Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Proper chippy in Santa Barbara

Wikiposts

Proper chippy in Santa Barbara

Old Sep 14th 2010, 2:11 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proper chippy in Santa Barbara

Originally Posted by tonrob
I'll helpfully mention that the Santa Barbara Brewing Co is practically next door...
stirrer

I'm surprised your not looking for a move to that street.

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
1 day and 2 hours away maybe hubby will take me for my birthday
Typical I find out about this place just as we are about to leave
Old Sep 15th 2010, 5:23 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

One day and nine hours away for me
Old Sep 15th 2010, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

Mmmm... beef & onion pie.

They are very good at producing malt vinegar in the pubs in Minneapolis, but the skinny potatoes are definitely fries and not chips. My friend & I were talking about working for ourselves the other day, perhaps we should open a fish'n'chip shop. With the volume of Brits that pop up, I reckon there'll be a market
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

chrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to all

Originally Posted by N1cky
I'm actually allergic to fish, but could kill for a proper chip butty with scraps. Hubby is very excited though, think that will be a weekend visit. Mmm, mushy peas too.
Scraps...

I'm from Bristol and when I went to York for university I had some fish and chips and the woman asked my if I wanted scraps, I was very confused. My friend from Scarborough said yes for me and she proceded to put them on (excess bits of fried batter for the uninitiated) which led to my face developing a new level of confusion, I've never been convinced but Northerners seem to love them.

The feeling of finding a local chip shop that can fry chips properly (which is actually a rare thing in my experience) is amazing, especially if you've moved away from a shop that you know and love.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chrisbeale
Scraps...

I'm from Bristol and when I went to York for university I had some fish and chips and the woman asked my if I wanted scraps, I was very confused. My friend from Scarborough said yes for me and she proceded to put them on (excess bits of fried batter for the uninitiated) which led to my face developing a new level of confusion, I've never been convinced but Northerners seem to love them.
You've just reminded me of something. My H is also from Bristol, and when I graduated I worked at a pub in Fishponds for a while. The landlords son came to visit from Newcastle, and was most perplexed by a chip shop visit. He asked for fish and chips without batter, which caused confusion, as they thought the no batter referred to the fish, when in fact, he meant the chips
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

OOhh ... I'm heading up that way this weekend ... and will look forward to checking this place out!

Thanks for the info!
Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:45 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by limeynus
OOhh ... I'm heading up that way this weekend ... and will look forward to checking this place out!

Thanks for the info!
I'll see you in the line
Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:46 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

I'll see you in the line
Hello, Nora, my sweet

(Currently watching Last of the summer wine on netflix mainly for the scenery)
Old Sep 15th 2010, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by chrisbeale
Scraps...

The feeling of finding a local chip shop that can fry chips properly (which is actually a rare thing in my experience) is amazing, especially if you've moved away from a shop that you know and love.
Also known as 'bits' but that seems a bit rude now

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Hello, Nora, my sweet

(Currently watching Last of the summer wine on netflix mainly for the scenery)
Lovely isn't it. That was my home for 10 years
Old Sep 15th 2010, 2:26 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

Lovely isn't it. That was my home for 10 years
Aye it make me home sick, as does the thought of decent F&C's

I'd love to walk into a fish shop here and say 'twice please' and have them know what I meant.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

mikeco1 will become famous soon enoughmikeco1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tonrob
Did I tell you I went to a proper British chippy in Santa Barbara while Mrs tonrob and I were on our hold last month?

The real deal and no mistake.

Lovely!
There's no way any chippy will beat Harry Ramsdens in Guiseley Yorkshire

Mike
Old Sep 16th 2010, 12:53 am
Sleepless In Chicago

Originally Posted by mikeco1
There's no way any chippy will beat Harry Ramsdens in Guiseley Yorkshire

Mike
They used to be good when my dad worked in Guiseley but may as well have been the Mc Donalds of fish and chips now.

There were plenty of small local chippies near by that out ranked them.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
They used to be good when my dad worked in Guiseley but may as well have been the Mc Donalds of fish and chips now.

There were plenty of small local chippies near by that out ranked them.
Agreed, I was never a fan of Harry's. They have a Harry Ramsdens in Epcot, it always smells lush but they're chips are crap
Old Sep 16th 2010, 10:08 am
Account Closed

bivlover is an unknown quantity at this point

Chippie purists from Yorkshire would always say that a chippie should be judged on the quality of the fish rather than anything else.
By that token, Ramsdens is bloody excellent, especially the Guiseley restaurant, which built its reputation over the years on the back of it's close proximity to Highroyds but this also applies to their other stores in the UK - Brighton, Blackpool. However, I agree that the Ramsdens chips are not very good.

I'm very excited to learn of this chippy in Santa Barbara. If there was one material thing about the UK I would expect to miss about the UK when I move to America, fish and chips would be it - this thread has confirmed for me that I need not miss them at all! Santa Barbara is where I will be getting married
Old Sep 16th 2010, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

mikeco1 will become famous soon enoughmikeco1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bivlover
Chippie purists from Yorkshire would always say that a chippie should be judged on the quality of the fish rather than anything else.
By that token, Ramsdens is bloody excellent, especially the Guiseley restaurant, which built its reputation over the years on the back of it's close proximity to Highroyds but this also applies to their other stores in the UK - Brighton, Blackpool. However, I agree that the Ramsdens chips are not very good.

Highroyds mental institution has gone, was taken over by a developer years ago,
Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.