Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Possibly moving to Columbia SC

Possibly moving to Columbia SC

Old Nov 29th 2009, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possibly moving to Columbia SC

Originally Posted by G52
As you can see from the number of posts I've made, I'm a newcomer to this type of thing. Based on the hostile responses I've received, I think this will be my last post on BE.

I asked a fairly simple question about race relations in Columbia and have been asked if I'm "afraid of Blacks," and advised to learn how to rap. How strange! Again, I'm new to these forums but I'm certainly not impressed by the way words are twisted and people are baited. Very immature and not for me.

I was hoping someone from The South could walk me through the serious crime-rates in Columbia, which are triple those of Seattle (per 100,000). After receiving hostile responses about my attitude towards blacks, I did some of my own research which proved that homicide victims were 66% black. It seems taboo to discuss race without being baited as if I were a member of the KKK.

I do want to live in the city of Columbia if I get the job, notwithstanding advice to live in the suburbs where it's safe for middle-class whites, according to one person from PA. I grew up in Glasgow, went to uni in Belfast and have lived very happily in the heart of Seattle for the past 14 years. I'm certainly not going to be part of the "white flight" to the suburbs.

Anyway, thanks to the nutters who have convinced me not to ask advice on BE anymore. It really is astonishing how people switch off their common-sense in order to twist words and confute simple questions. Sad.
Oh do take the stick out of your @ss and get a sense of humour
Old Nov 30th 2009, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Well I wasnt nasty about it at least just laying out the facts that most blacks live in downtown and most whites live in the suburbs, and if he was so concerned about black crime, maybe he opt to choose to live where blacks DON'T live. Simple. Tho I have to tell him, probably apartments and/or condos in the downtown area would cater to him then if he doesn't want to be part of the white flight. If he can afford it, then all the power to him.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Oh do take the stick out of your @ss and get a sense of humour
I was disappointed with the flow.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Well I wasnt nasty about it at least just laying out the facts that most blacks ... DON'T live. Simple. Tho I have to tell him, probably apartments and/or condos in the downtown area would cater to him then if he doesn't want to be part of the white ... power to him.

G52 - I certainly am not going to apologize, although I am also toying with you. You came on here with an attitude that immediately struck me as small minded rather than outwardly racist, with your statistics on crime that specifically involving blacks and asking 'how safe' you would be in SC - being careful to completely ignore any such stats for crimes involving whites, which would be more significant if you were to live in the white suburbs.

When choosing somewhere to live I look at the overall stats for crime ignoring the color of the perpetrators.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US

G52 - I certainly am not going to apologize, although I am also toying with you. You came on here with an attitude that immediately struck me as small minded rather than outwardly racist, with your statistics on crime that specifically involving blacks and asking 'how safe' you would be in SC - being careful to completely ignore any such stats for crimes involving whites, which would be more significant if you were to live in the white suburbs.

When choosing somewhere to live I look at the overall stats for crime ignoring the color of the perpetrators.
Can you really blame him though? You know as well as I do the media here are always on about blacks being involved in carjackings, shootouts, robberies, etc. and that creates the perception that if you live in a black area you will be robbed or whatever
Old Nov 30th 2009, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Can you really blame him though? You know as well as I do the media here are always on about blacks being involved in carjackings, shootouts, robberies, etc. and that creates the perception that if you live in a black area you will be robbed or whatever
Yes, I think I can blame him. There are many white people out there who are not scared of black people, irrespective of what is in the media.

I would only not blame him if he has personally experienced black crime against him on a regular basis on a par with the statistics that he quotes.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, I think I can blame him. There are many white people out there who are not scared of black people, irrespective of what is in the media.

I would only not blame him if he has personally experienced black crime against him on a regular basis on a par with the statistics that he quotes.
Maybe he hasn't lived around blacks like me and (I'm assuming) you have?
Old Dec 1st 2009, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe he hasn't lived around blacks like me and (I'm assuming) you have?
I am black!
Old Dec 1st 2009, 1:13 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I am black!
so have you lived around them?
Old Dec 1st 2009, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Hahahaha :P Wonder how he would feel if he took a little vacation down to where I used to live. He'll flip his lid!

Last edited by chrisfromusa; Dec 1st 2009 at 3:29 am.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
no, I've always lived in rich 'white areas'. Still doesn't justify the fear, though.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

no, I've always lived in rich 'white areas'. Still doesn't justify the fear, though.
I'm very certain it has to do with watching the news too much or something to that effect.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 11:47 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G52
I dug a little more deeply into the crime stats: many of the murders in SC were/are black guys killing black guys. The number one cause of death amongst black men aged 18-21 is homicide. In 2005 two thirds of homicide victims in SC were black; one third were white. Lastly, black women are five times as likely to suffer domestic abuse in SC than white women. An inconvenient truth perhaps. So, yes, I think it is relevant that I'm white and most crimes are against blacks. Sorry if the truth hurts, but I'd rather know the facts than live in a bubble.
But, then they have cop killers running around in Seattle, which is really scary to me. A lot more dangerous than picket pocket type crime.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 11:06 am
Just Joined

tevez is just really nicetevez is just really nicetevez is just really nicetevez is just really nicetevez is just really nicetevez is just really nicetevez is just really nicetevez is just really nice

greetings,

Fellow Scot here, we just moved from Australia to Hilton Head 1 month ago. SC, as previously mentioned, is conservative even for the US. Joe Wilson, near Georgia, redneck type cliches but I've found the people here to be v. friendly. Black vs. white relations. Everyone seems to get on fine. As usual much caution re: neighborhoods, gas stations, downtown areas. Columbia is 50-50 I think. Find a nice neighborhood \ gated community. I'm sure you'll be fine. Charlotte is handy for flights to UK. Look us up if you come to SC.