Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Posties update

Posties update

Old Mar 10th 2004, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

postie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Posties update

Hi, everyone. Posties wife here. Well, I promised to keep you all up to date on my loooooooooong, complicated situation, so here goes!!! I filled in a citizenship enquiry form and after six long weeks the US Embassy got in touch and basically threw up more brick walls for us to try to knock down! Apparently, it isn't enough that I have a father who is a born and raised US citizen, he also needs to live or have lived in a sympathetic state in the US. Also, he needs to have 'legitimated' me BEFORE I reached 21 years of age.
For those that know the story, (only found my Dad after 40 years of not knowing him) how on earth are we to prove that!!
I'm about at my wits end and am now not sure which way to turn. Everyone in my Dads family knew of my existance although they had no contact with me and Dad always acknowledged that he had a daughter. The trouble is, nothing was done OFFICIALLY (how I hate that word!).
So, friends, any ideas? Has anyone else been through something like this? I know it's an unusual situation, but surely not THAT unusual!!
I'd love to hear from any of you that can help or just throw me a comforting word! Ha! Ha!
So, bye for now and hope to hear from you all soon.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 10:29 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

You could try an immigration lawyer. He/she may have an insight that you haven't previously thought of. Try posting also in the immigration forums of this website.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

postie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that, Scousepete. I've not tried the immigration part of the site yet. So, I'll go there now!