Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

"Professional" job without degree

"Professional" job without degree

Old May 24th 2018, 8:58 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Professional" job without degree

Originally Posted by steveq
Not sure Software engineering is a real thing yet.
Other engineers create things which very rarely fail, by design, straight out of the gate. Bridges, tunnels, skyscrapers sort of thing.
Now think about software.
so wtf is research engineering? is that a real thing yet?

hmvsdog - i have zero degrees, i hate studying. However, for my specific field in IT - experience + the relevant Microsoft certs speaks louder than degrees and I know it'd be fairly easy if i wanted to move on from my current firm.

Oh, my title is also an Engineer, but i'm not real, nor is my work.
Old May 27th 2018, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

In the USA it is not about degrees it is about what value you bring to a company. Your job is to make people aware of what you can bring to the table that few people can.

Originally Posted by hmvsdog
The definition of a professional job in the United States, is one that requires a degree to perform. I never went to university in the UK and instead took a job as a Trainee Software Developer. 20+ years later after a couple of company changes, promotions and a country change on L-1A, I am a Director of a Software Development Company, still without a degree. If I wanted (in the future this is, not right now) to change company and work for a different employer in the United States, I've heard anecdotally that this can cause issues as the degree is looked at and if it's not there, the resume goes in the trash. The lady I spoke to about this in our recruitment team advised to reach out to prospective hiring managers on LinkedIn first, as companies are starting to see the value in long term experience over a university or college degree from 20+ years ago. She said that it may cause a little headache, but is not an insurmountable problem.

I wondered if anyone here had a similar story or could offer any tales from their experience?

Thanks!
Old May 29th 2018, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

talkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond repute

This is more general advice. Currently people are questioning the value of CS degree giving actual cost of the college education in US. Regardless of that, I would strongly suggest for anyone who is under age 30 to consider getting his/her college degree in the field that would provide competitive skills in US job market. It is absolutely true that you will find professional job without a degree, but you may also loose your job for not having one. I've seen it. My professor at college told me once that getting Bachelor degree is like getting "an union card". She was right about that. The reality is that certain level of education is always required when searching for the right candidate and you will have to provide some documentation in a form of diploma or college transcript. In certain fields you will not be permitted to work unless your education meets the US standards and it will require passing federal or state mandated tests. This is similar to other countries. If you would like to work for public federal or state sector, you must have Bachelor degree for some positions. If you do not have US degree, your will have to produce proof that your have an education equivalent to US one.
Old May 30th 2018, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by talkto_menow
My professor at college told me once that getting Bachelor degree is like getting "an union card".
Union Cards don't usually come with a dose of Chlamydia!
Old May 30th 2018, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

We're currently hiring "Software Engineers" straight out of college at $90k in Houston, TX.

Please show me a role in which a 21 year old without a degree would warrant $90k (although I don't really think this does, either, but that's a different story) - to me that's the value of your degree right there, else we wouldn't even consider you for a position at that level, or anything close to it, for that matter.
Old May 30th 2018, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
We're currently hiring "Software Engineers" straight out of college at $90k in Houston, TX.

Please show me a role in which a 21 year old without a degree would warrant $90k (although I don't really think this does, either, but that's a different story) - to me that's the value of your degree right there, else we wouldn't even consider you for a position at that level, or anything close to it, for that matter.
A 21 year old could land a software engineering job without a degree. Spoiler: I did.
Old May 30th 2018, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

talkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Union Cards don't usually come with a dose of Chlamydia!
Is there something your would like to share with everyone?
Old May 30th 2018, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts

You don't necessarily need a degree to be a Software Engineer. One of our best where I work with 15 years of experience does not. (Although these days, I would tend to agree a degree is a must for someone with 0 years experience).
The DOL OOH says as much.

Last edited by neill; May 30th 2018 at 4:28 pm.
Old May 30th 2018, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Payscales where I work mean that you earn about $10k less if you don't have a degree.
Old May 31st 2018, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by talkto_menow
Is there something your would like to share with everyone?
Just an observation that many college graduates will leave college with more than just their diploma! Current estimations put the number of college students contracting an STD at one in four, that's quite high and there's quite the choice to be had - besides Chlamydia other common delightful afflictions include Gonorrhea, Herpes and Syphilis.