Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Problem with flight connection

Problem with flight connection

Old Oct 13th 2011, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

into_thewild is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Problem with flight connection

Hello all, sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place or if it falls out of the forum's remit however since I'm pretty sure lots of your have had flights to the US I thought I'd give it a shot.
Basically I fly from Glasgow to Boston tomorrow via Dublin. I booked the flight with Expedia.
I arrive in Dublin at 12.40 and my flight to Boston leaves at 2.10, I thought giving me plenty of time.
However I checked in online (you can only do so 24 hours prior to departing) and it says the gate to the flight to Boston closes at 12.55, meaning I have 15 minutes to make my connection.
I am pretty sure I am going to miss the flight. Anyone else been in this situation?
Old Oct 13th 2011, 7:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problem with flight connection

Originally Posted by Windolow
Hello all, sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place or if it falls out of the forum's remit however since I'm pretty sure lots of your have had flights to the US I thought I'd give it a shot.
Basically I fly from Glasgow to Boston tomorrow via Dublin. I booked the flight with Expedia.
I arrive in Dublin at 12.40 and my flight to Boston leaves at 2.10, I thought giving me plenty of time.
However I checked in online (you can only do so 24 hours prior to departing) and it says the gate to the flight to Boston closes at 12.55, meaning I have 15 minutes to make my connection.
I am pretty sure I am going to miss the flight. Anyone else been in this situation?
Ouch!! I'm pretty sure you have to go through US Immigration at Dublin Airport...that could take a while.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 7:51 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

Seen as it was booked as a single journey through an agent they may well express you through. That gate close time is crazy, they must be accounting for security and immigration and should be able to get you through if the first flight isn't late. If you do miss it, it's not your fault and they'll rebook you. I believe there are a lot of flights from Dublin to Boston, especially if they consider connections via New York and Philly so you shouldn't have a major problem.

Welcome to the joys of Tran-Atlantic flying lol.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 8:18 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

That's a crazy gate closure time - it suggests people will be sitting on a stationary plane for over an hour. I would call the airline and confirm the time; maybe it's a typo and was supposed to be 13:55?

Stupid question time - the flight departure time hasn't changed, has it?
Old Oct 13th 2011, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies guys. The flight departure time is printed as 14:10 on my boarding pass it says the same time on the website (no gate closure time on there though).
I hope it is a typo! It does seem odd to have folk sitting on a plane for an hour. Hopefully I won't get stuck and Dublin waiting ages for another flight. Chances are I'd just get drunk, resulting in being denied boarding to the next flight.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I flew MAN-JFK through Dublin back in March and the closure time includes allowance to pass US pre-clearance, essentially you need to be at pre-clearance by the time stated to be sure of making the flight.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 8:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies guys. The flight departure time is printed as 14:10 on my boarding pass it says the same time on the website (no gate closure time on there though).
I hope it is a typo! It does seem odd to have folk sitting on a plane for an hour. Hopefully I won't get stuck and Dublin waiting ages for another flight. Chances are I'd just get drunk, resulting in being denied boarding to the next flight.
You have 1 1/2 hours to clear security, clear US Immigration and board before your flight leaves...it's going to be tight.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You have 1 1/2 hours to clear security, clear US Immigration and board before your flight leaves...it's going to be tight.
I ran the Glasgow Half Marathon in 1 hour 23mins. Bring it on, Yankee.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I ran the Glasgow Half Marathon in 1 hour 23mins. Bring it on, Yankee.
Yeah, but you didn't have to do it bare footed and getting fondled by a big fat dude called bubba...or I'd hope you didn't have to

Good luck, it will be tight, so don't stop for a shit along the way