Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Possible move to Houston, Texas - please help!

Possible move to Houston, Texas - please help!

Old Jul 12th 2012, 6:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Houston, Texas - please help!

Originally Posted by Parisangel
We've heard HSBC will do a similar transfer - hubby has a HSBC account so we're going to look into that.
Premier account, need active balance of something like 100K these days though.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 6:52 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Unfortunately, the score alone is pretty meaningless. It's the combination, variety and type of credit that is more important to the important stuff like mortgages.

Having a high score helps with finding a rental or job application and with utilities, but not much else on its own.

The AmEx, definitely the best jump start though.
Yep, found this out all to well myself! The score is the easy bit, the history is the thing that has held me back and there's nothing you can do about that.
I did get a good mortgage rate though funnily enough.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 7:11 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Ok guys you are freaking me out, I hate guns...move's off!
Guns?

No, no guns here - who told you that?

In a recent survey it was found 100% of the participants didn't have guns. Well, OK, I haven't got one - Bink hasn't got one. Thats 100% right?
Old Jul 13th 2012, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Parisangel will become famous soon enough

Yeah, that definitely counts
Old Jul 13th 2012, 4:26 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, that definitely counts
Honestly, it's just one of those things, I don't get nervous about it. People here have guns. Is it anymore dangerous than London, no, not in my opinion as long as you stay out of certain areas at certain times, same as any big city.
You will find though that most families do own guns though and a lot of people here hunt.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 4:54 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
Honestly, it's just one of those things, I don't get nervous about it. People here have guns. Is it anymore dangerous than London, no, not in my opinion as long as you stay out of certain areas at certain times, same as any big city.
You will find though that most families do own guns though and a lot of people here hunt.
If the kids are having a playdate at a house with guns, we just remind them that they are not to get involved if the guns are brought out, and to give us a call. Its never happened though. I guess the parents we know are pretty responsible about keeping the guns locked up etc, although I do know one boy who used to be in our Cub Pack who was allowed to take his .22 out on his own (ie without adult supervision) from the age of 7, which to me is just plain wrong. His moms reasoning was it was "only" a .22....
Old Jul 17th 2012, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Wow....7????? I just don't know what to say about that!!

Just been looking at flights...why oh why oh why are one way flights so expensive?????

Crazy.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 4:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Just been looking at flights...why oh why oh why are one way flights so expensive?????
Because the airline is responsible for flying you home if you get deported on a one way ticket.

Just buy a return and either ignore the return portion or date it as far in the future as you can and change the date when you might need it.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Ah, Interesting. And annoying! Thanks Bob.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

campermad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again all.

When my whole family follow me to Houston in January with them will be a Husky! Most rentals I see advertised say they will consider pets on a case by case basis. could this be a problem?

Cheers
Scott
Old Jul 19th 2012, 12:19 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campermad
Hi again all.

When my whole family follow me to Houston in January with them will be a Husky! Most rentals I see advertised say they will consider pets on a case by case basis. could this be a problem?

Cheers
Scott
You'll need to pay a non-refundable and refundable pet deposit. You'll also have to get approval from the landlord on a case by case. We had to write a letter about Sam for the landlords. I added a few photos of him looking particularly docile.
Some of them that say no pets may still consider them for a cash incentive.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Weeze
You'll need to pay a non-refundable and refundable pet deposit. You'll also have to get approval from the landlord on a case by case. We had to write a letter about Sam for the landlords. I added a few photos of him looking particularly docile.
Some of them that say no pets may still consider them for a cash incentive.
Thank you Weeze

What breed is Sam?
Old Jul 19th 2012, 12:41 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Border collie. I put in the picture of him wearing a party hat and one of him asleep in a duvet. The biggest problem we had was finding somewhere with a pool AND grass. Lots of the rentals with pools only had paths and a flower bed rather than somewhere for Sam.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

I am finding the same thing, not many rentals with a pool but those that do it appears to consume the whole garden with only a small paved area remaining.

I am amazed they did not refuse you a rental on the grounds of insanity sending a pic of Sam with a hat on... When ours was younger I put a T-shirt on him, I thnk he thought he was super cool
Old Jul 19th 2012, 12:55 pm

Don't rely on the HAR photos. Just go and view. Some had grassed areas to the side that they didn't bother photographing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.