Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Property tax in CT

Property tax in CT

Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

meshwill is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Property tax in CT

Have just found out about Property tax, read lots of info but just wondered if someone could confirm I have understood it;
Basically on the property listing for a $700k house it says "est.taxes $11561" so I have to pay $963 (£644) every month, this is the equivalent of Council tax in the UK where I currently pay £200 per month?.
Have I understood it correctly?
Thanks!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property tax in CT

Originally Posted by meshwill
Have just found out about Property tax, read lots of info but just wondered if someone could confirm I have understood it;
Basically on the property listing for a $700k house it says "est.taxes $11561" so I have to pay $963 (£644) every month, this is the equivalent of Council tax in the UK where I currently pay £200 per month?.
Thanks!

Correct....I wish our property tax was that figure.

Welcome to America!!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:20 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
I thought Property tax was higher than that in CT more like New Jersey? Here it's something like 1%
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

OMG!! wow, how does anyone afford anything! that's almost what my mtge costs here!!
Well better hope hubby gets a huge payrise with his new job! haha!
Thanks
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:25 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I found this list of rates by state.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/10/bu...ates.html?_r=1
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:32 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to low-tax America!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, at least I'm not in Texas! Hawaii looks good!!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:37 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
It's not really the full picture. You have to take into account property tax, sales tax, state and local income tax, and taxes connected with owning a vehicle to get a true picture of what you're going to be paying to the government locally.

For example, we had a Houston noob here a few weeks ago who was so happy that Texas didn't do state income tax. When she looks on the property tax rate on your link, she's in for a little surprise.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
It's not really the full picture. You have to take into account property tax, sales tax, state and local income tax, and taxes connected with owning a vehicle to get a true picture of what you're going to be paying to the government locally.

For example, we had a Houston noob here a few weeks ago who was so happy that Texas didn't do state income tax. When she looks on the property tax rate on your link, she's in for a little surprise.
It gives California as 0.68 in that link but ours is 1.1
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:41 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It gives California as 0.68 in that link but ours is 1.1
They're out to get you!

California is one of those places that overdoes it on everything. How much to keep your car on the road?
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
They're out to get you!

California is one of those places that overdoes it on everything. How much to keep your car on the road?
$506 pa for our 2.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:46 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

also - the property tax is USUALLY paid twce a year or annually. (The americans seem to have an issue with monthly!).

However often the property tax is paid alongside the mortgage. Ie we pay our mortgage monthly - but pay included in the sum a monthly amount towards our property tax and our house insurance etc. It sits in an escrow account (bank take care of it) and then bank just make the bi-annual payment when required - so we dont have to worry about separate payments. Our property tax is about $750 a month! It was just assessed a few months ag o (house was only built in 2008) and we had been putting only $600 a month in escrow - so now we have to pay more each month so that when the 'first half years' bill comes in in July - we have enough in escrow to meet it. (NB we also had to pay something like 9 months worth of the property tax and insurance into the escrow kitty when we closed the mortgage so we are technically paid up for several months right now.)

Its funny - the US has its knickers in a twist about this new healthcare law being the first steps to a nanny state- yet its quite common to not trust us homeowners to be able to remember to pay our own property tax and insurance and to do it for us!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:47 pm
Septicity

Thanks, at least I'm not in Texas! Hawaii looks good!!
You're probably better off in Texas taxation -wise than anywhere in New England. They haven't renamed your neighbour Taxachussets for nothing!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:50 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
$506 pa for our 2.
It's a tax!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:52 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
Its funny - the US has its knickers in a twist about this new healthcare law being the first steps to a nanny state- yet its quite common to not trust us homeowners to be able to remember to pay our own property tax and insurance and to do it for us!
I suspect it is more to do with money than trust. It is always about the money...

A lot of money to be made on all that escrow money sitting in someone else's account, I presume.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.