Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Proper chippy in Santa Barbara

Wikiposts

Proper chippy in Santa Barbara

Old Sep 16th 2010, 8:37 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proper chippy in Santa Barbara

Originally Posted by bivlover
Chippie purists from Yorkshire would always say that a chippie should be judged on the quality of the fish rather than anything else.
Whereas the rest of us know it's all about the chips...

Seriously though - I've been to places all over the world that do fantastic fish in batter. The places I've found outside the UK that do chips like a British chip shop I can literally count on one hand.

And I've traveled a lot.

And eaten lots of chips.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 3:06 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bivlover
Chippie purists from Yorkshire would always say that a chippie should be judged on the quality of the fish rather than anything else.
By that token, Ramsdens is bloody excellent, especially the Guiseley restaurant, which built its reputation over the years on the back of it's close proximity to Highroyds but this also applies to their other stores in the UK - Brighton, Blackpool. However, I agree that the Ramsdens chips are not very good.

I'm very excited to learn of this chippy in Santa Barbara. If there was one material thing about the UK I would expect to miss about the UK when I move to America, fish and chips would be it - this thread has confirmed for me that I need not miss them at all! Santa Barbara is where I will be getting married
Well I am from Yorkshire and don't know anyone who would put HR above most corner shop chippys. If its all about the fish, the US will be fine for you, you can get battered fish most places with french fries

Originally Posted by tonrob
Whereas the rest of us know it's all about the chips...

Seriously though - I've been to places all over the world that do fantastic fish in batter. The places I've found outside the UK that do chips like a British chip shop I can literally count on one hand.

And I've traveled a lot.

And eaten lots of chips.
I chips
Old Sep 17th 2010, 3:57 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I chips
And chips will love you right back!