenship get it before it becomes harder.
+1

Also, what many PRs don't realize is that they can be deported from the US or deemed inadmissable when they try to enter:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...ons-29715.html

"Everyone who applies to enter or stay in the United States, no matter how long the person plans to be here or whether the person already has a green card, is checked to see whether he or she is inadmissible."
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

osgood will become famous soon enoughosgood will become famous soon enough

You can renew your g.card online.they take your money $450 and then give you a date for biometrics appt, at your nearest immigration center...they then put an extension sticker on your expiring green card for another few months,then you wait months for your new card.....
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by osgood
You can renew your g.card online.they take your money $450 and then give you a date for biometrics appt, at your nearest immigration center...they then put an extension sticker on your expiring green card for another few months,then you wait months for your new card.....
I've never done this process. I'm just curious, if you renew online, how do you get the extension sticker on your expiring card? Do they do it at the biometrics appointment, or do they send you something in the mail for you to affix yourself?

Rene
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

osgood will become famous soon enoughosgood will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I've never done this process. I'm just curious, if you renew online, how do you get the extension sticker on your expiring card? Do they do it at the biometrics appointment, or do they send you something in the mail for you to affix yourself?

Rene
at the biometrics appointment,
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

When I naturalized about three years ago, my GC was due to expire in, I think February, so I applied in August and was sworn in at the beginning of November!

I still kept my British nationality so I can move freely both ways for the rest of my life if I want. There really is no telling what tomorrow will bring.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
I have never received a sticker for my GC. I have renewed twice after conditional GC . I went to biometrics appt, then a new card arrived in the mail. If I remember though, the first renewal a stamp was placed in my passport. The second time I was sent on my way and card arrived about two weeks later.

Last edited by DebzinUS; Feb 11th 2014 at 5:29 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:21 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Matt -

I was in exactly the same situation as you. My GC was due to expire, admittedly, it had 8 months to go, so a little more time than you have.

I weighed the pros and cons and decided to go for citizenship and am happy that I made that decision. I was able to break it down thus -

PROS
  • Never have to deal with USCIS again
  • Be able to vote
  • Be on a jury (some may say this is a con )
  • Be able to leave the country at any time and not worry about coming back in
  • No longer having a risk of deportation (I know this is extreme, but it could happen)
  • The cost wasn't much more than renewing the GC
  • You can petition for your parents or children to come to the US

CONS
  • Having to file a tax return every year, even if outside the US

I used TRACKITT to give me an estimate of how long the process might take. Mine was 116 days from beginning to end.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
You don't really have a choice with regards to renewing the GC. Even if you apply for US citizenship now, you must renew your GC since it will expire within the next 6 months.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/f...e/chapter3.pdf

24. If my Permanent Resident Card expires while I am applying for naturalization, do I still need to apply for a new card?
If you apply for naturalization 6 months or more before the expiration date on your Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as an Alien Registration Card or “Green Card”), you do not have to apply for a new card. However, you may apply for a renewal card if you wish by using an “Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card” (Form I-90) and paying the appropriate fee. Call the USCIS Forms Line or visit www.uscis.gov.
If you apply for naturalization less than 6 months before the expiration date on your Permanent Resident Card, or do not apply for naturalization until your card has already expired, you must renew your card
thanks MarylandNed - looks like i don't really have a decision to make. As I'm in the 6 month window, it looks like I'm required to renew my GC, so that's what I'll do. Appreciate the info and everyone chiming in.
thanks,
Matt
Old Feb 11th 2014, 10:14 pm
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

Mid last year I had the same choice, my GC was due in June this year so in July I filed the N400. Took 5 months and all done, Oath done end of December. To me, was a no brainer. First time through Immigration last week and no fingerprints needed :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.