Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Possible Move From Aberdeen To Houston Info!!

Possible Move From Aberdeen To Houston Info!!

Old Aug 27th 2013, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Adamski25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Possible Move From Aberdeen To Houston Info!!

Good shout on the pest control -

My mate does both pool and pest control by himself with no issues..
Old Aug 27th 2013, 2:41 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible Move From Aberdeen To Houston Info!!

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I used to have professional pest control folk come - ABC, BAM etc, but about 4 years back I stopped. The service was being reduced, the prices were going up, and the effectiveness was going down. It started off about 50 per 2 months treating inside and out, and at the end I think it got to about $500 a year, but it was split out over 8 unevenly spaced visits, only treating outside.

I started doing it myself, and we have less problems than we ever had, and less chemicals getting squirted here there and everywhere, which was important as we have pets and kids. I do a regular visual of the foundation to check for termite tubes, ant/spider nests, other problems, and I do still use some chemicals - a once a year yard treatment for fire ants, and a once a quarter spray of the foundation (and the eaves I can reach) with particular attention to the weep holes. I haven't needed to treat inside at all. All in it probably costs $50 a year, and average 30 minutes a month.
I still pay to get mine done but am considering dropping it to be honest and doing it myself also. Mine is $60 every other month. Have seen very little activity inside the house though to be fair. My problem is fire ants in the yard. I kill them, they move. I kill them again, they move again. I'm yet to find a solution that lasts more than about 4 weeks.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 2:57 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
I still pay to get mine done but am considering dropping it to be honest and doing it myself also. Mine is $60 every other month. Have seen very little activity inside the house though to be fair. My problem is fire ants in the yard. I kill them, they move. I kill them again, they move again. I'm yet to find a solution that lasts more than about 4 weeks.
Have you tried Over and Out? Actually, this year I didn't use that as it wasn't in the stores, but it was the same sort of thing from Home Depot - treat the whole yard once, and it lasts "all season". I think they guarantee it for 3 months or something, but once a year seems to work for me. I hate to think what is actually in it.....I normally do it when we are about to go away - the day before Spring Break ideally, or just before a weekend away, so that it has time to soak in before the dog gets at it. It helps if the neighbours all do it at the same time, and I also go outside our propertyline and do a strip about 5' wide along the grass outside our fence.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 3:13 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Have you tried Over and Out? Actually, this year I didn't use that as it wasn't in the stores, but it was the same sort of thing from Home Depot - treat the whole yard once, and it lasts "all season". I think they guarantee it for 3 months or something, but once a year seems to work for me. I hate to think what is actually in it.....I normally do it when we are about to go away - the day before Spring Break ideally, or just before a weekend away, so that it has time to soak in before the dog gets at it. It helps if the neighbours all do it at the same time, and I also go outside our propertyline and do a strip about 5' wide along the grass outside our fence.
I need to check what I have been using. It's a whole yard treatment that I use a spreader for and I got it at HD - I think it's an Ortho product. My yard's such a mess right now I've given up on the ants for the time being. When it's all done I'll go back and treat it again. That may be the reason they keep springing up this year actually that they're getting disturbed constantly.