Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Property tax in CT

Property tax in CT

Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:59 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property tax in CT

Originally Posted by meshwill
Have just found out about Property tax, read lots of info but just wondered if someone could confirm I have understood it;
Basically on the property listing for a $700k house it says "est.taxes $11561" so I have to pay $963 (£644) every month, this is the equivalent of Council tax in the UK where I currently pay £200 per month?.
Have I understood it correctly?
Thanks!
The tax is actually paid twice a year -- July and January, but most mortgage companies do collect the escrow and make the payment for you. The personal property tax on your real estate changes every year because of something called the "mill rate," which gets calculated when the town budget has been set for the year. The amount you pay for your house depends on the town's evaluation of the house, which is done every few years. For instance, my last revaluation took place in 2008, and the next one is set for 2012 -- bad news as the market was high when the reval was done.

Being rotten at maths, I found this description: A mill is equal to $1.00 of tax for each $1,000 of assessment. To calculate the property tax, multiply the assessment of the property by the mill rate and divide by 1,000. For example, a property with a assessed value of $50,000 located in a municipality with a mill rate of 20 mills would have a property tax bill of $1,000 per year. You were looking at Ridgefield, and I found this re their rate (which I now realize is the same as the example!): As of July 1, 2009 the mill rate is 20.00 mills for every $1,000.00 of assessed value. The town government will be meeting now to set the budget for the year commencing July 1, 2010.

The personal property tax on your car gets less as it ages.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meshwill
OMG!! wow, how does anyone afford anything!
By not buying a $700K house...
Old Mar 25th 2010, 6:26 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
By not buying a $700K house...
One has to live where one works. The bubble may have burst, but Fairfield County is still Fairfield County.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 7:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
The personal property tax on your car gets less as it ages.
but not down nearly as fast as the blue book value of the car...ours hasn't depreciated in value in 4 years according to our town
Old Mar 25th 2010, 7:54 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by Bob
but not down nearly as fast as the blue book value of the car...ours hasn't depreciated in value in 4 years according to our town
That's pretty miserable. At least while the house soars, our vehicles go down. My 20-year-old car is below $50 a year now!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 8:31 pm
B65
Forum Regular

B65 is an unknown quantity at this point

It really does depend on where you live in CT, near NYC you will pay a lot more for house and property taxes, I live in a nice village in CT ( I am also a Realtor) and you can get a gorgeous 3 or 4 bed, 2 bath on a few acres for less than 300K here........ the property taxes on that are
$3500 per year.. it is normally divided up and added monthly to your mortgage payment which is called a piti payment, Mortgage, house insurance and taxes in one.

Last edited by B65; Mar 25th 2010 at 8:31 pm. Reason: sp
Old Mar 25th 2010, 8:44 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by B65
It really does depend on where you live in CT, near NYC you will pay a lot more for house and property taxes, I live in a nice village in CT ( I am also a Realtor) and you can get a gorgeous 3 or 4 bed, 2 bath on a few acres for less than 300K here........ the property taxes on that are $3500 per year..
Sounds lovely. But you live closer to RI than NYC, so that doesn't help the OP, who needs to be proximate to Stamford.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 8:47 pm
B65
Forum Regular

nutmegger my husband commutes a few hours a day to live in a place that is cheaper, i was just throwing out an alternative.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 8:51 pm
B65
Forum Regular

nice home in fairfield, 4 bed 2 bath... $345k everything is relative i guess....

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...825_1094168138
Old Mar 25th 2010, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B65
nice home in fairfield, 4 bed 2 bath... $345k everything is relative i guess....

It's not the whole of that house in the pic.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 9:17 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by B65

But with all due respect, this is an adjoined townhouse, on a lot, in an urban area off a busy road -- all things the OP said she did not want. I'm afraid that in Fairfield County, you get what you pay for; which is not to say that these days there aren't bargains in the $500-600,000 range in the upmarket towns.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

meshwill is an unknown quantity at this point

As kind as it is of you to send me houses in other places, I have set my heart on a big 4/5 bed house, some land, couple of bathrooms, room for the in laws, and huge curb appeal!!.
If I have to give up my cherished 5 bed home in the UK, that I have lovingly done up, to follow my Hubby whilst he does the career move, then I want to be compensated for leaving my house, friends, my business (that I'll have to sell or close down and I started it from scratch) etc etc so a 700K house it the least he can cough up for!!
Old Mar 26th 2010, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

But with all due respect, this is an adjoined townhouse, on a lot, in an urban area off a busy road -- all things the OP said she did not want. I'm afraid that in Fairfield County, you get what you pay for; which is not to say that these days there aren't bargains in the $500-600,000 range in the upmarket towns.

Nutmegger is right, I do want a quiet area, nice detached house etc, I may well get something for less than 700k but if I aim for that then anything less is a bonus!
Old Mar 26th 2010, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

nutmegger my husband commutes a few hours a day to live in a place that is cheaper, i was just throwing out an alternative.
We're moving for work but also to spend more time together as a family, so a long commute is out, I'd rather pay more to be closer and have Hubby home before 9pm!!
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

BlightyBoy is on a distinguished road

Hi,

This is correct. Your town taxes are divided up over a 12 month period in addition to your monthly mortgage. They also increase with time as well.
But, as a person living in CT, I will say that figure is extremely high. You must be looking in quite an affluent town.
Consider this, do you really need a $700,000 home here? - A home that fetches that sort of price round here is comparable to a mansion!
I'd say that the majority of middle class folks pay anywhere from $5000 - $6,500 in CT.
(p.s. - a town that charges that extreme fee for taxes would have to be: Greenwich, Fairfield, Simsbury - where all the rich people live)

Hope this helps!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.