Reload this Page >

Please Help!!

Please Help!!

Old Jul 28th 2002, 1:19 am
Just Joined

sebek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please Help!!

Someone please answer,

I met my wife in Poland 2 years ago and last summer she came here on a tourist Visa with 6month stamp. We got married this year before her I-94 expired. In June I became a US citizen and now we are filing the I-130 along with other forms to get my wife a green card. But her I-94 is now expired.

I was wondering, if she can apply for a social security number so she can get financial aid at a university?? Also how long will she have to wait for the SSN and also how long before she will get her Green Card?? It says in order to get a SSN you need an "unexpired" I-94, so is there any other way she can receive a ssn? will she get it automatically once we send her forms for adjustment of status??
Thank YOu and please respond as I need information quickly
Old Jul 28th 2002, 11:20 am
Matta Harri

Default Re: Please Help!!

In article <[email protected]>, sebek
<[email protected]> wrote:
    > I met my wife in Poland 2 years ago and last summer she came here on a tourist Visa
    > with 6month stamp. We got married this year before her I-94 expired. In June I
    > became a US citizen and now we are filing the I-130 along with other forms to get
    > my wife a green card. But her I-94 is now expired. I was wondering, if she can
    > apply for a social security number so she can get financial aid at a university??
    > Also how long will she have to wait for the SSN and also how long before she will
    > get her Green Card?? It says in order to get a SSN you need an "unexpired" I-94, so
    > is there any other way she can receive a ssn? will she get it automatically once we
    > send her forms for adjustment of status?? Thank YOu and please respond as I need
    > information quickly
    >
You need to file for the EAD card at the same time as the I-130, file all at local
INS office. once she gets the EAD card, then she can go to SS office and apply,
however there will be a wait for them to check with INS on her immigration status. It
could take as long as 3 months to get the SSN after she gets the EAD card, this seems
to vary a bit by SS office.

matta