Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pre Nup Questions

Pre Nup Questions

Old Mar 3rd 2011, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

therockSO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pre Nup Questions

My British S/O of 10+ years and I will be getting married in April. I would like to put a pre nup in place. Any suggestions on things that are an absolute MUST to include considering the immigration aspect? My immigration attorney has told me to see a family law attorney, but I am concerned that a family law attorney may not understand the immigration protocol.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 11:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pre Nup Questions

Originally Posted by therockSO
My British S/O of 10+ years and I will be getting married in April. I would like to put a pre nup in place. Any suggestions on things that are an absolute MUST to include considering the immigration aspect? My immigration attorney has told me to see a family law attorney, but I am concerned that a family law attorney may not understand the immigration protocol.
I suggest going ahead with the family law attorney, and bring him a copy of the I-864 form and instructions. Tell him this is the Affidavit of Support that the USC is required to complete for an immigrant. Let the attorney figure out how the I-864 comes into play regarding a pre nup. That's the only immigration document that would relate to anything financial.

Rene
Old Mar 4th 2011, 12:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Speak to a family lawyer...prenups all depend on the state, some don't allow them and some limit what can be in them.

Immigration won't have much baring, except how the financial sponsor bit might come into play.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that when you speak to a family lawyer, your SO should also be speaking to a different family lawyer.

We considered a pre-nup before our wedding and in the end decided we actually trusted each other to be equitable enough not to need to shell out for two NYC (where we were living at the time) lawyers. $thousands!
Old Mar 4th 2011, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Don't forget that when you speak to a family lawyer, your SO should also be speaking to a different family lawyer.
That is a very important point (and one which your attorney should explain to you).

In California, at least, a pre-nuptial agreement is essentially unenforceable unless both parties were represented by separate attorneys in order to avoid any conflict of interests.