Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

private health insurance - family of 5

private health insurance - family of 5

Old Sep 19th 2012, 2:54 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: private health insurance - family of 5

Originally Posted by pipm1979
The one solution we thought of is for me to get a job with insurance, but will they cover a family of 5? I'm a teacher here in the Uk, but teaching jobs don't seem to be aplenty over there, especially in Florida. I can get a job in a different field, just to get health coverage.
What visa is your wife getting? You may or may not be allowed to work, depending on what visa she's getting. For example, if she gets an H1B, you will get an H4 and will not be allowed to work in the USA at all. If she gets an L-1 visa, you would get an L-2 and you'd be allowed to obtain an Employment Authorization Document allowing you to work.

Rene
Old Sep 19th 2012, 2:58 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My husband had a kidney stone attack and went to the ER a couple of years ago. He stayed in ER a few hours and treatment included a scan, a laser thingy to break up the stone and some meds to help it pass and for pain. The bill was about $17,000. Fortunately we have good health insurance through the company I work for, and the out of pocket expense was only $100.

Rene
Old Sep 19th 2012, 3:02 am
Just Joined

pipm1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a lot to take in. Without giving all the specifics - the job comes with a monthly "cost of living" stipend in addition to the base wage. We would most definitely rent and a only looking to rent within 10 miles of the job location. We plan on having one car maybe two and have factored those costs into the equation.
My wife is from Florida and knows the score on that front, although she's been in Europe for over a decade now,so inevitably things will have changed.
We can find plans online for anywhere between $500 - 2000, but it makes your eyes water when you try to work them out. Because the kids won't need anything "basic" like immunisastions while we're there, we'd get good coverage for them and ourselves if possible.
We have no pre existing conditions that we know of (ie what an insurance company would consider a preexisting condition) and neither do the children, but can we be rejected care on other grounds?
Old Sep 19th 2012, 3:03 am
Just Joined

My wife is a USC. We've applied for a spouse visa.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 3:11 am
Just Joined

Rene,
What is "good health insurance"? That sounds really good, but do you have to pay something per month, like deducted from your monthly wage, or is it all covered by your company?

Can you reject some care,like the ridiculous numbers of scans, etc or would the insurance company not pay if you did that? Surely it's just to drive costs up!
Old Sep 19th 2012, 3:11 am

Excellent! You will be work authorized from Day 1 in the USA.

Rene
Old Sep 19th 2012, 3:14 am

Rene,
What is "good health insurance"? That sounds really good, but do you have to pay something per month, like deducted from your monthly wage, or is it all covered by your company?
Yes, the premium for me and my dependent husband is deducted from my income. It's about $350 a month. We pay $20 per doctor visit (in-network doctors), and about $10 - $20 for prescriptions. ER visits are $100 out of pocket.

Can you reject some care,like the ridiculous numbers of scans, etc or would the insurance company not pay if you did that? Surely it's just to drive costs up!
Yes, you have the right to refuse treatment.

Rene
Old Sep 19th 2012, 3:17 am
Just Joined

It is good - if there's a job!

We had actually envisaged me staying home with the children as we both share child care now and have no child care costs in the UK. However, my job could pay for child care AND insurance...but to be honest, I'd rather be home with the kids!
Old Sep 19th 2012, 3:36 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

You can reject certain scans and whatnot but if you have good insurance it really doesn't make a difference in the overall cost. You also may have to sign a waiver in turning down a scan which could affect your rights later to compensation should you be misdiagnosed.

For example, the cost to deliver our first son was $14,000. We paid $54. $25 for the first visit to the doctor, $25 to visit the hospital, and $4 for a night's worth of TV service in the room while we waited. So if we had turned down this scan or that, it really wouldn't have altered the final bill.

btw: you may want to see what your after tax income will be by using a paycheck calculator:

http://www.paycheckcity.com/calculat...alculator.html
Old Sep 19th 2012, 3:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought and think the NHS is poor and it is. Just looks hood compared yo the US.

The children are presumably USC's so might get State care?
Old Sep 19th 2012, 3:53 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Go to

www.ehealthinsurance.com

and type in your zip code and family details for a quote

Looks like for a family of 5 you will get a policy with a $2k deductible, 20% co-insurance and a $4k out of pocket annual max for $1000/month. So budget on $12k in premiums and at least $6k in out of pocket charges if something major happens. I'd set aside $20k of your annual budget for health costs. If you have any pre-existing conditions it will be more or even impossible to buy.

But I would not come to the US with a young family if I had to buy private health insurance, the risks are simply too high. I would only do it if the employer offered a good health plan.

Last edited by nun; Sep 19th 2012 at 3:57 am.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 3:56 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Has she got her UK citizenship before moving? or when you get ready to move back (if you do) you'll have to meet the new UK income guidelines and sponsor her.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 8:50 am
Just Joined

pre-existing conditions....any hints on what these would be? I'm absolutely fit and healthy with no medical history of anything. So are the kids. My wife's had three children, obviously, and some investigative stuff that all came back fine. How far back with the medical records will they need and will they accept NHS records?
Old Sep 19th 2012, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Millions of self-employed Americans are covered by private insurance. It's simply a different option and yes, it does cost more and is limited. I was self-employed for years under private insurance but I was young, healthy and single. When I needed my annuals, my GYN had a self pay schedule. Pretty much all doctors and clinics do...it won't break the bank.

That being said, for your situation with three kids, I'd be more conservative. Its too much exposure. Have your wife talk to the company's HR folk about buying full into the group plan. My husband's company is based in Florida and all consultants (meaning not staff) can buy into the group Blue Cross Blue Shield plan at full cost of what his company pays. His office has many UK expats and American who prefer the 1099 route. (IRS consultant- speak.)

Now kind of bigger picture questions...you do realize once you take status here, you are beholden to Uncle Sam as long as you remain with a green card. Why do all this for only one year? Bundle in the costs of an international move and lesser health care..it seems like a risky adventure!

As you'll no longer be resident in UK, I believe your NHS access lapses? And if your wife is not a citizen, she will be forced to start the process all over... I guess you've thought the ancillary impacts through...

My husband makes about double what he made in UK but I'll tell ya....financially we are about the same as when we lived in Aberdeen. Different things cost more, other things less. And we are in Houston, where housing is very reasonable compared to NYC, Boston, Seattle, San Fran or other cities in California. After Federal and property taxes...and for Florida, there is no state income tax but as a contractor, will your wife be incorporating herself to avoid liability? Then she does pay state taxes. And she has to pay the full whack for Social Security and FICA taxes. Add in health insurance payments.... Add it all up and it's close to 50% taxes...about what we pay in the UK but that includes full access to NHS. It's a wash - with risks.

I've rambled but just some bigger picture thoughts.

Now, I understand some places like Starbucks and Barnes and Noble offer healthcare for part times. I'm skeptical you'll find something in your field quickly and for only short term.

Good luck....
Old Sep 19th 2012, 9:15 am
Just Joined

That's all very helpful and helps us think long and hard about the move...
So the next question would be whether the wage really would mean a change in standards...
What would be an average wage, a good wage and a very good wage in the S FL region? What would you need as a minimum for comfortable living including healthcare?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.