Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Procedures for changing Driving licence when moving to another state

Procedures for changing Driving licence when moving to another state

Old Mar 6th 2010, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

chopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nice
Default Procedures for changing Driving licence when moving to another state

Hi all
I got my California Driving license in July 09, shortly after my POE. I will soon be moving to FL to take a job.
I just want to ask if any Expats have had any bad experiences getting a new license when moving to another state.
Was it just a matter of filling in forms? Did you have to take the written test? Did you have to take a road test???
I know the tests are easy but I'm freaking out a little at the prospect of potentially mucking up and losing my license!
Will I be treat the same as a US citizen now that I have 7 months of clean US driving history?

Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 8:09 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Procedures for changing Driving licence when moving to another state

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dhsmv/newflres.html
Old Mar 6th 2010, 8:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Procedures for changing Driving licence when moving to another state

Depends entirely on the state you are moving too.

Usually, you just hand over the form, a wedge of money and give them your details.

Some states require you to do the theory test or the eye test and with others, it depends on your age or how long you've had your license, in Maine if your under 21 you have to retake the test but don't need a licensed driver with you nor hold a permit for x amount of months first kind of thing.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chopper40
Hi all
I got my California Driving license in July 09, shortly after my POE. I will soon be moving to FL to take a job.
I just want to ask if any Expats have had any bad experiences getting a new license when moving to another state.
Was it just a matter of filling in forms? Did you have to take the written test? Did you have to take a road test???
I know the tests are easy but I'm freaking out a little at the prospect of potentially mucking up and losing my license!
Will I be treat the same as a US citizen now that I have 7 months of clean US driving history?

Thanks for your help.
I went from RI to CA and just had to do eyesight and theory test....hope that helps!
Old Mar 6th 2010, 8:40 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.dmvflorida.org/drivers-license-oos.shtml
Old Mar 6th 2010, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

chopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Poppy Girl thanks for the link!
Looks like I'll be OK ... just a vision test.
cheers!
Old Mar 6th 2010, 8:59 pm

Default Re: Procedures for changing Driving license when moving to another state

Originally Posted by chopper40
Poppy Girl thanks for the link!
Looks like I'll be OK ... just a vision test.
cheers!
As Bob said they are all different, but looks like you are lucky

My Illinois DL was a test and it was a nightmare, I passed just, then I had to change it to a CA one that was a test and driving, and then I had a LA one which was just vision.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I just traded in my CA DL for an AZ DL. I also re-registered my car.

I went to the DMV and filled out a form or two for the registration; handed over the CA certificate of title, and was given an AZ one in its place, together with a (super cool!) AZ plate (I love the basic AZ plate, with the hills, the cactus, and the smoke rising). I then asked about Drivers License - 'over there' she pointed. Went 'over there', and within 15 minutes had a shiny new AZ DL, and a hole punched through my CA one. No test, no nothing. Just a few bucks

I'm not convinced I had to do this as I maintain a residence in CA, but I feel my car is way to conspicuous with a CA plate ...
Old Mar 7th 2010, 10:02 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I'm not convinced I had to do this as I maintain a residence in CA, but I feel my car is way to conspicuous with a CA plate ...
Traded in my California Driver's License and License plate for the Texas ones 2 years ago for the same reason. Only needed to take a vision test and no additional driving test needed. They however, confiscated my California DL
Old Mar 7th 2010, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lifehouse51
Traded in my California Driver's License and License plate for the Texas ones 2 years ago for the same reason. Only needed to take a vision test and no additional driving test needed. They however, confiscated my California DL
Since I'm expecting to spend 100% of 2010 working in AZ, I am going to file only AZ state taxes, and I was advised that in order to avoid CA breathing down my neck, I should take 'steps' to establish AZ residency (over and above buying a condo here!), so registration and license were on the list of recommended steps.