Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Property Taxes?

Wikiposts

Property Taxes?

Old Feb 2nd 2008, 3:31 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property Taxes?

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Forgive my ignorance - do roaches not exist in the UK? That would be fabulous if it was the case!

I've always found that when lots of trees are about - the potential for roaches exists. We had a couple in my house growing up, and it was always tidy. I used to fear putting on my shoes in the dark. Blech.

Now we don't have that problem - but have had a couple of field mouse in our house during the winter in the past. Again - Blech.
Course they are .....90% of resturant have an infestation ..
http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th2.htm
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 3:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Forgive my ignorance - do roaches not exist in the UK? That would be fabulous if it was the case!

I've always found that when lots of trees are about - the potential for roaches exists. We had a couple in my house growing up, and it was always tidy. I used to fear putting on my shoes in the dark. Blech.

Now we don't have that problem - but have had a couple of field mouse in our house during the winter in the past. Again - Blech.
We do but because of the climate they are not so widespread or as big. The only ones I have seen are in Florida, New Orleans and Fiji. OMG the one in the bathroom in Fiji was as big as a mouse.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 4:07 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Roaches in the UK are about 1/3rd the size of an American roach and need warm preferrably steamy conditions which limits their range considerably.

We do have roaches here and yes, they can fly, though I'm very thankful we aren't as humid as the areas near the Gulf. There it is next to impossible to be rid of the damned things, in which case get a cat.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 4:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Roaches in the UK are about 1/3rd the size of an American roach and need warm preferrably steamy conditions which limits their range considerably.

We do have roaches here and yes, they can fly, though I'm very thankful we aren't as humid as the areas near the Gulf. There it is next to impossible to be rid of the damned things, in which case get a cat.
STOP IT...STOP IT.

Now I can't stop itching and scratching.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the ones in Ohio fly.

Agree about the cat - I love grabbing my orange cat and pointing at an insect now and then. Chomp! Problem solved.

Of course - we do have the 17 year cicadas. Pic just for JG.
Attached Thumbnails Property Taxes?-cicada-s.jpg  
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 4:21 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Now I can't stop itching and scratching.
They usually don't cause much scratching!

Now fire ants.... that's a whole nuther story.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

They usually don't cause much scratching!

Now fire ants.... that's a whole nuther story.
The cicadas could cause scratching - mainly because they will climb down into your clothes.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 4:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I don't think the ones in Ohio fly.

Agree about the cat - I love grabbing my orange cat and pointing at an insect now and then. Chomp! Problem solved.

Of course - we do have the 17 year cicadas. Pic just for JG.
We have those too...the last time in this area was 1996. We do get the odd one or dozen in the summer...usually in the pool filter.

Don't even get me started on cave crickets.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ray
Course they are .....90% of resturant have an infestation ..
http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th2.htm
I love the fact that 3 of the 4 cockroaches that are a problem in the UK (per that site) are the American, Australian, and German varieties.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We have those too...the last time in this area was 1996. We do get the odd one or dozen in the summer...usually in the pool filter.

Don't even get me started on cave crickets.
It's wild isn't it? We didn't have them up north but had the 17 year wave about 4 years ago here. I remember a tree outside the house we were renting that would pulse with them - like a cloud constantly reforming in the branches. And the noise was deafening!

Now you have me wondering what a cave cricket is.
Lapine Member

The cicadas could cause scratching - mainly because they will climb down into your clothes.
A friend was watching opera performed at a Houston amphitheatre. During the most dramatic aria, the soprano's mouth opened wide and in flew a cicada! I haven't had a cicada to contend with but have had a June bug pop in when I was talking!

I think growing up with Bugs has given me a distinct survival advantage. I really can't take snow for months on end but there's not a bug I can't co-exist with.
SUPER MODERATOR

I love the fact that 3 of the 4 cockroaches that are a problem in the UK (per that site) are the American, Australian, and German varieties.
Why? Us Brits wouldn't dream of admitting to having cockroaches of our own.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 4:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

It's wild isn't it? We didn't have them up north but had the 17 year wave about 4 years ago here. I remember a tree outside the house we were renting that would pulse with them - like a cloud constantly reforming in the branches. And the noise was deafening!

Now you have me wondering what a cave cricket is.
It looks like a large spider but only has six legs. It's almost blind and tends to accidently jump at you. We have them in the basement and despite fogging and Terminex we can't get rid of the buggers.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 4:33 pm
Lapine Member

Yeah, even the "common" one is labelled "oriental."

We have cicadas every year and we used to climb trees to catch them when I was a girl. They are "dog-day" cicadas since they emerge as adults in the late summer.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A friend was watching opera performed at a Houston amphitheatre. During the most dramatic aria, the soprano's mouth opened wide and in flew a cicada!

They supposedly taste like canned asparagus - but I don't intend to try one.

It looks like a large spider but only has six legs. It's almost blind and tends to accidently jump at you. We have them in the basement and despite fogging and Terminex we can't get rid of the buggers.
Oh my gosh JG - do they have striped legs? We have a scary bug I've seen in the basement - and I have no idea what it is - but it will jump at you - and has tiger striped long legs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.