Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Previous bank accounts being closed, cannot re-open as non-permanent resident

Previous bank accounts being closed, cannot re-open as non-permanent resident

Old Aug 26th 2013, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

ISO9002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Previous bank accounts being closed, cannot re-open as non-permanent resident

Recently I found out my bank accounts that i have been using for the past 11 years had been closed by the banks. My money has all been deducted by monthly fees down to completely empty. Then, they closed my bank accounts.

Now, I tried to reopen them and they said I won't be able to...as I am not a permanent resident.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 6:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Previous bank accounts being closed, cannot re-open as non-permanent resident

Originally Posted by ISO9002
Recently I found out my bank accounts that i have been using for the past 11 years had been closed by the banks. My money has all been deducted by monthly fees down to completely empty. Then, they closed my bank accounts.

Now, I tried to reopen them and they said I won't be able to...as I am not a permanent resident.
Try a different bank.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 6:33 am
Just Joined

Londonswan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Previous bank accounts being closed, cannot re-open as non-permanent resident

Similar thing happened to me with Bank of America. They closed my account and I had to reopen it using a US address. Didn't need to be permanent resident though.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Agree, BOA were pretty helpful to us when we had just moved here on a visa and had no SSNs.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 2:36 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Are you saying the bank account you used for 11 years in the USA is now closed, or your bank account in the UK that you used for 11 years is now closed?
Old Sep 19th 2013, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

I had an account in a small local bank with less than $100 in it and did not use it for a good while.
They then hit me with "dormant account fees" I do not remember how much but basically would have depleted the account in a couple of months.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 12:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Are you saying the bank account you used for 11 years in the USA is now closed, or your bank account in the UK that you used for 11 years is now closed?
The former; I have never heard any refer to being a "permanent resident" in the UK.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 1:24 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The former; I have never heard any refer to being a "permanent resident" in the UK.
Actually there are loads of permanent residents in the UK. Any EU/EEA citizen can get UK permanent residence after 5 years. And ILR, acquired after 5 years on a spouse visa, is often referred to colloquially as permanent residence.

However, I do agree that the OP undoubtedly meant a US bank account.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Actually there are loads of permanent residents in the UK. Any EU/EEA citizen can get UK permanent residence after 5 years. And ILR, acquired after 5 years on a spouse visa, is often referred to colloquially as permanent residence.... .
Right, but there's no PR card for immigrants to the UK, and the equivalent status to US PR is "indefinite leave to remain", consequently, on this forum, at least, "permanent resident" is strongly suggestive of being in the US.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 1:49 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Right, but there's no PR card for immigrants to the UK, and the equivalent status to US PR is "indefinite leave to remain", consequently, on this forum, at least, "permanent resident" is strongly suggestive of being in the US.
Agreed, but I don't see anyone talking about a card? PR in the UK is usually a vignette.

I think the question was simply which country was the closed bank account of the non-permanent resident located in. The mention of 'permanent residence' does not really answer that question, as lots of countries have some form of it.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

CaliExPatCT is a jewel in the roughCaliExPatCT is a jewel in the roughCaliExPatCT is a jewel in the roughCaliExPatCT is a jewel in the roughCaliExPatCT is a jewel in the rough

I own a house in the UK and was told if I wish to sell and transfer the cash to the USA I have to reside in the UK for 6 months before they would transfer the money to me.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 6:32 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Who are "they"
Old Sep 19th 2013, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by CaliExPatCT
I own a house in the UK and was told if I wish to sell and transfer the cash to the USA I have to reside in the UK for 6 months before they would transfer the money to me.
That is bank policy, not a legal or regulatory requirement. I wonder how they would respond to a demand from a solicitor to release funds, or to a court order? :confused

BTW I assume that by "cash" you mean "funds", not literally a parcel of pound notes or dollar bills?

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 19th 2013 at 6:35 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 10:55 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I also thought it was a USA question but since we've seen a number of "how to reopen a UK bank account since I'm not a resident" questions as well I wasn't sure.

If a USA account, just switch banks. Find another. There are many, and the stuff about not a permanent resident is probably a teller who doesn't know the rules or a silly bank with a silly policy.

If a UK account, quite a bit more tricky actually. With "know your customer" policies some high street banks simply won't open an account without proper proof. Some folks have taken up accounts in Jersey and the like, while others, such as HSBC Premier customers, have been successful in opening HSBC Premier accounts in the UK with their US bank managers 'vouching' for them (I just did this).
Old Sep 19th 2013, 10:55 pm

I also thought it was a USA question but since we've seen a number of "how to reopen a UK bank account since I'm not a resident" questions as well I wasn't sure.

If a USA account, just switch banks. Find another. There are many, and the stuff about not a permanent resident is probably a teller who doesn't know the rules or a silly bank with a silly policy.

If a UK account, quite a bit more tricky actually. With "know your customer" policies some high street banks simply won't open an account without proper proof. Some folks have taken up accounts in Jersey and the like, while others, such as HSBC Premier customers, have been successful in opening HSBC Premier accounts in the UK with their US bank managers 'vouching' for them (I just did this).