Reload this Page >

Potential relication from UK to Charleston SC...monthly living costs

Potential relication from UK to Charleston SC...monthly living costs

Old Jun 11th 2015, 10:50 am
Just Joined

popsaloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potential relication from UK to Charleston SC...monthly living costs

Hi,
My husband has the opportunity to work in Charleston, salary £45k / $69k, but before we go any further we need to explore whether it's financially viable. My husband and I are in our early 30s with 2 toddlers. He gets medical insurance from his employer and we are looking at the Summerville area. I will stay at home with the kids.
My Q is what monthly outgoings should we take into account, ie; fuel, utilities, insurance etc....everything and if possible a rough cost.

Thanks
Old Jun 11th 2015, 12:07 pm
Trash Eatin' Duck

English88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential relication from UK to Charleston SC...monthly living costs

I remember when I first started looking into moving to the US and had a similar question but when it comes down to it, it's impossible to give an estimate as there are so many variables.

Is medical insurance completely cost free? I've heard of it happening on here but it's not the norm. Usually you have co-pays (amount you pay per doctor visit/prescription etc), deductibles (like an excess with car insurance - you have to pay up to this amount per year before coverage pays for anything) etc.

Are your renting or buying? House or apartment?

I'm currently in South Florida so it's going to differ for you but I pay:
$1500 a month for apartment (2 bedroom on the water- you can easily get cheaper)
$300 a month for car lease
$175 a month for car insurance (expensive where I am plus I have very little US driving history)
$300ish for groceries
$100 a month towards my healthcare premium (doesn't include co-pays etc)
$50 a month on cable/internet
$120ish a month on electricity but varies
$80ish a month on fuel but I live very close to my work. That said, fuel is VERY cheap here compared to England but you will probably need to do a lot more driving depending on where you live.

I don't pay water at my apartment but some will require you to. Hope this gives you a rough idea but Charleston will be different. Hell, other people in South FL will pay totally different costs - it just depends on lifestyle, where you're living etc etc

Last edited by English88; Jun 11th 2015 at 12:08 pm. Reason: Edit: Also I should mention that I don't have kids, it's just my wife and I and we're in our mid twenties.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 1:36 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential relication from UK to Charleston SC...monthly living costs

Originally Posted by English88
$175 a month for car insurance (expensive where I am plus I have very little US driving history)
Blimey. That's an insane amount. Is that over 12 months? To put this in context, in MA I pay just over $800, and that includes an uplift of $175 for an accident I was at fault for (groan) my first year here. I've been here just over 2 years now.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 1:38 pm
Trash Eatin' Duck

English88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Blimey. That's an insane amount. Is that over 12 months? To put this in context, in MA I pay just over $800, and that includes an uplift of $175 for an accident I was at fault for (groan) my first year here. I've been here just over 2 years now.
It's for 6 months (it's actually going down to $150 next month wooohooo!). It was going to be even MORE but I went on a policy with my wife that covers both of our cars and then we split it so it's costing us $350 (soon to be $300) a month for both of our cars. South Florida is a joke
Old Jun 11th 2015, 1:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by English88
I remember when I first started looking into moving to the US and had a similar question but when it comes down to it, it's impossible to give an estimate as there are so many variables.

Is medical insurance completely cost free? I've heard of it happening on here but it's not the norm. Usually you have co-pays (amount you pay per doctor visit/prescription etc), deductibles (like an excess with car insurance - you have to pay up to this amount per year before coverage pays for anything) etc.

Are your renting or buying? House or apartment?

I'm currently in South Florida so it's going to differ for you but I pay:
$1500 a month for apartment (2 bedroom on the water- you can easily get cheaper)
$300 a month for car lease
$300ish for groceries
$100 a month towards my healthcare premium (doesn't include co-pays etc)
$50 a month on cable/internet
$120ish a month on electricity but varies
$80ish a month on fuel but I live very close to my work. That said, fuel is VERY cheap here compared to England but you will probably need to do a lot more driving depending on where you live.

I don't pay water at my apartment but some will require you to. Hope this gives you a rough idea but Charleston will be different. Hell, other people in South FL will pay totally different costs - it just depends on lifestyle, where you're living etc etc
I would say this is a good starting point, except that in SC you should be able to get an average house in the 'Burbs for $1,500. I would say that the electricity bill will likely run $200/mth June - September and probably $150 for May and October because of the AC, and if you're at home with children and depending on your tolerance of heat and humidity, could easily be $50-$100/ more. ..... Rental AC units are not going to be the highest efficiency units.

Cell phone service is expensive, and you should budget $100/mth for a contract, less if you go PAYG.

With a family, you will need two vehicles, unless your husband can make his with work without a car, or you chauffeur him to work and bring him home.

$50 for cable seems low, it would only get a very basic package, I believe. I would budget $100 for cable and internet access for the first twelve months - it might go up $30-$50/mth after twelve months unless you negotiate hard and/or feign the intention to terminate the service.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 11th 2015 at 1:54 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 1:43 pm
Trash Eatin' Duck

Ah yeah I forgot about cell phones. We pay $180 a month for both of us and that covers the cost of the phones and everything unlimited.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 2:31 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I would say this is a good starting point, except that in SC you should be able to get an average house in the 'Burbs for $1,500. I would say that the electricity bill will likely run $200/mth June - September and probably $150 for May and October because of the AC, and if you're at home with children and depending on your tolerance of heat and humidity, could easily be $50-$100/ more. ..... Rental AC units are not going to be the highest efficiency units.

Cell phone service is expensive, and you should budget $100/mth for a contract, less if you go PAYG.

With a family, you will need two vehicles, unless your husband can make his with work without a car, or you chauffeur him to work and bring him home.

$50 for cable seems low, it would only get a very basic package, I believe. I would budget $100 for cable and internet access for the first twelve months - it might go up $30-$50/mth after twelve months unless you negotiate hard and/or feign the intention to terminate the service.
Our electric averages out to around $120 a month in Lexington SC, coastal is (very) slightly cooler. We pay $35 for cable internet (15mbs) and that also has the basic 6 or 7 'free to air' national channels included. We use Netflix for any other TV. As said a house will be around $1200-$1500 where you said. Triple that in Charleston if you can find somewhere.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by popsaloo
Hi,
My husband has the opportunity to work in Charleston, salary £45k / $69k, but before we go any further we need to explore whether it's financially viable. My husband and I are in our early 30s with 2 toddlers. He gets medical insurance from his employer and we are looking at the Summerville area. I will stay at home with the kids.
My Q is what monthly outgoings should we take into account, ie; fuel, utilities, insurance etc....everything and if possible a rough cost.

Thanks
Where do you live now currently? and what is your husband's current salary?

Looking at what he earns now and what your current bills are would help.

If you live in the Greater London area on 45K then you would manage in Charleston.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing to budget in the start up costs, due to lack of US credit history, would be the need for deposits on potentially all the utilities ranging from $50-600 a pop.

If you can get that covered as part of a relocation package, you'll be in a better position.

Kids activities, pre-school and any childcare could be a bit pricey too.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute

Summerville may be a bit more expensive than other areas in the tri-county area because it has the very desirable "Dorchester District II" school district. I graduated from that district. Dorchester county got in a bit of trouble a few years ago when young people would go to the town hall to register as voters the county employees would suggest for them to "go ahead and choose Republican as your party preference instead of independent or democrat because it's basically the same thing" Other possibilities are Mt. Pleasant (Charleston county) and Goose Creek (Berkeley county) and Monck's Corner (also Berkeley but lots of news development out that way). You can search some of my older posts regarding racial issues and other things ( our police killed a man last month) and around nine years ago an AA man was dragged in chains behind a pickup truck until he died but that was near Newberry (mid-state). SC does not have any type of hate crime legislation.

Last edited by Married2abrit; Jun 11th 2015 at 10:27 pm. Reason: Punctuation and auto correct
Old Jun 11th 2015, 10:28 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Cost of Living in Charleston, SC. Prices in Charleston, SC. Updated Jun 2015
Old Jun 12th 2015, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks
I used to live in Charleston for 7 years. Yes $69k is absolutely doable, but you won't be in a huge house or driving BMWs. You will be able to rent a nice 3-4 bed home, all bills covered etc with money left over to save or spend. Summerville is a good half an hours drive from downtown Charleston, but if work is close to home it won't be a problem.
Chucktown has a lot of inexpensive or free things to do, especially if you like the beach. There are restaurants from cheap buffet to expensive.
I would say go for it, you will have an amazing time and enjoy life!!
Old Jun 12th 2015, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks
It is doable on the salary you quote. However, the daily commute from Summerville to Charleston will be a major PIA. We looked at moving there but settled on Mount Pleasant. (My husband works on Daniel Island). We have 2 kids, ages 10 and almost 12. The schools in Summerville and Mt P are very good and that was what swayed our decision.
You'd be looking at paying out for: water, electric, cell phone, cable/internet (we only do internet), health insurance, car insurance, gas/petrol, food/entertainment. You will run a/c a lot, especially during summer as it gets ******* hot, and very humid here. I am assuming you will be renting initially. If you buy you could also have to pay HOA fees. If you want any Charleston/Summerville/Mount Pleasant specific info send me a PM and I'll see what I can answer any questions.