Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A Possible End To This Nightmare?

A Possible End To This Nightmare?

Old Oct 2nd 2001, 6:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Whether you all are interested or not, I'm going to fill you in on the lastest segement of our nightmare with NYC INS.

The Internal Audit Unit of INS in Washington, DC felt that Jim's complaint was inconsequential and turned the matter back to NYC for action/reaction against the surly, rude, ill-mannered and uninformed (or just malicious) employee. Of course, with the happenings here nothing has been heard of from them about this or the other letters sent to the District and Assistant District Directors and this man's supervior. You will note that I have been kind and attributed the lack of action or reaction to the WTC destruction and not because of lack of care and caring for immigrants.

Until yesterday we had not heard from the Congresswoman or her liaison either. A message was left on the machine for Jim and he returned the call this morning. After explaining (in detail) the problem and the fact that if his guard unit were to be sent out of the country he would not be allowed back into the US because he has no proof of residency since his stamp is expired and NYC refused to extend it and refused to look into where his green card is, the liaison decided it was time to do something about this. Do you think the sounds of artillery fire in the background sparked a need for them to act on this problem?

He called a bit ago with the news that if Jim could get a pass off base tomorrow the liaison would go with him to NYC INS to get his stamp. Unfortunately, Jim could not because someone on base infected all the computers with the new virus (brought in on a disk) and all systems are down and he is working feverishly to reinstate them all. It was a deliberate attempt to sabatage the communication sector of the guard.

The liaison is faxing him an appointment letter authorizing him to enter NYC INS for the express purpose of obtaining an extended I-551 in his passport.

So folks, whether you care or not, I ask you to cross your fingers in hopes that this solves part of the problem and the stamp is given.

Rita
Old Oct 2nd 2001, 6:54 pm
Andy Platt

>
    >

I have my fingers and my toes crossed!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Oct 2nd 2001, 8:16 pm
Alvena Ferreira

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
We care, and you and Jim must be the most patient people in the world to have
tolerated this sh*t from the NYC INS office. Good luck!

Alvena
--
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice; this is my personal opinion, posted
for the purpose of discussion only.
---
K-1 FAQ: http://www.k1faq.com Jonathan's K-1 pages: http://alixtcat.50megs.com/ Doc
Steen's Marriage Visa Information Pages:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm

Old Oct 2nd 2001, 8:21 pm
Shelley

When I take my daughter out to look at the stars tonight, I'll make an extra wish for
you. I hope this is last of your INS troubles. Take Care. Shelley

>
[usenetquote2]> > So folks, whether you care or not, I ask you to cross your fingers in hopes that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > this solves part of the problem and the stamp is given.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 2nd 2001, 10:04 pm
Xtrynytix

We have everything crossed. Take care.

Much love Becki and Mark, who finally tied the knot on the 13th September.

Old Oct 2nd 2001, 11:17 pm
Forcefulljack10

Rete <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
Some of us care Rita,thats why we frequent the group,Im crossing me fingers,toes and
whatever else I can cross for yers me darling - G'luck. FJ10.

Old Oct 3rd 2001, 12:41 am
Dianemartin

My fingers are crossed for you and Jim Rete!!!! My thoughts and prayers are with
you both!! Di

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 3rd 2001, 1:28 am
Betastar

>
    >

As you know, anything I could possibly cross I've got crossed for the two of you.

If it doesn't work out, let me know

Betastar

Old Oct 3rd 2001, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

Perdue is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck to you and Jim! I hope hope hope the NYC INS sees the light and gives Jim the stamp.
Old Oct 3rd 2001, 12:30 pm
Tammy

Sending positive vibes your direction...*fingers crossed*

Old Oct 3rd 2001, 8:50 pm
T

We pray and hope for Rete and Jim as well..

A Can Am fam...

Tim and the Gurls...

Old Oct 4th 2001, 2:38 pm
Ron

Rita, You have my best wishes that things turn out well for you.

Jim has evidently encountered the rude and obnoxious behavior that I have seen on
almost every visit to the INS in NYC. You had indicated before that those who might
be encountering this behavior were sometimes responsible by their own appearance,
actions and behavior. I hope you accept that in most cases this is not true and
perhaps you have been lucky up till now.

I only hope your luck returns.

I have to visit again 10/23 for EAD renewal (Ug!), Due to new security restrictions,
I understand I will not be able to accompany and support my wife through this
mistreatment. -- I hope we can go with the confidence of your preceeding good luck.

Ron Mahopac, NY

Rete wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 4th 2001, 5:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Ron

Of course I do. It is sometimes the fault of the customer and more often than not the fault of the employee. In our case, my outcome post of today, only verifies that the rude and insolent behavior was because of INS employees who were caught in the wrong and decided the best defense was offensive behavior.

Except for that one employee, Jim has always found NYC INS personnel to be helpful and courteous. Even on the day of this happening, he said the person on the information desk could not have been friendlier, more pleasant and helpful.

Rita

PS read the post from today for a description of the security measures.