Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pre-school and fees

Pre-school and fees

Old Aug 4th 2008, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pre-school and fees

Does anyone else have to pay for pre-school here? Here in Virginia you have to pay and go private ... my son just turned four and he really needs to get into pre-school as he is driving me nuts in the house all day and he needs the experience before doing full days at kindergarden next year. It seems that the churches are the main ones here running the pre-schools and I had a heart attack at the cost. It is going to mean cutting back on a lot of things to pay the monthly fees ... no trip next year to England how much are other people paying? The cheapest I could find was $225 month.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 2:22 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pre-school and fees

Originally Posted by JULIEROSE
Does anyone else have to pay for pre-school here? Here in Virginia you have to pay and go private ... my son just turned four and he really needs to get into pre-school as he is driving me nuts in the house all day and he needs the experience before doing full days at kindergarden next year. It seems that the churches are the main ones here running the pre-schools and I had a heart attack at the cost. It is going to mean cutting back on a lot of things to pay the monthly fees ... no trip next year to England how much are other people paying? The cheapest I could find was $225 month.
I seem to remember that 4 years ago we were paying ~$550 per month (per child, with twins!) for a good local Montessori pre-school here in Dallas, and that was for ~3.5hrs per day. Personal preference means that I wouldn't send my kids to a church pre-school. I highly recommend Montessori schools, assuming you can find a really good one.

It's certainly expensive. I don't think I'd pick the cheapest option when choosing a school for my kids - we would rather have kept them home if we couldn't afford somewhere that felt really friendly and positive, with great teaching.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I seem to remember that 4 years ago we were paying ~$550 per month (per child, with twins!) for a good local Montessori pre-school here in Dallas, and that was for ~3.5hrs per day. Personal preference means that I wouldn't send my kids to a church pre-school. I highly recommend Montessori schools, assuming you can find a really good one.

It's certainly expensive. I don't think I'd pick the cheapest option when choosing a school for my kids - we would rather have kept them home if we couldn't afford somewhere that felt really friendly and positive, with great teaching.
$550 a month - there is no way I could afford that right now. you are right it is expensive! I have my two year to think of next year ... at least my son will be in kindergarden by then. I'm trying to balance what I can afford with a decent school.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

We did a co-op preschool when our daughter was 3 - that was extremely cheap - but it was only 2 mornings a week and I had to volunteer. The following year we wanted something more academic so we chose a Montessori. It was expensive ($350 a month) but certainly worth the cost.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 3:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

going rate around here for daycare/pre-school, $1500 part time a month...so yeah, not happening

Up in Maine, it's between $200-400 full time a month.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
going rate around here for daycare/pre-school, $1500 part time a month...so yeah, not happening

Geeze Bob, where do you live?
Old Aug 4th 2008, 4:26 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I think our public schools offer a pre-K (4 year old) thing. No real cost, just the standard school registration fee ($100 or so).

We're looking at a 3 year old pre-school at a preppy private school nearby that's something like $1,500 a month or so (I'm not sure, I think it's half day). We were thinking of sending him there just so he could meet some other kids.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Bob;6644597]going rate around here for daycare/pre-school, $1500 part time a month...so yeah, not happening

which, is why I choose to stay at home with my two. that would be $3k a month in daycare for me right now ... what is the point of working if you need to fork out that kinda cash!

Well after reading some of the other fees some of you are quoting my few pre-school mornings two/three times a week for between $200-$300 a month is starting to look very cheap!
Old Aug 4th 2008, 5:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa

Geeze Bob, where do you live?
burbs of beantown...it's crazy expensive.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 5:23 pm
Account Closed

Elliott is an unknown quantity at this point

We are just about to start paying about $160 a month for two 3 hour mornings a week at nearby church.
I had to stand outside the church at 6am in line to register at 7am and i was out the door at 8.30am. So it seems that good pre schools are in demand.
We have had to complete a tone of paperwork and have received all the rules etc etc and right at last minute they hit us with a pretty long list of supplies we have to buy Pretty damn sneaky if you ask me
Old Aug 4th 2008, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Elliott
We are just about to start paying about $160 a month for two 3 hour mornings a week at nearby church.
I had to stand outside the church at 6am in line to register at 7am and i was out the door at 8.30am. So it seems that good pre schools are in demand.
We have had to complete a tone of paperwork and have received all the rules etc etc and right at last minute they hit us with a pretty long list of supplies we have to buy Pretty damn sneaky if you ask me
Hopefully, you got those supplies during the tax free weekend! $160 is very reasonable so, consider yourself lucky.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 5:33 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

My little girl goes to full-time preschool (we both work), and it costs $760 per month. For part time preschool, a lot of community centers offer programs, and there are also preschool co-ops. My city (Seattle) doesn't offer any free/cheap preschool programs unless you are low-income. Some cities/states do offer free or cheaper programs though, just depends where you live.
Naomi.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 6:16 pm
Account Closed

Elliott is an unknown quantity at this point

Hopefully, you got those supplies during the tax free weekend! $160 is very reasonable so, consider yourself lucky.
Actually i was wrong we are going be paying $130 a month for 2 mornings sessions of 2 1/2 hours each.

We started out looking for a Montessori school but there were none around.

My wife has worked at a day care center here and as a result of that our kids go to day care over her dead body.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 6:39 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i looked at one this morning. will be $190 a month for 3 mornings a week. Regio system inspired so pleased about that. Was in a church but I liked the manager who showed me around and the facilities were nice. Think my 4 year old will be very happy there.

before we left the UK and I was still working full time - my 2 kids in full time nursery care cost me 1700quid a month!
Old Aug 4th 2008, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by naomi
My little girl goes to full-time preschool (we both work), and it costs $760 per month. For part time preschool, a lot of community centers offer programs, and there are also preschool co-ops. My city (Seattle) doesn't offer any free/cheap preschool programs unless you are low-income. Some cities/states do offer free or cheaper programs though, just depends where you live.
Naomi.
You'll probably be able to claim the child care tax credit so it will only cost you about 2/3 that amount.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.