British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Please don't hold this against me (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/please-dont-hold-against-me-802938/)

Tammy1629 Jul 15th 2013 2:36 pm

Please don't hold this against me

Please don't hold this against me that I am American here on your page, I love the British I always have and hope to make some new friends here. I am in Olathe which is a part of the Greater kansas City area :)

Mr Weeze Jul 15th 2013 2:37 pm

Re: Please don't hold this against me

As long as you get humour you'll be fine.

SultanOfSwing Jul 15th 2013 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Tammy1629 (Post 10801062)
Please don't hold this against me that I am American here on your page, I love the British I always have and hope to make some new friends here. I am in Olathe which is a part of the Greater kansas City area :)

There are loads of Americans already on here, so you're not alone. Then you have the Brits who have become US citzens as well, if that counts ...

Tammy1629 Jul 15th 2013 2:52 pm

I know I will love it here, I love humour, and I will enjoy the friendships I make here

MarylandNed Jul 15th 2013 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10801077)
Then you have the Brits who have become US citzens as well, if that counts ...

It doesn't :)

Seriously, I became a USC about 6 years ago but it doesn't make me American. I don't think I'll ever be that. Having been raised in Northern Ireland, I consider myself Irish first and foremost. After that, I have much more in common with the British as I went to uni in England, lived/worked there afterwards and got married there. I have Canadian citizenship too but I certainly don't consider myself Canadian - although I am certainly more in tune with the Canadian view on life and the world in general than I am with the American one. The longer I live in the US, the stranger and more baffling it becomes to me.

Jerseygirl Jul 15th 2013 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Tammy1629 (Post 10801062)

Welcome!

As others have said we have several American members...so you are not alone. Just accept us for what we are...a bunch of very helpful people, who like a good moan and have a wicked sense of humour. ;)

SultanOfSwing Jul 15th 2013 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 10801096)

It does for immigration purposes at least. I might be British by birth and I'm certainly culturally British but if I ever want to travel out of the country (irrespective of which one I use at my destination), it'll be on an American passport.

MarylandNed Jul 15th 2013 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10801114)
It does for immigration purposes at least. I might be British by birth and I'm certainly culturally British but if I ever want to travel out of the country (irrespective of which one I use at my destination), it'll be on an American passport.

Yeah, but the passport you carry doesn't define you. And the OP is American anyway so I doubt there is much need for US immigration advice.

SultanOfSwing Jul 15th 2013 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 10801147)
Yeah, but the passport you carry doesn't define you.

I was being facetious.

MarylandNed Jul 15th 2013 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10801150)
I was being facetious.

See? I've obviously been here too long. Completely lost my sense of humor/humour.

SultanOfSwing Jul 15th 2013 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 10801167)
See? I've obviously been here too long. Completely lost my sense of humor/humour.

No, I'm just really good at it :nod:

Pulaski Jul 15th 2013 3:35 pm

Hi Tammy, welcome to BE. As Sultan said, you are not alone as a USC, and a good number of us are naturalised dual citizens.

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze (Post 10801063)
As long as you get humour you'll be fine.

Please note, humour includes irony, ... and bare-faced sarcasm. :rolleyes:

Most of us here with posts in the thousands know where to draw the line, and the moderators do sterling work in keeping us in line! :) If you'd care to look at threads over the past few months the threads with hundreds of posts will show you what the hot topics here have been, and may enable you to get to know some of the "key players" here. Please stay around and have some fun!

Pulaski Jul 15th 2013 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10801150)
I was being facetious.

That's so not like you! :confused:

civilservant Jul 15th 2013 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 10801096)

Seriously, I became a USC about 6 years ago but it doesn't make me American. I don't think I'll ever be that. Having been raised in Northern Ireland, I consider myself Irish first and foremost. After that, I have much more in common with the British as I went to uni in England, lived/worked there afterwards and got married there. I have Canadian citizenship too but I certainly don't consider myself Canadian - although I am certainly more in tune with the Canadian view on life and the world in general than I am with the American one. The longer I live in the US, the stranger and more baffling it becomes to me.

Amen to that.

You can take the boy out of Somerset, and all that :)

:welcome: to BE

SultanOfSwing Jul 15th 2013 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10801177)
That's so not like you! :confused:

Oh, stop it you :D

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 10801183)
Amen to that.

You can take the boy out of Somerset, and all that :)

:welcome: to BE

Just be thankful you're not from this town, or you'd think twice about using that rhyme :p