Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New US arrivals needing SS number - headsup.

New US arrivals needing SS number - headsup.

Old May 17th 2018, 10:13 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default New US arrivals needing SS number - headsup.

Many of my colleagues all over the USA are reporting problems with ss number applications - especially L1 and L2 visa applicants. The issue is the ss office not being able to verify people through SAVE, Even waiting 7-10 days after arrival doesn't always help.
Apparently there was a software upgrade in April somewhere between USCIS/SAVE databases and it hasn't gone well.
People who applied in April and did not show up in the SAVE database, went into manual verification and in many cases, they are still waiting The companies I work with have advised anyone who applied in early April and hasn't yet had their social security number through to apply again. In many instances the applications from early April have been lost.
The advice right now, is to wait a minimum of 7-10 days before going to the social security office to try and avoid problems. If you end up going through manual verification it can take 4 weeks for the social security card to arrive.
If you are in this situation, it would be wise to alert your employer so that they can arrange to pay you without the social security number.
Old May 18th 2018, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

vindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nice
Default Re: New US arrivals needing SS number - headsup.

Frustrating news. I have just had my L1 petition approved and am hoping to get a SSN swiftly once I get out to the US shortly. So I need to wait 7-10 days after arriving in the country for the databases to update before applying for a SSN?
Old May 18th 2018, 12:28 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

So I need to wait 7-10 days after arriving in the country for the databases to update before applying for a SSN?
As a minimum IMO.
Old May 18th 2018, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vindico
So I need to wait 7-10 days after arriving in the country for the databases to update before applying for a SSN?
That ha always been the advice on this forum, for some years.
Old May 18th 2018, 2:40 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
That ha always been the advice on this forum, for some years.
Well, reality has been that the system worked really well and if you could print out the i94 then you were almost definitely good to go the following day since the databases updated overnight.

I'm wondering if this latest disruption also affects DL applications? There was somebody on here a few weeks ago that couldn't get their DL because they couldn't be verified by SAVE.
Old May 18th 2018, 2:46 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by vindico
Frustrating news. I have just had my L1 petition approved and am hoping to get a SSN swiftly once I get out to the US shortly. So I need to wait 7-10 days after arriving in the country for the databases to update before applying for a SSN?
I would wait.
Once you apply, if they can't verify you then you will have to be manually verified which means a 4 week wait. If you go at 7 days then you're more likely to be ok and in that case the cards are arriving about 7=10 days later. The most affected States appeared to be California and Washinton DC but now reports of difficulty are coming in from other places too.
Old May 18th 2018, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Silvergirl is an unknown quantity at this point

We arrived on E-2 visas just over two weeks ago and went to apply for the SSN yesterday (so well after 10 days after arriving), we had our I-94 and all documents, they told us it will be a 4 to 6 weeks wait ....
This is in California.
its frustrating because everything is dependent on this SSN - getting a drivers license, credit cards, etc.
Old May 18th 2018, 6:38 pm
JJ123

Jamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond repute

Just adding my own personal experience. I arrived on an IR1 3 weeks ago today. I waited 10 working days and then headed to the SS office on this past Monday just gone. They had no record of me being in their system or of an application, so they made an application for me then and there. They said it would take 2 more weeks, but it arrived in the mail this morning, so 4 days after I applied. Not sure if the process is any different on an L1 or L2 Visa, so I apologize if my experience isn't relevant!
Old May 18th 2018, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I had to be manually verified back in 2011, was never sure why. I was on an L-1B and it took around two months to get my Social Security number. I got paid without any issues but it caused other problems, for example getting a driving license (in VA).
Old May 19th 2018, 12:09 am
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by yellowroom
I had to be manually verified back in 2011, was never sure why. I was on an L-1B and it took around two months to get my Social Security number. I got paid without any issues but it caused other problems, for example getting a driving license (in VA).
well I learned something new today...
concerning driver's license and this might be unique to Texas. You can sign an affidavit at the Texas driver's license office to say that you don'thave/can't have a social secuirty number on any visa providing you do it BEFORE you even apply for the SSN. This was told to me by an official when I asked how a client of mine could manage if his ssn doesn't arrive within the 90 days grace period for Texas.
Old May 21st 2018, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

LonSea is an unknown quantity at this point

We arrived on Sunday and applied for SSN on Thurs (against the advice on this forum), my ssn arrived by the weds of the week after and my husbands about a week later on Tuesday. We applied on online and took in the papers to the office in NYC. No trouble at all. Now I'm hoping the EAD arrive as quickly, as the govt website is saying 7-9 months wait for that.

Edited: to say we are on E2 visas, there seems to be some general issues with L1/L2 visas from what I can see in this forum and from friends/others

Last edited by LonSea; May 21st 2018 at 12:08 pm.
Old May 21st 2018, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

cruise1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We waited 11 days before visiting our nearest Social Security office.... despite ticking the box during the Immigration process to request these be automatically assigned to us the lovely young lady in Fort Lauderdale advised we were NOT in the system. She created an application for us and provided us with letters stating they had been applied for and would arrive in two weeks .... they arrived about 10 days later . In hindsight now it’s the first place I would visit on arrival into the US.
Old May 22nd 2018, 1:56 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by cruise1
We waited 11 days before visiting our nearest Social Security office.... despite ticking the box during the Immigration process to request these be automatically assigned to us the lovely young lady in Fort Lauderdale advised we were NOT in the system. She created an application for us and provided us with letters stating they had been applied for and would arrive in two weeks .... they arrived about 10 days later . In hindsight now it’s the first place I would visit on arrival into the US.
Normally, if you can print out the i94, then it's a fairly safe bet that you can go to the SSA the next morning. However, right now, due to this mess created by the software upgrade in April, many, many more people than normal are not being found in the SAVE database. The companies I work with relocate people all over the USA and have reported way above average problems with automatic verification - especially in California and DC. For the moment, we ( international relocation consultants) are being advised to wait at least 7 days before going to the SSA.
Old May 22nd 2018, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Phyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
well I learned something new today...
concerning driver's license and this might be unique to Texas. You can sign an affidavit at the Texas driver's license office to say that you don'thave/can't have a social secuirty number on any visa providing you do it BEFORE you even apply for the SSN. This was told to me by an official when I asked how a client of mine could manage if his ssn doesn't arrive within the 90 days grace period for Texas.
The earlier SAVE question was me. This may help understand the challenges I faced around April.
For additional info; PA DMV requires a SSN or a letter stating you are not eligible for one.
Old May 23rd 2018, 12:45 am
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by Phyzz
The earlier SAVE question was me. This may help understand the challenges I faced around April.
For additional info; PA DMV requires a SSN or a letter stating you are not eligible for one.
Hi, is the situation resolved for you?
I'm hearing of people still waitng from early april for ssn despite having SAVE casecheck saying it's been referred back to the ssa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.