Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Possibly move to New York... and very scared!!

Possibly move to New York... and very scared!!

Old Nov 2nd 2005, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Britishmum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possibly move to New York... and very scared!!

Hi there,

We are possibly re-locating from England to NY with my husbands job. I have 2 small children, age 3 and 1 month old. The thought of doing this;
up-rooting my 3 yr old is really scaring me. I have been to NY twice (minus the kids) a few years ago and to me it seems a crazy place (like London) and the thought of bringing up 2 kids fills me with no end of fear!!!

Can anyone out there reassure me that it really is an ok place to be and that I can enroll my daughter in nursery school etc. I suppose i've seen too much on TV about NY that worries me its no place for a young family??

Thanks
Liza
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 7:52 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possibly move to New York... and very scared!!

Originally Posted by Britishmum
Hi there,

We are possibly re-locating from England to NY with my husbands job. I have 2 small children, age 3 and 1 month old. The thought of doing this;
up-rooting my 3 yr old is really scaring me. I have been to NY twice (minus the kids) a few years ago and to me it seems a crazy place (like London) and the thought of bringing up 2 kids fills me with no end of fear!!!

Can anyone out there reassure me that it really is an ok place to be and that I can enroll my daughter in nursery school etc. I suppose i've seen too much on TV about NY that worries me its no place for a young family??

Thanks
Liza
It sounds like his job would be in Manhattan, but that doesn't restrict you to living in Manhattan. There are plenty of commuters living in New Jersey, Connecticut, even Pennsylvania. I think a lot of that sort of decision would depend on where you'd be able to afford to live. There are some good areas of NY and worse areas as with anywhere. I personally would prefer not to live right in the city (I like to be a bit closer to real countryside), but there are a lot of nice places there if you can afford it.

I don't have kids so can't help much with that sort of thing, but I'm sure you'll be fine.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 7:52 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

New York is one of the safest, most gentrified cities in the US. The stereotypical UK vision of New York and the reality on the ground are diametrically opposed.

Guiliani's crime fighting crusade and the unbelievable economic strength of the city have completely changed the city in the last twenty years. It's almost like a giant, glamourous theme park for the rich and beautiful these days: NewYorkLand. The grime and character I remember from my childhood are almost entirely gone.

Many, many children are raised in and around New York and seem to do just fine. My wife grew up in Manhattan in the (supposedly) crime-ridden eighties and loved it.

The only terrifying things about NYC are the real estate prices, general cost of living and Hideki Matsui's bat (the last one only if you're a Red Sox fan).

It's a great city and a world unto itself. It's true that there's no place like it.

Last edited by Hiro11; Nov 2nd 2005 at 8:19 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hiro11

The only thing terrifying about NYC are the real estate prices, general cost of living
It's a great city and a world unto itself. It's true that there's no place like it.
I agree. I would strongly suggest a suburb, as this way you can pick a good school district. However this can also be v. costly. I would suggest at least $400,000 for a house.

But it would be a great experience for your family. It really is a great place!
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 8:04 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
I agree. I would strongly suggest a suburb, as this way you can pick a good school district. However this can also be v. costly. I would suggest at least $400,000 for a house.

But it would be a great experience for your family. It really is a great place!
$400,000 seems a bit optimistic. I'm out in NJ and looking at buying a house 10 minutes walk from a station that takes 50 minutes to get into Manhattan. In a good area for schools out here you are looking at about 450,000 for a 3 bedroom, maybe a 4 bedroom if you're very lucky.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I really wouldn't worry of all the places to be posted New York has got to be one of the best. I hear wonderful things also about Connecticut. Can you elaborate on where your husband will be working?

The best person to advise you is Englishmum, she lives in New York and is a wealth of information....good luck
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 8:15 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

The thought of doing this;
up-rooting my 3 yr old is really scaring me.
Indeed, the thought of the kid growing up to be a Yankees fan is enough to scare anyone.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 8:27 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Possibly move to New York... and very scared!!

Originally Posted by neil
$400,000 seems a bit optimistic. I'm out in NJ and looking at buying a house 10 minutes walk from a station that takes 50 minutes to get into Manhattan. In a good area for schools out here you are looking at about 450,000 for a 3 bedroom, maybe a 4 bedroom if you're very lucky.
Are you coming out to live near me then - for the MidTown Direct line?
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 8:37 pm
Not here much

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Are you coming out to live near me then - for the MidTown Direct line?
Well, it goes direct to MidTown but I don't think it's that near you
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 8:38 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
The best person to advise you is Englishmum, she lives in New York and is a wealth of information....good luck
LOL!

Actually although my husband works in NYC (for a British company in Times Square) we actually live in the New Jersey suburbs.

I did a *lot* of research before coming to live here....I had been to the US on holidays before but never to New York, so thank God for the internet, I spent hours poring over the TriState area info...we moved here directly from Singapore and I had just *one day* to look for somewhere to live and actually did it LOL! (My husband stayed on in NYC and I had to fly back to Singapore....my mother had flown out to look after the kids and fell down a monsoon drain when she was riding my bike, fracturing her wrist....)

I think if you have a little one then it will be a nightmare trying to find a nursery place in NYC....parents are very competitive and put names down at birth and lots of $$$$ required. You can read the blogs online and it's a horror story....

There is a very nice nursery school down the road from where we live and it's operated by a very nice English lady (I've collected my friend's children from there in emergencies). Is your husband with a major investment bank?....a number of English families seem to be moving in our local area who are with Merrill Lynch.

I can give you tons of info if you're interested in New Jersey (my initial instinct was to recoil in horror at the thought of living in NJ LOL, but the local towns where we live are very pretty with lots of trees).
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Thanks
Liza
We moved to NYC 17 years ago from Middx UK. My wife is a USC (We first married & lived in UK), my son came to NYC as a baby, he is now a High School senior. We have run the entire gauntlet of Pre K $500 mo in 1990 to Public schools & now private @ $10k per year (Thats cheap, some are $25-30K). Little league to senior Baseball, Kiddie soccer to the rough take no prisoners indoor soccer. YES this is the big city. BRING tons of money, if you intend to rent or buy & live in Manhattan. Car, think "parking" another $500 +++ mo. On the other hand, as the others have said "Working in Manhattan/NYC does not mean you have to live here." Long Island, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island. Other States, NJ, CT are Cheaper to live & surely better to bring up your children. My son has turned out totally normal, a real gentlemen. Certainly has not done him any harm living in the big city. He just came home from doing 2 hours of afterschool community work.
Reg. Frank R.
PS. Always willing to answer your questions on NYC.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 11:16 pm
Unknown quantity

New in NY will become famous soon enough

I don't find New York scary at all
Even in Manhattan there are lots of families with kids and there are some nice areas, for example in Upper East or Upper West side close to the park. Of course it's terribly expensive and there is no back yard. We are staying in Manhattan for now because my husband and I are both working here. But I think with two small kids it really makes sense to stay in a nice area in New Jersey or Connecticut. If your husband's office will be close to Grand Central, you could also look at Westchester. Have a look at this old link, maybe you'll get some ideas from here: http://www.newyorkmetro.com/realesta...able/index.htm
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11

The only terrifying things about NYC are the real estate prices, general cost of living and Hideki Matsui's bat (the last one only if you're a Red Sox fan).

lol.......roflmao......do yourself a favor have a look at Mannys stats....http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/...layerID=120903

then have a look at Matsui's.....http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASAp...layerID=425686
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

It amazes me that someone can post on every thread, yet contribute nothing. This board is filling up with post whores who'd rather argue or stir the pot. What a shame.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 2:20 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
It amazes me that someone can post on every thread, yet contribute nothing. This board is filling up with post whores who'd rather argue or stir the pot. What a shame.

And for which there is a perfectly good lounge!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.