Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Possibly moving - advice on situation please

Possibly moving - advice on situation please

Old Nov 24th 2006, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

David Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possibly moving - advice on situation please

[QUOTE=ScottMc]Hi All,

What I would like are people's opinions on our situation - given the above salary do you think in your opinion it's work the risks and are the rewards of living in the USA enough that a moderate salary like the one above (plus hopefully a similar salary from myself after a period) will eventually offset my worries of the reduction in job security/role protection in the US as opposed to the UK?

I came in 1979 on my own with about $2000 in my pocket and a job at $16,000 a year. The UK company paid my tab in hotels for the first 90 days till I found a place. I had a company car and travel expenses. If it's just the two of you - no kids- I say, give it a shot. It will look good on your C.V. if you go back in two or three years and you'll have a great adventure together.
Life is not a rehearsal, you only get the one.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 1:38 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by ScottMc
Hi All,

I've been reading the posts and there's some great information here. I was wondering if any of you would like to share your opinion on our situation.

Basically it a "should we or shouldn't we?" moment.

I've been looking through the info and we don't seem to have any issues with the visas, labor certification and GC.

My wife will be going over on an intra company transfer to start a section in the US offices that currently doesn't exist. (Testing goods to legislative standards, bit like trading standards).

They have stated that the equivalent salary is around the 40k mark plus benefits (including insurance but don't know amounts and coverage yet).

I'm putting together a lengthy list of questions for her employer regarding actual net salary, health benefits, relocation assistance etc.

I do not hold a degree which from the other posts seems to be a key in obtaining many roles. I'm highly experienced in contact centre work, having been a process/project worker, team leader, co-ordinator etc for a number of years.

I understand this has been a declining market due to outsourcing but hope to get a reasonable job within a short span of time and hope this is possible if I dedicate myself to my search correctly.

We will be moving to the Chicago area.

Bottom line after reading up on the various insurance requirements, how property rentals work etc I foresee quite an initial outlay and some risk involved in the move which is excepted. We have a small amount of savings to take with us which I hope to keep most of to assist if everything goes well and we require a home loan deposit.

What I would like are people's opinions on our situation - given the above salary do you think in your opinion it's work the risks and are the rewards of living in the USA enough that a moderate salary like the one above (plus hopefully a similar salary from myself after a period) will eventually offset my worries of the reduction in job security/role protection in the US as opposed to the UK?

Sorry about the length of the post and the individual circumstances but I'd like the opinions of some of you that have "been there done that"

Thanks,

Scott
You can earn more than $40K working for McDonalds here. Don't believe me? Ask Big Davy!!
Old Nov 25th 2006, 1:35 pm

Scarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond repute

I've already paid for a report for the wife on salary.com and that says she should be hitting around $74k.

If we get around that figure - do-able?

Her managers going over at the end of the month to get more details and start negotiating the package and this will be going with her along with all our other questions.

Agreed on transferring length of service.

Damn those degrees are expensive - online OU might be an option as thats cheaper.

I had figured on two cars being probable - albeit two reasonably cheap second hand ones at that. I was reading through the thread that had some info on car insurance and which companies appeared to have better rates.
The OU won't let you start a degree from the US, only finish one if you're almost through it. I know. I'm an alumni. Check out FHSU Virtual College, small, cheap, accredited: http://www.fhsu.edu/virtualcollege/

You really NEED that degree if you're planning on staying.

Has anyone mentioned car insurance? You begin here, with most companies, as if you are a 17-year-old with no driving record. First year of insurance is likely to be between $2,000 and $3,000.

Personal opinion. It's worth a shot if they give your wife $75,000. Anything else, and they're insulting her. American businesses often respect people who know their worth. You say her experience is unique and they need it. Tell them to show you the money!

If they go for it, get EVERYTHING in writing. Maybe think about giing a little of your savings to a lawyer to look over the contract.

Good luck!

Regards
-=-
Scarlett
Old Nov 25th 2006, 1:39 pm

Scarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
OU is worth av=bout as much as tits on a fish here - check out the US equivilent

http://www.universityofphoenix.com/
NO. OU transfers as an accredited US degree. It's just that they won't let you start one from the US.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 2:01 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scarlett-Dallas
NO. OU transfers as an accredited US degree. It's just that they won't let you start one from the US.

Don't let the opportunity pass you by, or you will always regret it. It is extremely difficult to get into the US to work - you are very lucky to be given this opportunity. Come to the states, take full advantage of the opportunities it will afford you, and enjoy yourself. You are only young once. With plenty of chutzpah and a British accent you will do fine. Only down side in my opinion is the winter weather, but you will enjoy the summers. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
Old Nov 25th 2006, 4:58 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
You can earn more than $40K working for McDonalds here. Don't believe me? Ask Big Davy!!

My grandsons mum get $48k a year working in BurgerKing...she is an Asst Manger late evenings....

Last edited by krizzy; Nov 25th 2006 at 5:04 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 5:04 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Well the advice you gave paid off somewhat. Still not ideal but better than before.

Wage increased to $55k, (reviewed and advised that this will go up once we confirm we're staying, was only capped due to being paid by the UK office initially). 3 months furnished apartment paid, three months car. All moving expenses. All lawyers fees. My EAD fees.

We will negotiate the other terms before the trial period is up.

The L1b is only initially, after three months she will be recruiting and formally taking up the management position and we can then switch to the L1a.

Doing on a three month trial basis with the option for my wife to come back to her old job.

I've took everything regarding my own outlook on board. My main aim is securing interviews, I have a lot of confidence in my abilities once I've got my foot in the door.

I have been advised my job will be here if it doesn't work out and we come back, even offered me a promotion to stay!

Thanks to everyone for the advice. It's defintely been a massive help so far and although there's still a lot of issues we're going into it with our eyes open.

We're off on Monday, I'm there for a week then coming back to get house sale sorted etc before going back Xmas and then finally in January.

I'm sure this isn't the last time I'll be asking for advice!!!
We came over in 99 on $65k a year plus up too $15k a year bonus ...you need to get the wages right at the start...because your wages go up slow and low once you're in a job....also holiday time...we asked for 4 weeks and got it...so hubby now has 6 weeks a year plus...time off is worth its weight in gold...
Old Nov 26th 2006, 12:42 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed this post happened in May, 2006, so does anyone know what happened to Scott? Did he come over to the US in the end?? Scott, you out there??

Just curious...

Hi All,

I've been reading the posts and there's some great information here. I was wondering if any of you would like to share your opinion on our situation.

Basically it a "should we or shouldn't we?" moment.

I've been looking through the info and we don't seem to have any issues with the visas, labor certification and GC.

My wife will be going over on an intra company transfer to start a section in the US offices that currently doesn't exist. (Testing goods to legislative standards, bit like trading standards).

They have stated that the equivalent salary is around the 40k mark plus benefits (including insurance but don't know amounts and coverage yet).

I'm putting together a lengthy list of questions for her employer regarding actual net salary, health benefits, relocation assistance etc.

I do not hold a degree which from the other posts seems to be a key in obtaining many roles. I'm highly experienced in contact centre work, having been a process/project worker, team leader, co-ordinator etc for a number of years.

I understand this has been a declining market due to outsourcing but hope to get a reasonable job within a short span of time and hope this is possible if I dedicate myself to my search correctly.

We will be moving to the Chicago area.

Bottom line after reading up on the various insurance requirements, how property rentals work etc I foresee quite an initial outlay and some risk involved in the move which is excepted. We have a small amount of savings to take with us which I hope to keep most of to assist if everything goes well and we require a home loan deposit.

Sorry about the length of the post and the individual circumstances but I'd like the opinions of some of you that have "been there done that"

Thanks,

Scott
Old Nov 26th 2006, 12:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I noticed this post happened in May, 2006, so does anyone know what happened to Scott? Did he come over to the US in the end?? Scott, you out there??

Just curious...
Read post #180
Old Nov 26th 2006, 12:45 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbj1000

Just curious...
I think this is the same person

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409944
Old Nov 26th 2006, 1:25 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Sneaky f**ker - did you think I wouldn't notice this ???
Please feel free to post on my jewellery thread about your experiences in elizabeth duke.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

ScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud of

Yeah I'm still lurking!!!

Wife goes over on Monday, I'm going for a week then coming back to get sold.

Wife's got her job to come back to if this first three months leaves us with too many doubts and issues. My place have said that even if it's six months time to give them a call and they'll have a job for me. Even offered me a promotion.

As I said on yesterdays post everything's not up to other's ideals on here but we'll kick ourselves if we don't take the chance and see what happens.

Any sign that our savings start getting frittered away without me having a decent wage then we'll come back

Time to see what happens!!!

Even if you don't agree we've took a step further than the usual wannabees and started to prove a certain amount of tenacity that we're going to need to call on soon.

Thanks again to everyone's opinions, I'll keep you posted from time to time.

Oh and yes that car thread's me!!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 4:23 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Sneaky f**ker - did you think I wouldn't notice this ???
Please feel free to post on my jewellery thread about your experiences in elizabeth duke.
I did think I'd get away with. Elizabeth Duke??? Im not pikey mate..all my tom comes out of a good quality shop..Ratners.