Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

positives about emigrating to US/Michigan

Wikiposts

positives about emigrating to US/Michigan

Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

lyndilou has a spectacular aura aboutlyndilou has a spectacular aura aboutlyndilou has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: positives about emigrating to US/Michigan

Originally Posted by RBB223
Depends on what he likes. For me the UP is a little bit of heaven, good deer hunting, wild country, beautiful wild scenery, great forests, lots of cedar - but most English aren't terribly interested in these things.

I'd never live in lower Michigan.
Yes he loves wildlife and in fact he is very much into wildife photography which I think he would love.
I know I have my work cut out but I will keep trying i am sure it would be good for us both emotionally and financially
Old Mar 11th 2008, 12:21 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget to budget for healthcare (check your insurance status) or even long-term care - I have no idea how it works in the US, but I suspect it involves the shirt off your back...
Old Mar 13th 2008, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

How long does it take for a family based sponsorship to take place?
Old Mar 13th 2008, 9:06 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave2702
It depends on what the relationship is. USCIS defines Immediate Relatives of US citizens as parents, spouses and children. Immediate Relatives have no wait for a visa number and may immigrate immediately (where 'immediately = one year or so).
More distant relations than that are all on quota systems; you can research the numbers on the State Dept's Visa Bulletin.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 9:16 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

You know... I lived in Michigan for about six months while studying at uni and it was pretty good, actually. Dunno what all the fuss is about.

As for it being a northern state and having no summer, well that's just wrong. The Midwest has two distinct seasons: winter and summer. There's about two weeks of spring and two weeks of autumn and that's yer lot! Otherwise it's freezing snow blizzards for five months and 90% humidity for the rest.

If you're prepared for it and have good footwear you'll be all set. Good luck!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

lyndilou has a spectacular aura aboutlyndilou has a spectacular aura aboutlyndilou has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by dave2702
hi there we just need to wait for our son to get his citizenship sorted first.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 10:10 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingerert
If you're prepared for it and have good footwear you'll be all set.
Much like life.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 10:12 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Much like life.
My Dad always said one of the worst feelings in the world was having wet feet. Think my footwear advice must come from him...
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:36 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

You know... I lived in Michigan for about six months while studying at uni and it was pretty good, actually. Dunno what all the fuss is about.
all the scenery in the world can't pay the mortgage.

jobs, more importantly, good jobs are few and far between.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 3:56 pm
Ginger Monkey

Originally Posted by Manc
all the scenery in the world can't pay the mortgage.

jobs, more importantly, good jobs are few and far between.
I thought Lyndilou was retiring out there? Surely she won't need a job? In FACT... if she's retiring to an impoverished state then there'll be loads of volunteer stuff to do in her empty days to help the poor Michigan citizens and she and her husband will be too darn tootin' busy to miss ol' Blighty!

Problem? Sorted.

(I do understand your point though... it's something serious to consider)
Old Mar 15th 2008, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

I thought Lyndilou was retiring out there? Surely she won't need a job? In FACT... if she's retiring to an impoverished state then there'll be loads of volunteer stuff to do in her empty days to help the poor Michigan citizens and she and her husband will be too darn tootin' busy to miss ol' Blighty!

Problem? Sorted.

(I do understand your point though... it's something serious to consider)
thanks for all your positive vibes (not)
Old Mar 15th 2008, 11:29 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyndilou
thanks for all your positive vibes (not)
what would you like me to do? tell you the streets are paved with f**king gold?
Old Mar 15th 2008, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

what would you like me to do? tell you the streets are paved with f**king gold?
no just ordinary gold will do
Old Mar 15th 2008, 11:44 am
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by lyndilou
no just ordinary gold will do
You'll need Benton Harbor for that.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

You'll need Benton Harbor for that.
been there its not as bad as some places near where I live now i can tell you