Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A Problem with British Expatriates

A Problem with British Expatriates

Old Jul 8th 2003, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

ctwickman is a jewel in the roughctwickman is a jewel in the roughctwickman is a jewel in the roughctwickman is a jewel in the rough
Default A Problem with British Expatriates

You know I see a real trend/problem on this forum among newcoming Brits. A lot of you tend to focus so much on the coasts that you miss the real America--what's all in the middle. Of course there are a few here that live in the Midwest and South, but there are too many here that think moving to California, Florida, or the Northeast is the way to go, when in fact if you would talk to almost any American they would not be caught dead living in these areas. They are the most polluted, congested, EXPENSIVE places to live in this country, and they offer very little, if anything, over other parts of the country. Most of the country is run by the same corporations and we all get the same television and primary services. Maybe it's just media attention that we Brit expats think that the only America that exists is that which exists in the movies. If you talk to people that have lived here their whole life, you will quickly realize that there are MAJOR differences in cost-of-living between places in America, and very little different in actual day-to-day life.

I was dismayed on this forum how few people have actually been to what most Americans consider to be 2nd to New York in culture and entertainment... that is, Chicago. How many here have actually been to places like Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Dallas, San Antonio, Charlotte, Denver, etc.? These are some of the best and most affordable places to live in this country, yet I see most people here talk only of California, Florida, or New York or Boston like that is all that exists. If you asked MOST Americans, however, they would usually respond that they would never consider moving/living in these places since they are so polluted/expensive/congested and they can have a much better lifestyle pretty much anywhere else in America. The cost of living between a place like San Francisco and Chicago is insanely different (Chicago being almost half the price), yet I would argue that Chicago is a much more culturally friendly, diverse, exciting, entertaining, laid back and friendly place to live. I spent my 4th of July weekend biking along the lakefront in Chicago and Milwaukee and was blown away. There are few cities in the world finer, ESPECIALLY when you take into account what type of lifestyle you can afford with your paycheck.

I have a feeling that a lot of expats have not travelled and gotten to know this country very extensively. I mean, anywhere here that complains that there are no corner pubs and walkable areas in America have obviously never been to places like Milwaukee, Chicago, or Cleveland.

Last edited by ctwickman; Jul 8th 2003 at 3:13 am.
Old Jul 8th 2003, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Of those cities you specifically mention I have been to San Antonio, Minneapolis, Chicago and Milwaukee. I have also been to Houston, Corpus Christi and all around that area. Also on my list are New Orleans, New York, up thru New England, Niagara Falls, Wisconsin, Memphis, San Francisco, Los Angeles, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, Las Vegas, Boston.

I would love to go to Charlotte, Savannah and all those southern cities. Alaska is on my list as is New Mexico.

The truth is we would love to live somewhere other than California. If a job opportunity came up in Colorado or Washington State we would be off tomorrow. The reality is we, as are many, are tied to where there is employment.

As for people moaning about there not being pubs on the corner, that is not what is important to us. Where we live there is not really anything major in the way of entertainment, but personally we are happy with suburbia. We love the nice weather and our comfortable life we have established.

Edited to add that we are totally not interested in living in the mid-west or the east coast because of the weather.
Old Jul 8th 2003, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

ctwickman is a jewel in the roughctwickman is a jewel in the roughctwickman is a jewel in the roughctwickman is a jewel in the rough

Just figured I'd post a few pictures we took of Chicago since I have a feeling many expats here have never been there (not sure why, since it is the 2nd most visited city in America among Americans). IMO Chicago is the most liveable and friendly big city in America, with pretty much anything one could ever hope for when it comes to anything related to food, entertainment, culture, etc. I just hope people here realize that there is A LOT more to America than East Coast / West Coast. The middle just happens to be cheaper, more laid back, and friendlier, and it would be hard to find people in disagreement that have spent a lot of time in both... That's not to say that the Coasts are not nice places to live, but they certainly aren't close to the ONLY places to live, since the fact is that by far most Americans choose to live in between them.

---

Last edited by ctwickman; Jul 8th 2003 at 3:55 am.
Old Jul 8th 2003, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Old Jul 8th 2003, 4:39 am
The Tooth Fairy

Default Re: A Problem with British Expatriates

Originally posted by ctwickman
You know I see a real trend/problem on this forum among newcoming Brits. A lot of you tend to focus so much on the coasts that you miss the real America--what's all in the middle. Of course there are a few here that live in the Midwest and South, but there are too many here that think moving to California, Florida, or the Northeast is the way to go, when in fact if you would talk to almost any American they would not be caught dead living in these areas. They are the most polluted, congested, EXPENSIVE places to live in this country, and they offer very little, if anything, over other parts of the country. Most of the country is run by the same corporations and we all get the same television and primary services. Maybe it's just media attention that we Brit expats think that the only America that exists is that which exists in the movies. If you talk to people that have lived here their whole life, you will quickly realize that there are MAJOR differences in cost-of-living between places in America, and very little different in actual day-to-day life.

I was dismayed on this forum how few people have actually been to what most Americans consider to be 2nd to New York in culture and entertainment... that is, Chicago. How many here have actually been to places like Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Dallas, San Antonio, Charlotte, Denver, etc.? These are some of the best and most affordable places to live in this country, yet I see most people here talk only of California, Florida, or New York or Boston like that is all that exists. If you asked MOST Americans, however, they would usually respond that they would never consider moving/living in these places since they are so polluted/expensive/congested and they can have a much better lifestyle pretty much anywhere else in America. The cost of living between a place like San Francisco and Chicago is insanely different (Chicago being almost half the price), yet I would argue that Chicago is a much more culturally friendly, diverse, exciting, entertaining, laid back and friendly place to live. I spent my 4th of July weekend biking along the lakefront in Chicago and Milwaukee and was blown away. There are few cities in the world finer, ESPECIALLY when you take into account what type of lifestyle you can afford with your paycheck.

I have a feeling that a lot of expats have not travelled and gotten to know this country very extensively. I mean, anywhere here that complains that there are no corner pubs and walkable areas in America have obviously never been to places like Milwaukee, Chicago, or Cleveland.
Some great places to visit in the Yankie bush too. Kentucky among my favorites.

Old Jul 8th 2003, 4:45 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Just figured I'd post a few pictures we took of Chicago since I have a feeling many expats here have never been there (not sure why, since it is the 2nd most visited city in America among Americans). IMO Chicago is the most liveable and friendly big city in America, with pretty much anything one could ever hope for when it comes to anything related to food, entertainment, culture, etc. I just hope people here realize that there is A LOT more to America than East Coast / West Coast. The middle just happens to be cheaper, more laid back, and friendlier, and it would be hard to find people in disagreement that have spent a lot of time in both... That's not to say that the Coasts are not nice places to live, but they certainly aren't close to the ONLY places to live, since the fact is that by far most Americans choose to live in between them.

---
Nice pics

I live here:

Last edited by lairdside; Jul 8th 2003 at 4:48 am.
Old Jul 8th 2003, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Lairdside, just wondering exactly where you live. Love the look of that lake.

Ctwickman, when I was in Chicago didn't quite look like that. It was October, and I don't think I have ever felt so cold. The wind just cut thru me. Agree there were lots of great restaurants and good nightlife. From what I can remember it was a very walkable city, which is always a positive. Nice to be able to get out and explore without taking a vehicle.
Old Jul 8th 2003, 5:18 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Vicky88
Lairdside, just wondering exactly where you live. Love the look of that lake.

Ctwickman, when I was in Chicago didn't quite look like that. It was October, and I don't think I have ever felt so cold. The wind just cut thru me. Agree there were lots of great restaurants and good nightlife. From what I can remember it was a very walkable city, which is always a positive. Nice to be able to get out and explore without taking a vehicle.
Incline Village, NV.

Not everyone's cup of tea that's for sure. Cold in the Wintertime (lots of Wintersports).

Quiet outside of holidaytimes, you do need a car unless you are feeling athletic although if you live "downtown" the shops, schools etc are walkable (I haven't tried it but I see lots of people doing it )

Not much nightlife, a few decent restaurants and that aspect of the lake is improving.
Old Jul 8th 2003, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

JayJay is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to agree with what you said, a couple of months ago we visited Texas, we landed in Houston which we hated, all the Traffic, crowding etc
Then we drove down to South Central Texas to visit some friends and it was like a different world. Beautiful countryside, small friendly towns, everything was at a much slower pace, also Property was a Fraction of the Price.
Old Jul 8th 2003, 12:37 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Where I live, quite little beach town close to Wilmington NC.
Attached Thumbnails A Problem with British Expatriates-atlantic2.jpg  
Old Jul 8th 2003, 12:48 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by lairdside
Incline Village, NV.

Not everyone's cup of tea that's for sure. Cold in the Wintertime (lots of Wintersports).

Quiet outside of holidaytimes, you do need a car unless you are feeling athletic although if you live "downtown" the shops, schools etc are walkable (I haven't tried it but I see lots of people doing it )

Not much nightlife, a few decent restaurants and that aspect of the lake is improving.
What you should have mentioned was that you're at 7,000 ft. above sea level, Laird
Old Jul 8th 2003, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

This is where I'll be living come sunday. This is Papago park which is a 5 minute cycle ride from the house.
Attached Thumbnails A Problem with British Expatriates-scottsdale.jpg  
Old Jul 8th 2003, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another
Attached Thumbnails A Problem with British Expatriates-scottsdale2.jpg  
Old Jul 8th 2003, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

And I never feel homesick, as this local company hires out double decker buses.

I'll also add, that I have a fairly good overall view of America having travelled to...
New York x5
San Francisco 10 plus times
Las Vegas x12
Chicago
Minnesota
Washington DC
Atlanta
Boston
New Orleans
Detroit
Dallas
Houston
L.A.
Seattle
Phoenix x6
Attached Thumbnails A Problem with British Expatriates-scottsdale3.jpg  
Old Jul 8th 2003, 1:50 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

<<snip>>

Some comments about your post-
You sing the praises about Chicago. You were there for a 4th July vacation. However, the winters in Chicago (so I've heard and read about) are remarkably severe with freezing temperatures that bring things to a halt. The winters are definitely not a reason that draws people to LIVE in Chicago.

Also, you really have no idea whereabout British expats have travelled or lived in the US. Many have probably experienced the cities and towns between the East & West coasts. Just because individuals don't namecheck or describe them is no indication that the expats are ignorant of such places.

Oh yes. I'm personally familiar with Cleveland, OH 'cos my in-laws live there. I've visited that city on numerous ocassions and let's say that in December, I could only walk around for 15 mins outdoors before the cold and wind brought tears to my eyes and I had to retreat indoors.

Let's be honest. The North East (MA, CT, NY, NJ for example), Chicago and Cleveland have severe winters. However, it truly doesn't take that much to realise that the weather aside, the other advantages of the North East outweigh cities like Chicago and Cleveland.

Americans themselves are leaving the expanse of the country between the coasts for bigger cities on either coast. The reason: jobs. So, what's the issue with British or other expats doing the same?

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.