Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pointing in the right Direction?

Pointing in the right Direction?

Old Jun 29th 2012, 6:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pointing in the right Direction?

Originally Posted by KArly1987
I wish now I had applied for University.
You're still young, so why not do that? If you really want to move to the US you can do, but you'll need to think of it as a 10 yr plan - get a degree, find a job with a multinational company, then work your way up and ask for a transfer.

Perfectly achievable, but just not quickly!

Good luck.

Old Jun 30th 2012, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

davidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to all

plenty of Brits seem to get temporary summer jobs here, working in restaurants, sport coaches at camps, etc. Not sure if they do this through temp visa program or just "informally". But it's worth trying it out for a few months to see if you even like the life.
We won the green card lottery back when you could submit multiple applications....you just had to know how to distribute them!
Old Jun 30th 2012, 2:32 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TangoBlue
GPA is usually out of (maximum) 4.0 scale I believe.
Usually, yes. However, it's possible to get extra points for any number of reasons, so a GPA of 4.0+ is entirely feasible.

Ian
Old Jun 30th 2012, 2:54 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KArly1987
I just don't know where to start looking. I don't know the care work rules in America, but I am also not afraid to do manual labour like working on building sites or farms. Not afraid to get my hands dirty

If anybody could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated

H2a or H2b. You'll not enjoy either them.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 5:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidtheprof
plenty of Brits seem to get temporary summer jobs here, working in restaurants, sport coaches at camps, etc.
Camp jobs could be a real work visa, but working in a restaurant is not. If you see a Brit who is in the USA on the VWP on vacation, working in a restaurant, they are working illegally.

Not sure if they do this through temp visa program or just "informally".
What does "informally" mean? You mean "illegally"?

But it's worth trying it out for a few months to see if you even like the life.
It's worth coming for a visit to the USA, yes. It's not worth working illegally.

Rene
Old Jul 1st 2012, 7:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidtheprof
plenty of Brits seem to get temporary summer jobs here, working in restaurants, sport coaches at camps, etc. Not sure if they do this through temp visa program or just "informally". But it's worth trying it out for a few months to see if you even like the life.
We won the green card lottery back when you could submit multiple applications....you just had to know how to distribute them!
The dodgy Irish folks in the pubs of Boston? Most of them are illegal, cash in hand, they come over and leave after the summer, but many come over on college exchange type programs and work illegally on the side. Or they come over as nannies.

The sports camps are either BUNAC type programs or H2B seasonal work.

A few folks do get brought over on some kind of cultural exchange to work at the odd pub too, bit like Disney bring folks over.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The dodgy Irish folks in the pubs of Boston? Most of them are illegal, cash in hand, they come over and leave after the summer, but many come over on college exchange type programs and work illegally on the side. Or they come over as nannies.

The sports camps are either BUNAC type programs or H2B seasonal work.

A few folks do get brought over on some kind of cultural exchange to work at the odd pub too, bit like Disney bring folks over.
I did the "Work America" Programme organised by BUNAC where they arranged the JI for me, organised flight and orientation in NY, also got a SSN and could work anywhere, valid for 6 months I think. I went to Virginia Beach and had a blast.