Reload this Page >

Possible move home

Possible move home

Old Dec 29th 2012, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

alexgwoodruff will become famous soon enough
Default Possible move home

Hello all,

Please forgive these questions, I am sure that a search will likely provide me with some answers, but time restraints mean that I literally have 5 minutes to type this question before my next appointment.

My wife and I moved from the UK to the USA in 2004. I am British, she is Irish. We have been in Arizona since then and are now ready to move on. We have given ourselves 3 months to research our next destination.

Here is our situation/concerns:
1) With our parents getting older we are a long way from home.
2) Our son is growing up without knowing his extended family.
3) Our jobs are transferrable
4) Phoenix does not (and has never) felt like home.

So, we are researching some East Coast locations.... but we have also started to think about coming home, to Ireland or the UK.

My concerns are that I do not know what is involved with the return to UK life.

How do we reinstate our UK pension? We have not paid national insurance for 8 years.
Are there any penalties for withdrawing money from US retirement accounts if we leave the US?
Is it expensive to ship our furniture home?

I am sure there are a million other questions/concerns.... so I am asking for your help. What questions should I be asking myself?

Thank you for taking the time to answer. When my schedule frees up I will be combing through these threads myself. In the meantime I would love some direction and insights.

Thanks.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 8:43 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move home

Hi, we are in the middle of clearing out and moving back.
We had made the suggestion of moving to east coast, that idea lasted about two minutes if that for us. If we are making a huge move we decided to just go all the way home.
The UK pension thing, you will start paying into it once you start work there again, you can also make back payments to catch up, some of the members here have done that so maybe they can give more advice.
No idea about your US pensions, my Dh only has one and it's not able to be collected till 65 so we have to wait for that, they will pay us in the UK same with Social security when we are old enough.
You really haven't been gone that long, 8 years or so. You'd probably slot right back in.
We aren't shipping furniture, our US couches are too large and bulky and I don't like them enough to go to the trouble of shipping them. It'll be boxes of work tools and boxes for Dh, toys and books for Dd and I want to hang onto my pans and dining table and chairs I've seen similar for sale at Laura Ashley and couldn't afford to replace it as it's solid Oak. (not huge US style thankfully) That and boxes of memories from out older boys and I just packed the Christmas ornaments we are keeping, reduced from three rubbermaid totes down to one.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you on life in Arizona. Been here since 1988 and have never felt Arizona was home. Good luck with whatever you decide..
Old Dec 30th 2012, 1:24 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

If you are missing home, then the East Coast is not the answer. Go home. Reasons 1-2-3-4 will not be solved by a move to the East Coast. It might make things a little easier, with an 8 hour flight time and only a 5 hour time difference, but still, if home is where you want to be...

Do you have US citizenship? Might be something to consider if you want flexibility say 10 years down the road.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 2:37 am
Just Joined

alexgwoodruff will become famous soon enough

thanks for the responses so far, they have been very helpful.
to be honest, we are not missing home... but with only 1 direct flight from Phoenix each day we are more worried about not getting home if we need to get there urgently. at least from the east coast we have multiple flights leaving each day, weekends at home would hopefully be more feasible.
our move is being driven by our desire to leave Phoenix and to find somewhere that will advance our careers
Old Jan 19th 2013, 6:33 am
Happy To Help!

TopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by alexgwoodruff
How do we reinstate our UK pension? We have not paid national insurance for 8 years.
Hello alexgwoodruff,

In most circumstances voluntary Class 3 National Insurance contributions can be made.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 7:48 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

to be honest, we are not missing home... but with only 1 direct flight from Phoenix each day we are more worried about not getting home if we need to get there urgently. at least from the east coast we have multiple flights leaving each day, weekends at home would hopefully be more feasible.
our move is being driven by our desire to leave Phoenix and to find somewhere that will advance our careers
If you're not missing home, be very careful about coming back. This site is littered with stories of people who were very dissatisfied upon returning and the crux of the matter is often that they really didn't want to come back in the first place.

If you're making a decision based on flights and career opportunities, then maybe the East coast is the best option for you. As long as you don't venture south of DC, it's a different world to Phoenix. Attitudes are worlds apart, it has a real climate, and there's actual culture. (Can't speak for the south as I only went as far as North Carolina once and hated it so much I left after 12 hours! Don't flame me if you love it there - it's just my opinion)

Don't get me wrong, personally I love the UK and much prefer it here to the East Coast of America, but that doesn't sound like where you're at mentally.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old Jan 19th 2013, 12:51 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Boston has many flights per day with several carriers, including day time flights (leave Boston in the morning, in to London in the evening.). Flight time is only six or seven hours, and fares are competitive. Probably destinations in addition to London ..
Old Jan 19th 2013, 1:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
..... As long as you don't venture south of DC, it's a different world to Phoenix. Attitudes are worlds apart, it has a real climate, and there's actual culture. (Can't speak for the south as I only went as far as North Carolina once and hated it so much I left after 12 hours! Don't flame me if you love it there - it's just my opinion.
Yeah, the eastern seaboard to the north and south of DC are like different countries. We tried NY and hated it, but moved south and found life much more agreeable.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Before and if I ever move back to UK I want to try life on the East coast and that is my plan. I lived in VA for 3 years and loved it - wish I'd never left.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 10:37 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
I'm with you on life in Arizona. Been here since 1988 and have never felt Arizona was home. Good luck with whatever you decide..
Are you really saying you've been in a place you hate since 88'. Wow that's perseverance for you.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes family moved here from east coast. Dad died in 2002 at age 59 (same disease my brother just died from). I should have left then but life gets in the way - money, jobs, etc. I now have the freedom to move but not just yet..
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 4:47 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Yes family moved here from east coast. Dad died in 2002 at age 59 (same disease my brother just died from). I should have left then but life gets in the way - money, jobs, etc. I now have the freedom to move but not just yet..
Sounds like you've had it rough. Sorry about that. Wishing you the best.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldollard, the death I am taking the hardest is my brother's. My dad was lovely man but never really got to know him due to stepmum being a right cow. It's not all bad. I cry at least once about my brother but that is to be expected. My future looks bright it's just a case of wondering for how many more years I can be in US alone like so many others. My best to you as welll
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Before and if I ever move back to UK I want to try life on the East coast and that is my plan. I lived in VA for 3 years and loved it - wish I'd never left.
Fulwood, didn't know you were thinking about the east coast. Since you have lived there before and loved it, it sounds like a brilliant idea. Maybe it will be a transition spot to eventually going home, or maybe not. But it has to be better than where you are at right now, yes?