Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Potholes everywhere

Potholes everywhere

Old Feb 8th 2004, 12:11 am
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough
Default Potholes everywhere

Don't want to sound petty but now that the snow/ice is melting I am begining to see potholes all over the roads.

What's up with the roads? I didnt know too much snow/ice is bad for the roads. Or is it the gritters and the salt?

Does this happen in other states on its only in the midwest?
Old Feb 8th 2004, 12:14 am
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all
Default Re: Potholes everywhere

Originally posted by Gross50
Don't want to sound petty but now that the snow/ice is melting I am begining to see potholes all over the roads.

What's up with the roads? I didnt know too much snow/ice is bad for the roads. Or is it the gritters and the salt?

They are but dimples compared with the highways around here.
Old Feb 8th 2004, 12:29 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

It's hard to find the road for the potholes around here!

It's the weather - heat and ice/snow cause the tarmac, (or whatever passes for it here) to expand and contract making the roads a complete mess!

I've never come across so many potholes before.
Old Feb 8th 2004, 12:33 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the potholes we have to deal with here, it's the cracks from the tremors.
Old Feb 8th 2004, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

When I lived in New York we called them "tank traps." Had one take the wheel off my car.
Attached Thumbnails Potholes everywhere-pothole.jpg  
Old Feb 8th 2004, 1:52 am
JeanDupont

That one was really big enough to avoid - have you considered getting your eyes tested?

Only time I had ever had a wheel taken off my car it was some local punk. And he got all 4.

Old Feb 8th 2004, 2:06 am
Franklin

Originally posted by edwords
When I lived in New York we called them "tank traps." Had one take the wheel off my car.
Now - that's a real pot hole! By gum! :scared:

I suppose it was caused by flowing water - not by freeze/thaw action(s).

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Feb 8th 2004 at 2:36 am.

Old Feb 8th 2004, 3:42 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

What about just a plain old Florida sinkhole
Attached Thumbnails Potholes everywhere-sinkhol3.gif  
Old Feb 8th 2004, 10:05 am
JeanDupont

We were recently looking at homes in Fl and saw a sinkhole very similar to this photo - and were informed that many of them are from where builders have bulldozed a collection of stumps etc into the ground before the homes were built - stumps then rot over 10 years or more and ground subsides - others of course are true geographic anomalies.

Old Feb 8th 2004, 1:31 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I think the roads of New York/New Jersey are in shit order all year round, never mind just after winter. I think it boils down to lack of investment pure and simple.
Old Feb 8th 2004, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

They blame too much sun here for all the potholes- when we lived in PA they blamed the winters...whatever.
Old Feb 8th 2004, 10:43 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Um, have you been in the US long? I think the roads in the US are notorious for developing potholes during severe weather, be it in the winter or in the summer.

On one trip to New York in June 97, I remember being slightly surprised that a section of road in midtown Manhattan had melted due to the heat. The tarmac had softened up and had caused the road surface to sink. However, despite being only the last week of June the temperature was over 100F in the daytime.

Now I live in Durham, NC and whenever there is heavy rain like last week (2" in a 6-8 hour period), the day afterwards, there's big and deep potholes popping up like daisies on many, many roads...
Old Feb 9th 2004, 2:35 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Taffyles
They blame too much sun here for all the potholes- when we lived in PA they blamed the winters...whatever.
I blame that the contractors / local councils /cities don't know how to build roads that will last any longer then 3 years tops.

They don't grade properly under the asphalt and the asphalt they do use isn't as thick as it should be.

The autobahn surface in Germany is over twice as thick as the typical interstate road surface.

0.72 deaths per 100 million miles driven on German Autobahns with unlimited speeds (but a lot more rigorous lane discipline)

0.94 deaths per 100 million miles driven on US interstates.

draw your own conclusions.

source - Modern Marvels, History Channel programme from last week.