Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Post Naturalization - Social Security Update?

Post Naturalization - Social Security Update?

Old Oct 1st 2020, 1:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post Naturalization - Social Security Update?

Originally Posted by retzie
I was able to update the SSA with just my shiny new US passport (in person), .....
Me too.
Old Oct 1st 2020, 2:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My personal opinion is that part of the need is the SAVE system. When you change your status with SSA to US Citizen, it is also changed on the SAVE system. Also I recall discussions that US Citizen enjoy a larger tax free amount of tax allowances on inheritance than LPR's.
Old Oct 1st 2020, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retzie
I was able to update the SSA with just my shiny new US passport (in person), so I don't know how much local variation you might see in this rule.

Just quickly: for anyone needing to do this, SSA considers this to be a "request for a new card". Don't ask me why -- maybe that's the only way to trigger an update to the record. They did send me a new card and it is identical to the one I had as an LPR. Some people on BE have reported being given a choice about getting a physical new card or not (I wasn't).

Also, some locations do not process card requests at all SSA offices (e.g., NYC), so be sure to check using the location checker on the website before you show up.
I have to do it through the FBU at the US Embassy in London and in my interview was told I needed to send in both the US passport and the Naturalization certificate, once their offices were open again after Covid, or come in person with both. I hate sending off my passport so we decided to go in person once my wife is ready to apply early next year, and the lady at the FBU said that would be fine. We already have a week at a London hotel booked that we had to cancel and take a credit to use anytime before January, 2022.

Those of you with HI policies through the ACA, did they accept a US passport or did you have to also upload your Naturalization certificate? We went through that process a few years ago so that is 2 Federal government departments that have seen it.
Old Oct 1st 2020, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Those of you with HI policies through the ACA, did they accept a US passport or did you have to also upload your Naturalization certificate? We went through that process a few years ago so that is 2 Federal government departments that have seen it.
I was on an ACA policy (for one month before Medicare; just one more example of the insane mess of access to healthcare in the US...). I was asked for my naturalization certificate number but never had to produce the certificate. I wasn't asked for any details about my US passport. Given the short time I was on the policy, I guess they could retroactively ask for more info.
Old Oct 1st 2020, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I was on an ACA policy (for one month before Medicare; just one more example of the insane mess of access to healthcare in the US...). I was asked for my naturalization certificate number but never had to produce the certificate. I wasn't asked for any details about my US passport. Given the short time I was on the policy, I guess they could retroactively ask for more info.
Thanks for that. The number format online wouldn’t accept our Certificate numbers so had to upload a copy for manual verification. Same happened to a friend of mine whose Naturalization was earlier than us and this was in the second year of the ACA so maybe they fixed their system.
Old Oct 1st 2020, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. The number format online wouldn’t accept our Certificate numbers so had to upload a copy for manual verification. Same happened to a friend of mine whose Naturalization was earlier than us and this was in the second year of the ACA so maybe they fixed their system.
I'm in California so this is using the Covered California website, not the federal site.
Old Oct 1st 2020, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I'm in California so this is using the Covered California website, not the federal site.
Gotcha. We were using healthcare.gov as we lived in Texas.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 5:32 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't count on it, I seem to encounter the same bugs year after year on it. That said I'm pretty sure I only entered my certificate number when I filled out my last application but it was my first as a citizen.
Old May 24th 2021, 7:21 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

I finally got around to phoning my local Social Security office (naturized in February), only to be told that since it's not urgent, I need to wait until the office reopens after Covid shutdown. No idea when that will be though.
Old May 24th 2021, 7:48 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ivanidea
I finally got around to phoning my local Social Security office (naturized in February), only to be told that since it's not urgent, I need to wait until the office reopens after Covid shutdown. No idea when that will be though.
I naturalized in the summer of 2019, I did my US passport try same day, I did the DMV 2 years later/last week (waited till I had to do a renewal anyway) and plan to do the SSA in the next year or 2, I think the local office is near the courthouse so was planing to combine doing that with Jury duty, just had that postponed for CV19 so will see when that happens. I think that’s the last thing I have to do..
Old May 24th 2021, 11:37 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I had to get a replacement SSN card (lost the original) during Covid last year and got an appointment for that. As part of that process they had to check my immigration status and they took my certificate and updated the system at that time. You could try that if you just want to get it out of the way,