Reload this Page >

Potential Job Prospects

Potential Job Prospects

Old Feb 6th 2014, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

petesla77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potential Job Prospects

Hi,

I am looking at changing careers (currently a music producer) and have always wanted to live in the states. I am looking at studying and becoming qualified in a career that has good potential job prospects/chances of us employment.

I don't mind at all how many years it takes as I am willing to put in the hard work but preferably under 10 years. currently the types of jobs I am attracted to are accounting, a chiropractor, physiotherapist.

Would love to hear from you guys on what you think good jobs/careers there are where a future chance of getting employment in the states are.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 8:08 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential Job Prospects

Originally Posted by petesla77
Hi,

I am looking at changing careers (currently a music producer) and have always wanted to live in the states. I am looking at studying and becoming qualified in a career that has good potential job prospects/chances of us employment.

I don't mind at all how many years it takes as I am willing to put in the hard work but preferably under 10 years. currently the types of jobs I am attracted to are accounting, a chiropractor, physiotherapist.

Would love to hear from you guys on what you think good jobs/careers there are where a future chance of getting employment in the states are.

Thanks in advance.
The kind where you get a job with a multinational company in your home country and then get transferred to the US with a work visa.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 9:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What ever kind of career you want would be the best approach. Bonus if it's the kind of job which leads you to a multi national who might eventually offer the opportunity of a company transfer, such as accountancy.

In the short term, study in the US.

Why the desire though?
Old Feb 6th 2014, 9:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... Would love to hear from you guys on what you think good jobs/careers there are where a future chance of getting employment in the states are. ....
Without a visa, none, and getting a visa is extremely difficult.

Assuming that you don't have $200,000 - $500,000 dollars to invest (investment based visa), your choices are employment based and family based. Employment based visas fall into two groups, those jobs where an employer transfers you to the US (which is tough to find and arrange), and those where a US employer likes you so much they are prepared to cough up $5,000+ to get a visa for you and wait 6-18mths for the visa to be processed (needless to say, this is even tougher than getting transferred). BTW You are aware that US accounting is quite different from most of the rest of the world, and the US has its own licencing system, so an accountant trained in the UK is going to find getting a job in the US extremely tough even if they already have a visa, aren't you?

So to family visas. Assuming that you don't have an adult child, sibling or parent who is a US citizen, there is always the spouse visa. Are you single and willing to consider on-line dating? .... (No, I m not joking.)

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 6th 2014 at 9:38 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Hi guys, thank you all for the your feedback.

Well, Of course it has to be a job/career that I would care about and enjoy. I don't want to be miserable. It's just if I saw a list or knew of the most likely kind of jobs that do get granted each year to work in the sates then I could make a decision from that and decide if those jobs would be something i would like to do.

The reason why i haven't gone into detail about why I want to go is because it's been told a thousand times by other people. But a quick look why is that my parents used to live there and we have been there myself many times with them. I feel an unbelievable need/hunger to go live there that I just can't explain. Anyway, reasons don't get me a visa so I want to be pro active about it.

I am engaged so dating is out of the question.

The only multinational job I could have going for me is T/G/I Fridays where i used to work for 5 years. My brother in law can get me a job as a manager. Once i work my way up there is opportunities going quite often but just not guaranteed. He himself and my sister (another manager) were both offered a job there last year. Can't be 100% certain if they are permanent or temporary.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 2:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I am engaged so dating is out of the question.
What kind of work does your fiance do? Perhaps he has better chances with his line of work. Then after you're married, you can get a visa as a dependent on his.

Rene
Old Feb 7th 2014, 2:39 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

What was your parents' status in the US? Either of them a USC?
Old Feb 7th 2014, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

IT seems to attract the most.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thanks again. I am a HE My partner, she is an accountant.

IT unfortunately does not appeal to me at all. I am hearing lots of positive things regarding Physical therapy.

The manager route in T.G.I Fridays also sounds like a win but would have to work very hard and get the timing right.

My parents were green card holders but left a long time ago so the cards are not most probably expired.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 3:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

IT unfortunately does not appeal to me at all. I am hearing lots of positive things regarding Physical therapy.
My advice is to pursue what you enjoy. Keep doing research as to how that line of work might lead you to the USA, and eventually perhaps it will work out. If not, then at least you've spent all that time doing something you enjoy.

Rene
Old Feb 7th 2014, 4:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

... I am hearing lots of positive things regarding Physical therapy.
Not likely to get you a visa though.

Saying that, who knows what might be popular and in demand in 10 years time.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

I met a couple who were both in Physical Therapy, they had $100k each in Student Loans, a child and could not work out when the loans would ever be paid off.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 5:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Boiler
I met a couple who were both in Physical Therapy, they had $100k each in Student Loans, a child and could not work out when the loans would ever be paid off.
And these days, it seems a lot of states are requiring a doctorate to get qualified over here, unless you were already grandfathered in.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 5:07 pm
Account Closed

The new High School Diploma.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 5:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Planning a career with the primary objective of becoming eligible for a visa to work in the US seems to be setting yourself up for disappointment and failure.

Find a career that is, in some combination, satisfying, interesting, and well paid, and see what cards you have in your hand when you're qualified and have some experience under your belt.

If changing careers means going back to university, consider a bachelors degree, or masters degree, from a US institution. It would be an opportunity to build connections, network, and find an employment visa sponsor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.