postage

Old Sep 22nd 2003, 1:32 pm
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default postage

Just a quick question to anyone in the know:

I need to post a birthday card to Blighty, how many of those 37cent postage stamps should I put on it?

Thanks in advance,

Emm.
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 2:00 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: postage

Originally posted by Emm

I need to post a birthday card to Blighty, how many of those 37cent postage stamps should I put on it?

Thanks in advance,

Emm.
Letters to the UK are charged by the ounce. It's 80c per ounce. If you've only got 37c stamps, put on three.

I think I must have clear my local PO of 80c stamps when I stock up! The staff struggle to find the stamps for me, asking each other if they have any. Gives me the distinct feeling that not many people have any need for 80c (overseas rate) postage...

NC Penguin
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 2:02 pm
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Letters to the UK are charged by the ounce. It's 80c per ounce. If you've only got 37c stamps, put on three.

I think I must have clear my local PO of 80c stamps when I stock up! The staff struggle to find the stamps for me, asking each other if they have any. Gives me the distinct feeling that not many people have any need for 80c (overseas rate) postage...

NC Penguin
Thanks, I guess I shall have to go to the post office and get some of those 80c stamps at some point but for today 3 of the 37c ones will do.

Thanks again,

Emm.
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget to write AIR MAIL on the top right hand corner AND on the bottom left hand corner of the envelope...otherwise they'll send it sea mail and it will take 6 weeks to get there.
When you get your Airmail stamps at the P.O., ask them for some airmail stickers too- my P.O. usually gives me a few strips.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 1:33 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Emm

Thanks in advance,

Emm.
They charge more for a large envelope too. I sent an A5 (half A4) sized envelope to the UK last week and had to pay 92¢, instead of 80¢, becasue it was about 1/8" bigger than the permited size.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 1:38 am
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

12 cents more! Pulaski stop this splashing out will you? You will only get yourseff a name.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Seems to take 5 days for post to reach the UK too Emm. 80c postage seems the right amount too IIRC.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by NC Penguin

NC Penguin
If you go to USPS website shop.usps.com you will find your 80 c stamps there (left side>stamps by rate>international). Plus, because it is the postal service, shipping to your door is free.

You can also get large quantities (they ship in packs of 10 or so) of global priority envelopes and boxes, tape, labels, supplies for free and delivered to your door for nothing for postal service use. To ship a global priority envelope is $5.00. To ship a global priority box with up to 4 lbs. of goods is $9.00. It takes almost 2 weeks to get there.

Last edited by jaytee; Sep 23rd 2003 at 2:13 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Jaytee, a Global Priority Mail box for $9? I know of the large flat rate envelope for $9 and up to 4 lbs... do you mean the envelope? I'm just asking because if there is an actual BOX for $9 and 4 lbs I'm off now doing Snoopy happy dances...

Elaine
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 8:45 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HunterGreen
I'm off now doing Snoopy happy dances...

Elaine
Let me help you with that...
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HunterGreen
Jaytee, a Global Priority Mail box for $9? I know of the large flat rate envelope for $9 and up to 4 lbs... do you mean the envelope? I'm just asking because if there is an actual BOX for $9 and 4 lbs I'm off now doing Snoopy happy dances...

Elaine
It looks like you're right. Try this link http://ircalc.usps.gov/ and put in 4 lbs. It is showing you can ship the small envelope for $5, the large envelope for $9 and the variable weight box for $26. So it's not as good as I thought. If you can stuff it into a large flat rate envelope it's a good deal. For $26 you can fit 6 VHS tapes and maybe some cds.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 1:46 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jaytee
To ship a global priority envelope is $5.00. To ship a global priority box with up to 4 lbs. of goods is $9.00. It takes almost 2 weeks to get there.
We sent a GP envelope with some photos in last Friday afternoon - mum called this morning to say that they'd arrived....
Old Sep 24th 2003, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

[i]Let me help you with that...
Thank you

Aww man, I was so hoping for a $9 box... Oh well!
Old Sep 27th 2003, 2:03 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by scotch03
12 cents more! Pulaski stop this splashing out will you? You will only get yourseff a name.
A Scotsman telling a Yorkshireman that he is spending too much money. Isn't that ironic!