Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Prison Officer looking to join Prison/Corrections in the US

Prison Officer looking to join Prison/Corrections in the US

Old Mar 8th 2013, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

TopDog1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Prison Officer looking to join Prison/Corrections in the US

Hi there I was wondering if anyone could give me advice?

I currently work for the Scottish Prison Service, a role that i thoroughly enjoy, however I am hoping at some point in the future to relocate to the United States and work within the Prison Service there.

Does anyone know how I would go about this? Or if there are available opportunities to apply through a form of exchange programme?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Mar 8th 2013, 11:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prison Officer looking to join Prison/Corrections in the US

What is your visa eligibility? If you have not done so already, please go take a look at the two "Pulaski" documents in the Wikis, USA section for guidance on the available visa classes.

If you are not eligible for a visa in your own right, e.g. because you have family member who is a US citizen, it is extremely unlikley you'll be able to get a visa to work as a prison officer.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 8th 2013 at 11:28 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 11:26 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...Prison+citizen

The USA is incredibly difficult to move to. You have the additional problem of wanting to work in a role that it is highly likely you need to be a US citizen for. The thread above should answer a lot of your questions.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 11:43 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

OP is also interested in Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 1:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Bit like the teacher thread, unless you've got other means of moving to the US, such as being a US citizen or married to one, then it's very unlikely that this job will land you a visa. Perhaps if you were running a prison you'd have a better shake at it.

Good luck with where ever though
Old Mar 9th 2013, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

LinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
Bit like the teacher thread, unless you've got other means of moving to the US, such as being a US citizen or married to one, then it's very unlikely that this job will land you a visa. Perhaps if you were running a prison you'd have a better shake at it.

Good luck with where ever though
I'd say that a teacher has a better shot than a Prison Officer. There are teachers from the UK landing visas for teaching positions, whereas I imagine the number of Prison Officers from the UK landing prison positions is near non-existent.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 2:22 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LinkTen
I'd say that a teacher has a better shot than a Prison Officer. There are teachers from the UK landing visas for teaching positions, whereas I imagine the number of Prison Officers from the UK landing prison positions is near non-existent.
In universities, sure. In public schools, no chance. Even in private schools, not likely, without a load of experience.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopDog1979
I am hoping at some point in the future to relocate to the United States and work within the Prison Service there.
If you're 36 or over, you can't get a job with the US federal prison system (except as a private contractor)... that's their cut off date. You might be able to get a job with a state prison... but I wouldn't want to work in one - and I did work (under contract) for 2.5 years in a US federal prison.

Ian
Old Mar 9th 2013, 5:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If you're 36 or over, you can't get a job with the US federal prison system (except as a private contractor)... that's their cut off date. You might be able to get a job with a state prison... but I wouldn't want to work in one - and I did work (under contract) for 2.5 years in a US federal prison.

Ian
Interesting, you would have thought it would be illegal.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

dpi363 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there I was wondering if anyone could give me advice?

I currently work for the Scottish Prison Service, a role that i thoroughly enjoy, however I am hoping at some point in the future to relocate to the United States and work within the Prison Service there.

Does anyone know how I would go about this? Or if there are available opportunities to apply through a form of exchange programme?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I'm a Correctional Officer and actually you can work in the U.S. Texas is needing guards and are getting them from Nigeria. So you should be able to get in just like them!

Now I'd like to work in the U.K. and wouldn't mind working in the prison system there. Is there a way for me to achieve this goal?
Old Sep 27th 2013, 2:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dpi363
I'm a Correctional Officer and actually you can work in the U.S. Texas is needing guards and are getting them from Nigeria. So you should be able to get in just like them!

Now I'd like to work in the U.K. and wouldn't mind working in the prison system there. Is there a way for me to achieve this goal?
This isn't the best forum to ask, but you could try uk-yankee.com. That said, the visa rules for the UK are similar in scope and effect to those to get into the US, ..... what sort of visa do you qualify for?
Old Sep 27th 2013, 4:20 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bop.gov/jobs/job_descript...al_officer.jsp

Regards, JEff
Old Sep 30th 2013, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

judesM is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe the age restrictions in corrections may be related to the rigorous physical training tests that have to be passed to enter the job.