Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Please and thankyou.. a British thing?

Please and thankyou.. a British thing?

Old Nov 2nd 2006, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please and thankyou.. a British thing?

Originally Posted by Titchski
I dislike "Give me a" instead of "may I have a" or "I would like the"
Me too. I think it's a cultural difference, being brought up with the mantra "I want never gets", it grates when you hear it, although in most instances they don't mean to be rude.

Some people do take it to the extreme though. Several times when picking up a takeaway from the chinese, I have noticed some people picking up orders won't give them the time of day. The person behind the counter is always very friendly, but some people just talk right over her, blurt out their order number and almost throw the money at them in contempt before storming out.

Another one that kills me is the people who cannot be arsed to hang up their cell phones at checkouts and when ordering food. Thats one thing I've got to give credit to our local post office for - there is a sign that says if you are blabbing on your phone when you come to the counter, you'll go to the back of the line!
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 2:18 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Please and thankyou.. a British thing?

I noticed how few children said "Thank you" when they were on our doorstep collecting Hallowe'en candy.

People can be quite rude here in the NY metro area. In fact, the rudest person I've encountered is my friend's boyfriend - aged 34 and a former schoolteacher.

He almost never says a greeting - if he does it's just "Hey" and it's only if we say a greeting to him first. On a number of occasions if we are out and he and my friend get into a taxi or they get off the train a couple of stops before us, my friend says 'goodbye' and he says nothing at all! (She has pulled him up about it too). How bloody rude!

I've noticed that he's like that with other people too...I don't know if it's arrogance or the way he was brought up (parents were Ukrainian immigrants, also teachers).
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

My parents were here recently and my mam noticed that noone says 'goodbye' to the assistants who work in shops, despite all the greetings exchanged when you enter. She does it out of politeness all the time and wondered if she was actually offending people here by saying it!

Whenever I say goodbye to someone, particularly on the telephone, it's usually replied to with a sort of 'mmm mmm' kind of sound..

As for the "Give me a..." instead of "I would like..." or "please could I have..." it's probably caused by the 'to go' mentality, ordering something 'to go' whilst yapping on the phone. The students here are particularly bad in this respect and they probably hate me for being civil, polite and exchanging time-wasting small talk with the person pouring my coffee.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 3:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsnichol
My parents were here recently and my mam noticed that noone says 'goodbye' to the assistants who work in shops, despite all the greetings exchanged when you enter.
Transaction completed...no need for further phony friendlyness!!!
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Do we really think that children in the UK have manners? I think there will always be well and ill mannered children where ever you go. I must say though that here in Texas the VAST majorty of kids and 'youths' are very well mannered (if not using please and thank you still polite) from all walks of life.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 3:03 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

All the kids I know call me Mr Ray ...........
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Transaction completed...no need for further phony friendlyness!!!
I think it's just in her nature. She grew up in working-class Sunderland where you were given a clip round the ear with a coal scuttle if you weren't polite and well-behaved.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 3:15 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsnichol
I think it's just in her nature. She grew up in working-class Sunderland where you were given a clip round the ear with a coal scuttle if you weren't polite and well-behaved.
I was thinking more from the point of view of the shop assistant

"have a nice day"
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
Do we really think that children in the UK have manners? I think there will always be well and ill mannered children where ever you go. I must say though that here in Texas the VAST majorty of kids and 'youths' are very well mannered (if not using please and thank you still polite) from all walks of life.
Very true. Some of the kids hanging around on street corners in the UK are terrible.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Very true. Some of the kids hanging around on street corners in the UK are terrible.
And my Parents generation said the same thing about my generation and so it go's on.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 3:52 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by britvic
And my Parents generation said the same thing about my generation and so it go's on.
Never happens in Canada..all the kids are at the arena beating the crap out of each other. Hockey...its like a religion, only its taken really seriously here!

Seriously though, give kids something to do and they dont hang around on street corners...its not entirely the kids fault!
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 4:35 pm
sun lover

sambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond repute

If my daughters have any friends over they usually warn them that 'please' and 'thankyous' go along way in our house. If they forget to tell them. I make sure I do.

If they are in my house, they abide by my rules.

I must say I don't like the 'sure' and 'i dunnow' answers.

"would you like a drink?"
"sure" or "I dunnow"

If I get these I usually reply, "it's not a hard question", "either, yes please, or no thankyou"

I find the boys politer than the girls here, I often hear a 'sir' or 'mam', from them and i don't think I ever heard that in the UK
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

My Wife and I are drilling manners into our Boys.
Recently, I have been training them to eat with a knife and fork also.

We get comments from people over the manners and it just warms the cockles of yer 'eart.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 4:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Generally, haven't noticed to many people saying please and thank you, but a lot of the trick or treaters that came with parents, the parents did tell the kids to say thank you, well not all, but a fair few.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 5:38 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Murecan kids say more "yes sir....no Ma'am", rather than please and thank you....it blighty kids say "wot you lookin at yer ****** ponce"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.