Reload this Page >

Possible E2 move to Lakeland, Florida

Possible E2 move to Lakeland, Florida

Old May 30th 2011, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

keithjulie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possible E2 move to Lakeland, Florida

Hi all,
I in the very early stages of a possible move to Lakeland from the UK. We have a 17 year old who will be finishing school next August and starting University in the UK. We also have 2 x 6 year old girls and have been looking at elementary schools in Lakeland for them.
We have started the process of buying a business in the area and believe that we could have a great life, as well as fulfilling my wifes dream of owning the business.
Any help with the area would be great, such as schools etc, but also where to live. We visited an elementary school last week (Wendell Watson), when there and it is a lot different from the UK, but not in the negative.
We have looked at property in the Bridgewater area and liked, but are worried that there may be areas declining due to the economic climate, so have taken on board what has been stated here a lot.....rent!!
Any help from expats or people who may know the area would be appreciated.
Old May 30th 2011, 7:46 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible E2 move to Lakeland, Florida

Originally Posted by keithjulie
Hi all,
I in the very early stages of a possible move to Lakeland from the UK. We have a 17 year old who will be finishing school next August and starting University in the UK. We also have 2 x 6 year old girls and have been looking at elementary schools in Lakeland for them.
We have started the process of buying a business in the area and believe that we could have a great life, as well as fulfilling my wifes dream of owning the business.
Any help with the area would be great, such as schools etc, but also where to live. We visited an elementary school last week (Wendell Watson), when there and it is a lot different from the UK, but not in the negative.
We have looked at property in the Bridgewater area and liked, but are worried that there may be areas declining due to the economic climate, so have taken on board what has been stated here a lot.....rent!!
Any help from expats or people who may know the area would be appreciated.
Zoe ... the owner of this site lives in lakeland on an E-2
http://www.e2visareform.org/e2visare...g/Welcome.html

very approachable person
Old May 30th 2011, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Ray,
Thanks so much for the info, I will certainly get in touch.
Old May 30th 2011, 9:00 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

We have started the process of buying a business in the area and believe that we could have a great life,
for 4 years
Old May 30th 2011, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Manc
for 4 years

Sorry, I am not sure what you are asking? If you mean that it may be only for 4 years then I have to disagree as we believe that we can extend evrytime that the visa expires or we wouldn't even try.

We do have friends that took the same course of action (and business) that in their 5th year and thriving.
Old May 30th 2011, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I am not sure what you are asking? If you mean that it may be only for 4 years then I have to disagree as we believe that we can extend evrytime that the visa expires or we wouldn't even try.

We do have friends that took the same course of action (and business) that in their 5th year and thriving.
We have a 17 year old
17 plus 4 = 21.

But assuming the 17 year old is going their own way, not a prob.
Old May 30th 2011, 9:14 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I am not sure what you are asking?
then you have no business looking for a visa.

research.

ask questions.

if it's all about you then I am cool with that.
so long as you're prepared to be separated from your kids............ so long as YOU live in Florida right.
Old May 30th 2011, 9:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

But what about all the other businesses that aren't thriving, and who have been unable to renew?

The question for people who enquire about E-2's on this forum is always 'do you have children' and I can see why. Seems madness to me, to uproot kids and move with no guarantee of being able to stay permanently, but I guess it depends on the business. Fingers crossed for you.

Old May 30th 2011, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
17 plus 4 = 21.

But assuming the 17 year old is going their own way, not a prob.
Thanks Boiler and yes he is going his own way. We will miss him a lot but he will make a good man.
Old May 30th 2011, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Manc
then you have no business looking for a visa.

research.

ask questions.

if it's all about you then I am cool with that.
so long as you're prepared to be separated from your kids............ so long as YOU live in Florida right.
Manc,
I said in my first sentence that we are in the 'very early' stages. Our son would have been leaving home next year anyway as he is off to Uni, and may even be going to Holland in order to achieve that.
We are in the very early stages, looking for advice, hence our request here and I already believe that Zoe, mentioned earlier is a good source. i would hope that others here would also be that. My job in the UK is bad, they are carrying out regular 'voluntary redundancies' and my wife is looking for a new challange for her job, so if we are going to ever move abroad then that may be now. I have lived abroad from birth to I was 18 years and then spent 22 years in the Navy, so I have my eyes wide open.
I appreciate your advice to research and ask questions, and that is where you guys and gals can help.
Any advice appreciated.
Old May 30th 2011, 9:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear. I watched a UK TV program about Brits in Florida over the weekend...one particular family had bought a business and moved out there...it wasn't good. The wife and daughter had to go back to the UK to renew their E2 visa...it was declined. So they are in the UK and the husband and son are in Florida trying to keep their business afloat. Another was a couple who had moved because his wife was a nurse...she found out she had cancer...then her husband fell down the stairs. The healthcare costs have wiped them out and they can't sell their house to move back to the UK.

Of course there are happy endings too.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 30th 2011 at 10:10 pm.
Old May 30th 2011, 10:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

city-data.com if probably the best place to ask about a particular area if you want to know about the quality of schools and cost of living...
Old May 31st 2011, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
city-data.com if probably the best place to ask about a particular area if you want to know about the quality of schools and cost of living...
Also www.greatschools.org
Old May 31st 2011, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Polk County is generally a bit backwards, run-down and in-bred. Highest per capita teenage pregnancy, meth abuse, DUI and child abuse in the state.
Lakeland is in no-man's-land. Bartow and Winter Haven are plain horrible.
Old May 31st 2011, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
Polk County is generally a bit backwards, run-down and in-bred. Highest per capita teenage pregnancy, meth abuse, DUI and child abuse in the state.
Lakeland is in no-man's-land. Bartow and Winter Haven are plain horrible.
Bob and Lisa, many thanks for the information.

Awesome Welles, That for the update but it seems that different people have different attitudes as I have some saying good, and some saying bad things. This will be a tough decision.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.