Reload this Page >

Preconceptions

Preconceptions

Old Feb 11th 2005, 12:35 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Preconceptions

Originally Posted by franc111s

Houses are so cheap here and HUGE for the money but then that's because they don't have to be built to withstand 6 months of rain Seriously, house prices here (unless in the city) hardly go up in value.

A.

Where do you live ? not LA ! - our house doubled in value from 2000 to 2004 and has risen by 80k in the last 8 months. Its totally out of control - we are really lucky as we have a subsidised relocation mortage at 0% from my company but I have no idea how people afford to buy here. We have made 3 job offers to people from the midwest this year with salaries all above 120k and not one of them said they could move here due to house prices.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 12:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
... We have made 3 job offers to people from the midwest this year with salaries all above 120k and not one of them said they could move here due to house prices.
****...i'll move out there and live out the boot of our car for a salary like that *lol*
Old Feb 11th 2005, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
The view that Americans are openminded and tolerant. In general, if you look at the media, FCC and prominent citizen groups, I'd say most Americans are not openminded.

NC Penguin
Couldn't agree more on that one... down to my own experiences, trying to have a discussion with anyone about politics, or any serious matter where you have your own opinion, I've been shot down in flames more time than I care to remember, with the attitude of "it's my (our) way or the highway".

Narrowmindedness of people still shocks me every day - as does the general ignorance to anything that goes on outside the USA (although I was greatly surprised today at the huge interest of everyone in my office about Prince Charles' upcoming nuptials!)

The emphasis on religion, I was totally unprepared for - even knowing I was coming to the bible belt - nothing could have prepared me for that.. In fact a friend of mine who has 2 kids under 10 and I had a little "incident" last week when I was babysitting her kids and her 6 year old son asked me what "gay" meant. I told him that was something he needed to ask his mum about - which he promptly did the second she walked through the door. She sat him down and went into great detail about Jesus and the bible and how he had to understand that gay people were pure evil and would burn in hell. :scared: Of course, against better judgement, I couldn't keep my mouth shut and a war of words ensued!

Next one - racial issues. OK, I know this is the South, but the intolerance and use of derogatory words to describe black people is a bone of contention for me with many of my collegues and some friends. They tell me I just don't understand, and they are right, I never will.

Food. Sucks. Blech. (Bread being top of the list) Call a bloody biscuit a biscuit will you people!

On a positive note - I think the "dream" exists to a certain level. Just depends what your dream was. I definitely enjoy a better lifestyle here, as in weather, the location of where I live and the facilities on my doorstep, but I work a hell of a lot harder, and many more hours in exchange, all in all - I feel (most days) the trade off is worth it.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 1:40 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=DebraJulia]
Originally Posted by Bob
Errr...surprised at cost of some of the food and how different it can be, like bread, and the use of corn syrup in everything...QUOTE]

Corn syrup Bob, around here its cheese .. wots with the cheese on everything??? lol
Please give examples about the cheese on everything.

For me, I wasn't prepared about the number of sodas/fizzy drinks that Americans consume. Correction, I think Southerners consume far more sodas than Northerners, possibly because of the "free" refills offered everywhere.

I'm one of very few in my office who hardly drinks sodas at work. Never drank them regularly and have no interest in drinking more. I certainly don't like drinking soda with meals but I usually have to when I go out to eat (unless it's an ethnic restaurant where I have additional choices of beverage).

NC Penguin
Old Feb 11th 2005, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FIRSTIMER
Did you have any preconceived ideas about America, that you have since been unfounded - for Good or Bad? e.g quality of life, community relations, Taxes, Health etc
Is there really any thing like the American dream? Hah!

Almost forgot... the men, they were the biggest disappointment of all. Hee hee.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lesley1020
Almost forgot... the men, they were the biggest disappointment of all. Hee hee.

Yep, we aim to please