Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Preparing for Winter

Preparing for Winter

Old Nov 2nd 2004, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Preparing for Winter

Some people here in Chicago have been asking if I've already been through a Chicago Winter or not, when I reply with "No not yet", they chuckle to themselves!

So I've begun to think that I'm not prepared for how bad it's going to be.

I'm from Sussex (don't laugh you Northeners), so it's been a while since I've had a bad Winter, I think the last one was in '87, but I hardly remember it.

So my question is what should I be buying to help me see the Winter through unscathed, particularly when it comes to driving?

Many thanks,
-tom
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 9:49 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Preparing for Winter

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Some people here in Chicago have been asking if I've already been through a Chicago Winter or not, when I reply with "No not yet", they chuckle to themselves!

So I've begun to think that I'm not prepared for how bad it's going to be.

I'm from Sussex (don't laugh you Northeners), so it's been a while since I've had a bad Winter, I think the last one was in '87, but I hardly remember it.

So my question is what should I be buying to help me see the Winter through unscathed, particularly when it comes to driving?

Many thanks,
-tom
how do you mean? do they not plow the roads?

it's ****ing cold mate.
cold and no mistake.

but you get by, I don't do much different. drive a tad slower but that's it.
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
how do you mean? do they not plow the roads?

it's ****ing cold mate.
cold and no mistake.

but you get by, I don't do much different. drive a tad slower but that's it.
Well people here are talking about digging out their cars in the morning. I wanted to know if there was anything I need that I wouldn't normally buy in the UK.

I'm sure they plough the roads around the apartment complex I live in, at least I hope they do.

-tom
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 9:58 pm
warksgirl

So my question is what should I be buying to help me see the Winter
A very good, heavy winter coat. A good hat that will cover your ears and not blow off. Very heavy insulated mittens (mittens are better than gloves; your fingers will keep each other warm.) A scarf to make sure that your neck is not exposed. Insulated, water-proof boots.

It gets very cold here. There is something called wind chill, which means that the wind is so cold that it makes feel colder than what the temperature actually is; this can go to -20 F or more. It's hard to explain what that kind of cold is. It's different to the damp cold of England.

For the car: A good, sturdy ice scraper. If it's been a cold night, in addition to clearing snow off of your car (if it's not garaged) it's likely that you'll have a thick "crust" of ice to chip off of your car. My recommendation is to start your car a good 15 minutes or more before you actually need to leave in order to assure it's properly warmed up. The warmed up car will also help the encrusted ice to come off more easily.

Put on snow tires.

Make sure you keep petrol in your car. And you will need a shovel, or better yet, a snowblower. If your car is parked in the street and is not moved for snow removal, the plows will just plow around your car and it could be almostly completely buried. No, I'm not joking!

Old Nov 2nd 2004, 10:03 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

snow isn't the problem, it's the freezing rain that's the ballache
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by warksgirl
For the car: A good, sturdy ice scraper. If it's been a cold night, in addition to clearing snow off of your car (if it's not garaged) it's likely that you'll have a thick "crust" of ice to chip off of your car. My recommendation is to start your car a good 15 minutes or more before you actually need to leave in order to assure it's properly warmed up. The warmed up car will also help the encrusted ice to come off more easily.

Put on snow tires.

Make sure you keep petrol in your car. And you will need a shovel, or better yet, a snowblower. If your car is parked in the street and is not moved for snow removal, the plows will just plow around your car and it could be almostly completely buried. No, I'm not joking!
Luckily I have a remote starter in my car so I can start the car from my living room

I hadn't considered that the plough might just push the snow into/onto the cars, the cars are parked on one side of the road where I live, but I'm sure they would plough the snow onto the pathway opposite.....??

-tom
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 10:09 pm
warksgirl

It depends where you live. Certain suburbs have designated dates for snow plowing... It's best to check with your municipality for that sort of thing. Or ask your neighbours what goes on.

I'm not sure what they do downtown...

Good on you with your remote starter; I have a husband to my motor started

Old Nov 2nd 2004, 10:09 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Luckily I have a remote starter in my car so I can start the car from my living room

I hadn't considered that the plough might just push the snow into/onto the cars, the cars are parked on one side of the road where I live, but I'm sure they would plough the snow onto the pathway opposite.....??

-tom
where we live they alternate the nights on which side of the road you can park your cars on. So odd dates they make you park your car on one side of the road and plough the other. and on even dates it's the opposite.
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 10:26 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I made the mistake of visiting friends in chicago in feb this year...

coldest i've EVER been in my life

Find a coat that looks warm to you and DON'T buy it... get the one that is twice as thick

I suppose i'm just a southern softie
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 10:28 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

My only advice is to buy thermal undies and wear lots of layers. I spent a small fortune at the weekend getting myself togged up for winter. We have a no cars parked on the road at all ban from Nov 1st and they're always pretty quick with the snow clearing here in MA. Mr Sibsie also makes me keep matches in the car and a blanket. Not only can I stay warm whilst lighting my smokey pops, but apparently the matches can stop you freezing to death.

I'm so not looking forward to winter.
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 10:30 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I made the mistake of visiting friends in chicago in feb this year...

coldest i've EVER been in my life

Find a coat that looks warm to you and DON'T buy it... get the one that is twice as thick

I suppose i'm just a southern softie
Last winter wasn't that bad by Chicago standards. Really.
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 10:31 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Last winter wasn't that bad by Chicago standards. Really.
do you guys get lake effect snow? or do that just hit us poor bastards on the East side of the lake?
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 10:32 pm
warksgirl

Yes. You do get lake effect snow here.

Old Nov 2nd 2004, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Luckily I have a remote starter in my car so I can start the car from my living room ..... but you still have to shovel some of the snow off first ... plus cars dont start when the gas (petrol) is frozen !

Weeeeeee lake effect here we come .... 21ft of the stuff last year yeeehawwww !!!
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 10:39 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
do you guys get lake effect snow? or do that just hit us poor bastards on the East side of the lake?
We do but not like you lot. The prevailing winds come from the west, so they blow over the lake, pick up the moisture and hey presto.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.