Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

POE - Dallas - NO I-551 stamp :-((

POE - Dallas - NO I-551 stamp :-((

Old Nov 1st 2001, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

brianr is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey all,

A quick message from me just got in from arriving on K-1 visa at DFW airport.

We got in just fine, BUT - and this is a new rule that has just come into effect... NO work authorisation stamp at POE.

I should have arrived in October as they were still doing them... from now on, you have to go to the Dallas INS office for them. Guess what? This is to prevent terrorists from working in the USA

Seems that several of the established "rules" that we have all been used to are changing.

Watch this space for me as I go and try to get the low down in the morning from them as to what we have to do next... now I am off to celebrate my arrival in the USA (and my birthday too).

Brian.
Old Nov 1st 2001, 11:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Brian

Just for the record the I-551 is the green card stamp you get after your AOS interview. You are not eligible for that quite yet.

You will looking for an EAD stamp and/or the EAD Card at the POE which is good for only 90 days. Unless you are using Dallas, go to the INS office you are going to using and ask them for the 90 day temporary EAD. If you are using Dallas, get married quickly and file for AOS and you will be approved for your green card the same day and will get the I-551 stamp in your passport right there and then and that will allow you to work without having to filing for and paying for a 1 year EAD card.

FWIW, very very very few POE's have been giving out the stamp and/or card for the last year or so.

Rita
Old Nov 2nd 2001, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

>You will looking for an EAD stamp and/or the EAD Card
>at the POE which is good for only 90 days.

Oops... yes, quite right. I am weary after a 10 hour flight (been awake for 20 hours altogether). Until today, DFW airport was giving them out the 90 days stamp, but now won't do that (that's what I meant to say in the first place).

>Dallas INS...

With these ongoing changes, I wonder if they are still doing the same-day AOS?

Like I said, I'll call Friday.

Brian.
Old Nov 2nd 2001, 3:06 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If you think about it there is no reason no to do instant AOS for K-1'ers. After all the foreigner is already in the US, police clearance was obtained from the foreign country(ies) and an FBI clearance obtained by the inquiry of the US Consulate. If the K-1'er were a terrorist, they are already here and whether or not they have their AOS now or two years from now would make no difference.

Rita
Old Nov 2nd 2001, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Rete
If you think about it there is no reason no to do instant AOS for K-1'ers. After all the foreigner is already in the US, police clearance was obtained from the foreign country(ies) and an FBI clearance obtained by the inquiry of the US Consulate. If the K-1'er were a terrorist, they are already here and whether or not they have their AOS now or two years from now would make no difference.

Rita
What you say is very logical. Is the US Govt well known for this kind of thing (being logical)?

Brian.
Old Nov 4th 2001, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Mili is an unknown quantity at this point
Default question that brian or rita might be able to answer

Hi, my fiance will be here on dec 10th, and we are going to get married immediately and file for AOS as soon we get the marriage certificate...how long do you think it will be before he will be able able to leave the U.S. again, we are planning on an Australian honeymoon and want to go right after we are married...will that I551 stamp be good enough for him to be able to go? And if so how long does it take to get that stamp? Any help you could offer would be much obliged...thanks a ton!
Old Nov 4th 2001, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

Mili is an unknown quantity at this point
Default by the way

by the way we are filing through dallas...
Old Nov 5th 2001, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: by the way

When I got my K-1 visa, I was also given a warning sheet by the embassy that reads like this:

"Fiance(e) visas, also known as K-1 visas, are valid for only ONE entry to the USA. K-1 visa holders must marry within 90 days of arrival in the USA and must thereafter adjust to lawful permanent resident status (LPR) with the INS prior to departure from the USA.

K-1 visa applicants therefore, should PLAN TO REMAIN in the USA until they have married and adjusted to LPR status. Applicants may adjust status by applying to their local INS office after the marriage has taken place. THIS PROCESS MAY TAKE A FEW MONTHS. These travel restrictions apply to ANY trip outside the USA (i.e. honeymoons, emergency tracel to the fiance(e)'s home country etc). If your departure from the USA is absolutely unavoidable prior to adjusting your legal status, please immediately contact the nearest INS office BEFORE leaving the USA."

Now this heavy sounding warning really means that you MUST apply for Advance Paroll at the same time as you file for the adjustment of status (AOS) from K-1 to LPR. Lucky for us that the Dallas INS office will do the AOS and Advance parol stuff al on the same day as a "walk-in". check back some of the AOS experiences online. Here's a tip, look at the sig line on one of Alvina's posts as she lists the best of them there (Thanks for that Alvina).

Hope this helps.

Brian.
Old Nov 5th 2001, 2:31 am
Concierge

Brian

It's Alvena.

The one day AOS is at Dallas, Detroit and Sault Ste. Marie, MI.

Three very lucky places to be.

The warning you were given is a standard and applies to everyone but Canadians who for some reason can travel outside of the US back to "Canada" as long as they have not married after they activated their K-1. After marriage, like everyone else they must also have advance parole to visit, vacation, etc. outside of the borders of the US.

Rita
Old Nov 5th 2001, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

>It's Alvena.

>Rita

Ohhh - how confusing

Brian.