Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Proving loss of coverage from NHS

Proving loss of coverage from NHS

Old Aug 9th 2018, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

adamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proving loss of coverage from NHS

I was in a similar situation two months ago, when I was still living in the UK and applying to enroll into my company's insurance plan.
I ticked the "Loss of coverage" box and provided the insurance broker with a letter from my GP practice stating that I was covered under the NHS, and that coverage terminates upon leaving permanently the UK to establish residence elsewhere. I had also provided a copy of my EHIC. The insurance carrier eventually accepted it and I was enrolled the first of the month after I immigrated.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 9:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You just arrived in the US. The reason you are going under your husband's healthcare policy is "marriage". There is no other reason and certainly not loss of coverage since NHS coverage never has been available in the US so does not count as a valid policy in the US.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 9:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I disagree. It is the act of getting married that allows one to have a "special enrollment period" to sign up at that point rather than having to wait for the next open enrollment. That's the case whether this is an individual policy or an employer-provided one. My employer, for example, gives you 60 days after marriage/becoming domestic partner to sign up outside of open enrollment.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/heal...llment-period/

Imo, it is the loss of NHS coverage that entitles the OP to have the right to sign up outside of whatever the open enrollment period is for their spouse's plan.
I disagree. I left my company healthcare and went under my husband's. The reason "marriage" although we had been married for over a year. Never was questioned. And yes, I signed up outside of the open enrollment period. And it was Blue Cross/Blue Shield.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 10:14 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
You just arrived in the US. The reason you are going under your husband's healthcare policy is "marriage". There is no other reason and certainly not loss of coverage since NHS coverage never has been available in the US so does not count as a valid policy in the US.
Rete, although it may not be relevant in this instance, it has been documented on the forum before that the NHS is a valid provider and that people can show that they have had no gap in coverage when arriving in the US by citing the NHS.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 10:24 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RainyDays
But the paperwork says I have to apply within 60 days of the qualifying event. Doesn't that mean the date we married? (I agree - the wording is unclear.)

Also, that still doesn't cover my children.

I'm waiting to hear back from the broker. My own research suggests that proof that we moved internationally should be enough to prove that we qualify, even though there is no tick box for it.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.
I missed this reply earlier. I am not an expert, but I believe, despite the rules and unclear questions you are seeing, the law is that a spouse (and children) can, and must, be covered by an eligible policy.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I disagree. I left my company healthcare and went under my husband's. The reason "marriage" although we had been married for over a year. Never was questioned. And yes, I signed up outside of the open enrollment period. And it was Blue Cross/Blue Shield.
A lot more detail here on special enrollment periods. This link covers ACA, employer group and Medicare:

"There are time limits to your special enrollment period: 60 days after the triggering event normally with the Marketplace, and 30 days typically for workplace plans."

https://www.insure.com/health-insura...nt-period.html

And this link says there were recent changes to require documentation to be produced:

"As of June 17 [2016], consumers were required to provide documentation to enroll through any of these SEPs."

https://familiesusa.org/blog/2016/07...iages-and-more

Last edited by Giantaxe; Aug 9th 2018 at 10:40 pm.