Reload this Page >

Play groups or kindergarten in downtown jersey city

Play groups or kindergarten in downtown jersey city

Old Mar 15th 2013, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

Doug50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Play groups or kindergarten in downtown jersey city

Hi all,

I'm moving my family to New Jersey next week. The company are putting us up in downtown jersey city for 2 months until we find ourselves a house a bit further out.

I have a 4 year old daughter and am keen to put her in to a playgroup or kindergarten for a few hours a week, but only for 2 months.

Can anyone recommend anywhere that will let us do that?

Also when do we apply for her schools? As we'll only decide on where to move by late May.

Many thanks,

Doug
Old Mar 16th 2013, 6:50 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Play groups or kindergarten in downtown jersey city

You may want to google preschools and the area you will be living in. She may not be old enough for Kindergarten until the next school year starts, depends on her birthday.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 8:28 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Play groups or kindergarten in downtown jersey city

Originally Posted by Doug50
Hi all,

I'm moving my family to New Jersey next week. The company are putting us up in downtown jersey city for 2 months until we find ourselves a house a bit further out.

I have a 4 year old daughter and am keen to put her in to a playgroup or kindergarten for a few hours a week, but only for 2 months.

Can anyone recommend anywhere that will let us do that?

Also when do we apply for her schools? As we'll only decide on where to move by late May.

Many thanks,

Doug
Hoboken (right next to JC) has this:

http://hobokenfamily.com/?p=3726 (note the Upcoming Events on the right)

http://www.meetup.com/HobokenMoms/

http://www.childavenue.com/pages/pla...newjersey.html (Scroll down the page for Hudson County)

Btw; before moving to a town do check that the Pre-K operate a full school day....some towns only offer a half-day! Which towns are you interested in at the moment?
Old Mar 16th 2013, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Jersey City is classed as an Abbott District, you may want to google what this actually means. Your daughter is too young for kindergarten and I highly recommend you take your time choosing a private daycare/Pre-K/playgroup. Through my job I have visited many, many Pre-Ks and elementary schools throughout NJ.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Hoboken (right next to JC) has this:

Btw; before moving to a town do check that the Pre-K operate a full school day....some towns only offer a half-day! Which towns are you interested in at the moment?

I'm looking at Madison, Summit. Basically anywhere that has decent schools and a decent commute to Weehawken where I will be working.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 9:12 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Play groups or kindergarten in downtown jersey city

I'm looking at Madison, Summit. Basically anywhere that has decent schools and a decent commute to Weehawken where I will be working.
My house is located near the station before Summit on the MidTown Direct & Hoboken train lines; Short Hills, which is part of Millburn and the Millburn school district.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

I've heard that's a nice area.

Are schools free for 4 year olds? Or will it cost? I've heard it gets pretty expensive.

Also, do you think $2500 a month is enough to rent a decent 3 bed house. My wife's expectations are pretty high but just looking at realtor.com and am worried that $2500 may not be enough to get her what she wants.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 10:19 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

4 years olds can go to preschool, only free if you are very low income or the child has special needs around here. We paid $22 a day for Dd to go to preschool. 8-12 twice a week.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 1:32 am
Just Joined

So, I've called up a few nurseries and everything in downtown jersey city is roughly $1100+ per month. This seems incredibly expensive. Does anyone know of any nursery that is more like $700 per month, which is more affordable.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 2:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

So, I've called up a few nurseries and everything in downtown jersey city is roughly $1100+ per month. This seems incredibly expensive. Does anyone know of any nursery that is more like $700 per month, which is more affordable.
I think you are going to have to wait until you get there and check around. I have a niece in Minneapolis that lives next to a home that they use as a nursery that is just a beautiful place with a large yard completely enclosed with all kinds of recreational equipment in the yard and several in staff in attendance at all times. The price is reasonable but are 100% booked and when openings occur, it filled by a wait list or by word of mouth.

If both you and your wife work, you'll get federal tax credit for each child (minimum of 20% of child care expenses for maximum credit of $3,000 per child or $6,000 for two or more children). It is a tax credit so it is applied against taxes owed and not income. There is also a child tax credit but that is unconditional.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc602.html

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Child-Tax-Credit