Reload this Page >

Proposed move to Albany

Proposed move to Albany

Old Jun 14th 2006, 9:33 am
Just Joined

Mini-mum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Proposed move to Albany

Hi All

My husband has been offered a 3 year contract in Albany, New York State. We have been over for a brief visit to look around the area and also visited some schools. We appreciate that ‘just visiting’ can feel a bit like a holiday and it’s difficult not to look at it all with rose tinted glasses. As you can imagine we came back with lots of information, but also lots of questions! We would be very grateful if you could offer us any advice.

1. That old chestnut, cost of living! We understand that the taxation rate for NYS is very high. What percentage of salary are we talking about? Also we were told that costs for heating in the winter can be high. Could you please give us a rough idea of how much heating would cost? Any other info on cost of living would also be helpful.

2. Would we be better to buy or rent bearing in mind we would only be in the US for 3 years. We liked the Delmar/Bethlehem area.

3. We have 3 children who are currently in years 7, 9 and 11 in the UK. We were quite impressed with the schools that we looked at. We realise that this is not the ideal time in their education to move the children, but would be interested in your views on the education system. Also has anyone moved back to the UK with children who have achieved Regents Exams or APs and then gone on to University?

4. Weather. Do you find it easy to cope with the cold winters?

5. Any advice on the Albany area would be great.

6. Car insurance. We both have full no claims bonus. Would this be considered at all or would we be starting from scratch? Is car insurance expensive in NYS?

Any other advice you could give would be gratefully received as we have not yet made a decision and are sure to be pushed for one soon!!!

Thanks.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 11:31 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Proposed move to Albany

Originally Posted by Mini-mum
Hi All

My husband has been offered a 3 year contract in Albany, New York State. We have been over for a brief visit to look around the area and also visited some schools. We appreciate that ‘just visiting’ can feel a bit like a holiday and it’s difficult not to look at it all with rose tinted glasses. As you can imagine we came back with lots of information, but also lots of questions! We would be very grateful if you could offer us any advice.

1. That old chestnut, cost of living! We understand that the taxation rate for NYS is very high. What percentage of salary are we talking about? Also we were told that costs for heating in the winter can be high. Could you please give us a rough idea of how much heating would cost? Any other info on cost of living would also be helpful.

2. Would we be better to buy or rent bearing in mind we would only be in the US for 3 years. We liked the Delmar/Bethlehem area.

3. We have 3 children who are currently in years 7, 9 and 11 in the UK. We were quite impressed with the schools that we looked at. We realise that this is not the ideal time in their education to move the children, but would be interested in your views on the education system. Also has anyone moved back to the UK with children who have achieved Regents Exams or APs and then gone on to University?

6. Car insurance. We both have full no claims bonus. Would this be considered at all or would we be starting from scratch? Is car insurance expensive in NYS?

Any other advice you could give would be gratefully received as we have not yet made a decision and are sure to be pushed for one soon!!!

Thanks.
I live 2 hours north of Alnany in the sticks.

Heating bills:...f'kin astronimical. Expect monthly electric bills in the region of $300 to $400. of course this also depends on what heating sytem your house will have, furnace, electri, wood stove, infloor heating or a combination of them.
Weather:: F'kin cold. The weather upstate can be brutal. I have seen -42C at night and -29C during the day. However, I am a little further noth than you in a notorious spot for hard winters.

Personally, I like Albany but you should also look at Troy and Schenectady for comparision, although some parts of these towns are not as nice as others.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 12:03 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

6. Car insurance. We both have full no claims bonus. Would this be considered at all or would we be starting from scratch?
Generally not considered and foreigners start from scratch as if you were 18 year olds - but having said that you do hear about the occasional case where US insurance companies have taken into account expats previous driving history so it's worth a try.

You will also both have to get NYS driving licenses (including taking written and road tests) but it's a doddle.

Car insurance in NYS is often expensive compared to most other states but less so than a few others (eg NJ).
Old Jun 14th 2006, 12:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Thanks.
1. Depends on the size of your house. I found we roughly paid per month here what we paid per year in the UK. i.e. gas, electricity, telephone, car ins, council tax. It was 10 yrs ago and the apartment we rented was a open plan duplex so all the heat dissappeared upstairs. In summer you will need air. con. which is just as if not more than the winter gas heating bills.

2. Tough, property prices may have peaked in this area and who knows how easy it will be to sell in 3 yrs. All depends how much your husbands company is willing to contribute.

3. Make sure you live in a good school district. Could be a problem with your 11 yr old if you are moving back to the UK in 3 yrs. My daughter was 11 when we moved here.

4. Yes the winters are cold, but usually the sky is bright blue and the sun is shining. It is very dry in winter, not damp like the UK. IMO the winters here are much better because of the sun and lack of dampness. We can also have periods when it can be quite warm. A 4 wheel drive vehicle is worth considering.

5. Sorry can't help you there.

6. Forget any UK history, same applies to your credit rating. You will be starting from scratch. Car ins. is very expensive.

Look carefully into health insurance ie what the employer will cover, what your contribution will be, also dental and optical insurance and prescription insurance. There is often a co-pay to pay each time you visit a doctor, hospital or need meds. try to find out how much this is especially as you are a family of 5. Use the search facility on this site because many of your questions and others have been answered time and time again.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 14th 2006 at 12:57 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 12:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

How rude of me.....welcome to BE.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 3:06 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Thanks.

Sent you a PM
Old Jun 14th 2006, 6:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

what visa you on? L1a/b? because if you got an H1B and spouse on H4, wouldn't be able to work on it.

another thought, your eldest is 11, 3 years in the US 14...it's GCSE time back in blighty, could be a tough trans, and need to keep track on the curriculum back home, and also definately make sure you have 3 years residency back in the UK so that you don't have to pay international rates....temp company transfer could be a way out of that, but if you decide to stay and go for greencard, that'll put paid to that.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
what visa you on? L1a/b? because if you got an H1B and spouse on H4, wouldn't be able to work on it.

another thought, your eldest is 11, 3 years in the US 14...it's GCSE time back in blighty, could be a tough trans, and need to keep track on the curriculum back home, and also definately make sure you have 3 years residency back in the UK so that you don't have to pay international rates....temp company transfer could be a way out of that, but if you decide to stay and go for greencard, that'll put paid to that.
Don't know what visa we'd be on - company sorting that out, but they did say they would organise a green card for me.

My kids are in years 7, 9 and 11 which makes them 12, 14 and 16 years old . My oldest is just doing his GCSEs this week.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 6:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Don't know what visa we'd be on - company sorting that out, but they did say they would organise a green card for me.

My kids are in years 7, 9 and 11 which makes them 12, 14 and 16 years old . My oldest is just doing his GCSEs this week.
If you are only here for 3 yrs you don't need a GC....or are they planning on you staying longer. A green card is very expensive especially for 5 people they won't be offering that for nothing.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 6:13 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
How rude of me.....welcome to BE.
yeah.. wheres yer manners, lass??
Old Jun 14th 2006, 6:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

chances are an L1 which means you can apply for an EAD to work, which you couldn't on an H1B...but quota has filled for that already anyway...L1 is a company transfer.

If you are only staying for 3 years, don't go for the greencard because your kids will have to pay international rates for uni back in blighty, an]d that could be 10-20K a year.

If you know you want to stay longer, greencard process can take as little as months and up to a few years to get, so you do need to plan things out now.

oh yeah, and welcome to the site
Old Jun 14th 2006, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the welcomes.

I'm not very au fait on the visas, etc. but should have said that my husband's company said they would apply for 'something' so that I could work!!
Old Jun 14th 2006, 6:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks for the welcomes.

I'm not very au fait on the visas, etc. but should have said that my husband's company said they would apply for 'something' so that I could work!!

Haha....he must be on a L1 then.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 7:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Thanks for the welcomes.

that's nice that they'll apply for the EAD, has to be renewed every year though and it's a couple hundred bucks almost...
Old Jun 14th 2006, 9:36 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE!

I think you should consider that your 16 year old stay on in the UK and go to boarding school or stay with a relative for 'A' levels and then possibly go to college in the US.

University courses in the US are for four years, unlike three in the UK. College fees can be astronomical even for resident students, often far higher than in the UK.

We moved to the USA when our daughter had just taken her IGCSE's at 16. She had an American boyfriend who attended the prestigious Singapore American School and said that the work he was doing was two years behind what she had done...yet they were the same age and the same grade.

My daughter also wasn't keen on joining a local US school as she thought it might be too 'cliquey' so in the end she chose to go to boarding school in Oxford, where quite a number of girls arrived to join the Sixth Form. My husband negotiated with his company and they paid GBP10k per year towards the fees.

You might need to register with the New York Times to read this report but it is all about young people fleeing Upstate New York and was published today (13 June):

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/13/ny...&ex=1150430400

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.